Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone has tried the new Nokian One on a Bolt EV?

I'm close to biting the bullet but would have liked to see any comments about the impact on range.

The tire seems very interesting with its aramid reinforced sidewalls, its 760 treadwear rating and the usual Nokian road hazards warranty. On top of this, it's designed and marked as a "low rolling resistance" tire.

It would for sure be a step up from the stock Michelin tires... But range is not something I want to compromise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hadn't heard of these, very interesting. It looks like they're not widely available yet, but some places have them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'd make sure to track down some unbiased reviews first. They aren't necessarily better than OEM. Obviously by design a low rolling resistance/long mileage tire isn't "sticky". But it depends on your local weather. I dropped the Michelin for the Nokian WR G4 All Weather tires for my Chicago area seasons. And really I can't say that I've noticed a range decrease at all but I drive like it's a normal car, with my efficiency 2.4 in the winter (140 miles at 94%) and 4.7 in the summer (250 miles). How I drive has more of an impact on the range than the tires, at least in my case.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hadn't heard of these, very interesting. It looks like they're not widely available yet, but some places have them.
Availability is not an issue in my region.
Also, one thing I did not mention is that they cost $400 CAD less than the OEM Michelin - talking about a set of 4 here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Bolt isn't quite due for new tires yet, but I've been looking at the Nokian One. Looks like a great tire, I just hope they have a somewhat similar rolling resistance to the OEM Michelins. That's one thing that really bothered me ever since I started driving an EV - that there's no standard measurement or rating system for rolling resistance. Makes it really difficult to compare tires if they haven't been tested by Consumer Reports or Tire Rack, etc. If you do get the Nokians, please report back with your experiences. I'd be really interested in hearing how the rolling resistance compares to the Michelins.

·
Registered
47 Posts
"...this is your go-to all-season tire to perform in wet, hot or even light snowy roads"

Looking at the tread pattern they seem low rolling resistance tires made for dry and wet. Wouldn't put these on any snowy surface unless new.

"the one for safety: excellent grip and handling in all conditions"

meh, not really imo but let's see.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally decided to give them a shot. Next Monday it is.

Will report on them as soon as I have some relevant data. Luckily, we have 2 Bolt EV, the other one having fairly new original tires to compare with.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had the Nokian One installed for about two weeks now.
The other Bolt has its stock Michelin tires installed today. I will be able to make measurements soon.

For now, I can say that the ride is smooth and pretty silent. I think the Nokian are more confortable than the Michelin. For the range, my ball park estimation is that the loss is 0%. Unfortunately, the weather is not on the warm side this year and until I can properly compare with the other car, this is just very subjective.

Follow-up in few days...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts