Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put 225-50/17 tires on our Bolt. Yes, I know about range loss. I have been driving a Volt for the last 4 years and upsizing the 215-50/17 tires to 225/50/17 was the best thing I ever did to that car. I know what I'm getting in to there. But I am wondering if anyone has done it on the Bolt yet and can confirm that they would fit without any interference.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
698 Posts
A typical +1 tire size would increase the width and decrease the sidewall, trying to maintain the effective tire height. 215-50/17 would go to 235-45/17

The sidewall is a % of the width so:
0.5 * 215 = 107.5 and 235 * 0.45 = 105.75 a delta of 1.75mm x 2 = 3.5mm
107.5mm VS 225 * 0.5 = 112.5 delta of 5mm x 2 = 10mm your proposed swap

I am not endorsing your tire swap, but if you are determined to do it I would suggest using this online calculator to determine the best alternate sizes that minimally change the tire height.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
Tire height is pretty irrelevant in this case. Tire radius, i,.e. how much does it raise or lower the car, is more interesting. Further, there is very little room between the tire and the front shock assembly, so I'd be very surprised if anything wider than a 235 fit on the front, and there would be little clearance on a 235.

225x50 would raise the car less than 5mm, 225x45 would lower the car less than 6mm. I say less than, because of the compression of the flat side of the tire. The speedo error would be comparable - around 5%.

Personally, I'm leaning toward the 225x50, mainly because Michelin PS/AS-3 doesn't come in 215x50x17.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
That reminds me I need to check the speedometer accuracy on the Bolt. Most cars come from the factory with the speedometer running 2-3% fast. I know on my Mazda3 I increased my tire size from the stock 205/50-17 to 215/50-17 and my speedometer still runs about 1% fast.

For the Bolt if the speedometer runs fast I'll probably run 225/50-17.

Pirelli makes a summer tire that's still LRR (CINTURATO P7) which is what I'm thinking of getting right now.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
That reminds me I need to check the speedometer accuracy on the Bolt. Most cars come from the factory with the speedometer running 2-3% fast. I know on my Mazda3 I increased my tire size from the stock 205/50-17 to 215/50-17 and my speedometer still runs about 1% fast.
The odometer and speedometer on my Bolt is completely accurate as far as I can measure. That's using stock wheels and tires with less than 5,000 km on them. The same was true of my Prius C.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The odometer and speedometer on my Bolt is completely accurate as far as I can measure. That's using stock wheels and tires with less than 5,000 km on them. The same was true of my Prius C.
Yeah my casual observation tells me the same, to verify I will need to do a run at highway speed with someone else driving while I compare against two different GPS enabled devices (I have a Garmin Nav unit and my phone).

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
FWIW, our Bolt speedometer is dead nuts with two GPS units.

I have been driving a Volt for the last 4 years and upsizing the 215-50/17 tires to 225/50/17 was the best thing I ever did to that car.
X2 sharing your findings when upsizing tires on your Volt. And please tell us which tire you installed. Just larger tells us very little, because not all tires in a size are created equal. On my ICEs, switching from the lying-rat-*******-"all-season" OEM tires to a top-rated summer performance tire and a true winter tire, both still in the OEM size, makes a huge noticeable increase in the performance envelope. Because the majority of US drivers are too lazy/cheap to use two sets of tire/wheel and many live in regions where they hope against hope they can get there alive most winters with "all-season", most vehicles come with a compromise tire which does naught to optimum. End long rant from a forty-year-tire-guy and we look forward to your experience in upsized tires.

jack vines

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm looking to put 225-50/17 tires on our Bolt. Yes, I know about range loss. I have been driving a Volt for the last 4 years and upsizing the 215-50/17 tires to 225/50/17 was the best thing I ever did to that car. I know what I'm getting in to there. But I am wondering if anyone has done it on the Bolt yet and can confirm that they would fit without any interference.

Thanks in advance.
Did you ever try this? I would like to get Michelin CrossClimate+ for my Bolt but they are also only available in 225/50R17 in my area.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Did you ever try this? I would like to get Michelin CrossClimate+ for my Bolt but they are also only available in 225/50R17 in my area.
Don't let that deter you from the tire you want. Any Michelin dealer can get in any size Michelin offers in their catalog. Tire Rack, et al, are happy to ship you any size and will have them on your doorstep before you get the phone back in your pocket.

jack vines

·
Registered
204 Posts
I, for what it's worth gave this great thought and then stuck with original tyres. Is just fine with wheel spacers, black wheels and blue calipers
IMHO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't let that deter you from the tire you want. Any Michelin dealer can get in any size Michelin offers in their catalog. Tire Rack, et al, are happy to ship you any size and will have them on your doorstep before you get the phone back in your pocket.

jack vines
By "my area" I meant North America. The tire is only available in my size in Europe. The dealers cannot import it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A typical +1 tire size would increase the width and decrease the sidewall, trying to maintain the effective tire height. 215-50/17 would go to 235-45/17

The sidewall is a % of the width so:
0.5 * 215 = 107.5 and 235 * 0.45 = 105.75 a delta of 1.75mm x 2 = 3.5mm
107.5mm VS 225 * 0.5 = 112.5 delta of 5mm x 2 = 10mm your proposed swap

I am not endorsing your tire swap, but if you are determined to do it I would suggest using this online calculator to determine the best alternate sizes that minimally change the tire height.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator
Considering doing the 235/45R17 CrossClimate+ once the winter is over. Consumer reports gives them “very good” across the board, even if they aren’t “excellent” in anything.

·
Registered
510 Posts
"215-50/17 would go to 235-45/17" which is probably too wide to fit on the front of a Bolt without spacers, depending on the tire.
How about 225x50x17 ?

·
Registered
769 Posts
FWIW I have had 245's on the front of my car without any issues. And they were probably equiv to a 255 road tire.

Also I will point out that here we have a 1st person report of a "best thing ever done" to this owners Volt in his experience... and nobody has really expressed any interest in trying on a Bolt. Only talk about proper up sizing of wheels to maintain the same outer diameter. Just a guess but for them I bet it was exactly that increase in OD that made a positive difference rather than the tread width.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts