Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm about to buy one of the rare few showroom vehicle here in Germany. Obviously I do have some issues that made me think more than twice if this is a good idea at all, given the fact that PSA bought Opel and the recently presented plans how to bring Opel back to positive margin. There was no word about the Ampere-E's future. Earlier, PSA said that they will cancel all non-positive project - and the Amp-e is one of it... So, there is no future for this great vehicle. Also, Chevrolet is not selling in Germany, so that's no alternative either. You really have to LOVE that car to stand the potential setbacks...

Thus I've got a few questions to the Ampere-E owners here in Europe:
Did you at all see any system or infotainment software update so far? Does anyone know for sure if and how the SW correlates to the GM version - is it identical or are there modifications required from Opel?

Next is the availability of spare parts:
Did any of you already require spare parts of any kind? If yes, what's you experience on the delivery time?

Thanks all!

most

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You're right to be suspicious about future maintenance/repairs. Personally, I wouldn't chance it. Already the price was drastically increased. I wouldn't trust the relationship between Opel/PSA and GM to be amicable. I'm thinking the lack of Ampera-e inventory when GM had control over Opel was likely because they were already in talks with PSA to sell Opel. I interpret that as GM turning their backs on the Ampera-e. Whether Opel will have access to parts or repair expertise from GM, that depends on the contract between GM and PSA.

Unfortunately, I'd avoid the Ampera-e and wait for something else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your feedback.
Well for a start - it's too late now, I've signed the purchase agreement. But not before some excellent support from a local forum and also a user meeting. Over in Europe, Renault sells the Zoe pretty well. I own one, so I have an idea of what sort of adventure driving an EV is...
There is a legal regulation that spare parts have to be available for 12 years after EOL. For Ampere-E, EOL might well be in 2018. I am pretty sure that this regulation will somehow be covered in the contract between Opel and GM, and I'm also quite sure that PSA has no power to change that.

So, the key question is not IF there are parts available but HOW LONG will it take to get them. Even for parts that GM sells for the US Bolt and that are used on Ampere as well, the hardware might be identical. Who knows if there's not a specific Software parameter set (well probably not for a windscreen:D). Or SW in general, like updates. Most likely, it might be required for the entertainment system. My Renault Zoe developed the habit of an unreliable heating and Renault is poking around since the car launched in 2013...:eek: Enthusiastic users even collect SW-versions of all involved ECUs.

I'm not saying it will be the same on the Bolt/Ampera, but it might.

So, have there been any updates since the car launched? Is there maybe also some kind of overview of what releases there are?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Well, if it helps at all, there is another poster on this forum who successfully took Ampera-e parts and installed them on their Bolt:

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/26-electronics-audio-lighting/18066-eu-kr-power-folding-mirrors-retrofit.html
http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/10-technical-discussion/16882-retrofitting-power-folding-mirrors.html

I'd say push come to shove you could order Bolt parts and install them in your Ampera-e. For an indication of how long a US owner waits for a part, my gear shifter knob took 1.5 weeks from order to receipt. From a 3rd party seller of GM parts? It might take a bit longer, not including time to ship across the ocean.

Seems you already have quite a few experts who might be able to lend a hand with software issues. Here's hoping they can get their hands on some Ampera-e vehicles as well for proper motivation in helping you out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts