Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to be in the evening after driving home in stop and go traffic and everything was just fine with the car. Next day we got in the car to take a drive and discovered this 3" crack in the windshield. After another day the crack had grown larger. Nothing hit the windshield during that time and on close examination it was apparent that it is in the glass and not on the surface or interior face of the glass. It appears to be an internal stress crack. Anyone seen anything like this before? Do you think they will cover it under warranty?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
barjohn;389058Do you think they will cover it under warranty?[/QUOTE said:
I have seen others mention something similar. I would think it would be covered. In any event, you will probably want the dealer to do it, as others have mentioned a shortage of replacement glass from non-GM window places.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I circled in red where it looks like something may have possibly hit the windshield. Hard to tell for sure with just a picture. But maybe there's a surface impact there. Windshields are laminated with layers of plastic. So the crack will be inside as you described. But the initiation site, where a rock might have hit, will have a slight indication on the surface.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The surface is smooth to the fingers on both the inside and outside. When I first looked at it I thought it was on the outside and could be fixed with glass epoxy but it is all internal, there is no chip on the glass anywhere that I can see or more importantly, feel. Fingers are pretty sensitive to even hairline cracks.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Are you feeling for the cracks/chips using the pads of your fingers or your fingernails? I find using my fingernail is more likely to catch on imperfections. Of course, make sure to clean the glass inside/out before doing the "feel" test.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Stress crack, not rare, defect in the glass plus cold-hot or mild auto flexing. Should be fully covered by insurance, whatever the reason.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,481 Posts
Went to be in the evening after driving home in stop and go traffic and everything was just fine with the car. Next day we got in the car to take a drive and discovered this 3" crack in the windshield. After another day the crack had grown larger. Nothing hit the windshield during that time and on close examination it was apparent that it is in the glass and not on the surface or interior face of the glass. It appears to be an internal stress crack. Anyone seen anything like this before? Do you think they will cover it under warranty?
I drove a GM EV-1 in the late '90s. Three of them, in fact.

The back window of the EV-1 was a very complex shape, and with polarizing lenses, you could see the stress lines throughout.

While driving one evening at dusk, the back window exploded. Not cracked, chipped or dented. It *exploded*, with a "boom" sound. Scared the crap out of me and my spouse.

GM replaced it without question. Upon researching on the EV-1 forum, I found out that windows with complex shapes are often manufactured in such a way that stress is stored in the window (like potential energy). Exploding rear windows were not unheard of in the EV-1. I just happened to get one of the few that did.

So yes, I've seen an automotive window suffer a "spontaneous fragmentation event". Had it been a laminated window, perhaps it would have done as yours did.

Feel free to share this precedent with Chevrolet. Unfortunately, any documentation I had about this is long gone.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Insurance vs warranty:
Its worth first dealing with the GM warranty , but if a hassle or run around, insurance will pick it up without question (assuming one has comprehensive coverage).

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,481 Posts
Insurance vs warranty:
Its worth first dealing with the GM warranty , but if a hassle or run around, insurance will pick it up without question (assuming one has comprehensive coverage).
In my experience, one needs to carefully evaluate the combined costs of the deductible and future rate increases (or even cancellation) should one make a claim with their auto insurance company.

It may be cheaper to pay out of pocket.

YMMV.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't know if this is relevant to auto glass in general or your experience in particular, but we had a shower door installed as part of a remodel.

About 6 months later, we heard a really loud sound and small pieces of glass were everywhere, even out through the bathroom door which was open, across a hall and against a wall some 12 feet away from the door. We were very lucky that nobody was nearby.

Turns out that tempered glass can have an impossible-to-detect nickel contamination that is the focus of a stress process that builds slowly until it reaches a critical point and shattering occurs. It's rare but it happens.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If your car is still covered with the bumper to bumper warranty the glass is covered.

However if they try to say it was caused by a flying object they might not want to cover it.

If the crack started in a corner or at the edges then it is a warranty claim, but if it was started by a flying rock it will be an insurance claim.

The way the crack looks to me, the crack started from the molding out across the window I would say its a warranty claim.
They will send you to a glass installer or you can have it done at your house by an installer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts