Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone tried snows on 16" Cruze wheels? -

The Cruze 16"s are 6.5" wide, same as Bolt. I've got a set of new Gislaved 16" snows sitting in the garage. Rather than sell them and buy new 17" tires and wheels, I've got a line on a set of Cruze alloys which appear close enough to work.

Anyone know for sure?

jack vines

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
The Cruze 16"s are 6.5" wide, same as Bolt. I've got a set of new Gislaved 16" snows sitting in the garage. Rather than sell them and buy new 17" tires and wheels, I've got a line on a set of Cruze alloys which appear close enough to work.

Anyone know for sure?

jack vines
I'd check on tirerack.com. Needs the same bolt pattern, similar offset, and center bore diameter.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Found it here

Yes, we know they're the same width, bolt pattern and center bore diameter. The offset of the Cruze is 39mm and the Bolt is 44mm. That's the Cruze wheel inboard by 5mm or less than 1/4"; might be critical, might make absolutely no difference. That's why I asked if anyone had actually successfully run the Cruze wheels on a Bolt.

Update - a member is using the Cruze wheels http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/12-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/7586-update-about-autoxing-bolt.html

jack vines

·
Registered
17 Posts

Anyone know for sure?

jack vines
I did. Installed them yesterday. They work just fine. They were actually recommended by a Chevy dealership. See attached picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
I did. Installed them yesterday. They work just fine. They were actually recommended by a Chevy dealership. See attached picture.
That's interesting. What's the tire size you use with those? If it's a more common tire size then it might be worth converting to those wheels even for summer tires so that it's easier to get replacements. The 215/50 R17's on the Bolt seem to be a bit scarce - I'm having to wait 1 to 2 weeks to get my snow tires delivered.

One of my worries about not having a full sized spare tire is having the car laid up after an unrepairable flat waiting for tires to be shipped from some remote warehouse. That would kill any trip I might happen to be on.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is the speedometer inaccurate after this change? What would be the closest 16" equivalent to the stock 215 /50 R17 tires?

The stock rims are 17x6.5 with 44mm offset and 5x105mm bolt pattern? It appears anything from 39-44mm on the offset will work too.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most 205/60-16 will be very close to the same diameter as OEM, so no speedometer inaccuracy.

The Nokian 205/55-16 I'll be using are .5" less diameter, so speedometer/odometer will read approximately 2% faster/greater miles traveled. That's 61.2 MPH at an actual 60.

jack vines

·
Registered
100 Posts
Looks like the 215/55R16 is 25.3" or 205/60R16 at 25.7" in diameter compared to the stock 25.5" are closest for the 16" rims.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Did the Cruze TPMS sensors work with the Bolt?

·
Registered
100 Posts
No Issues running the 205/60r16s Speed reads normal, Car drives very well. Running 16X6 Sonic wheels
Like the look of those. Did the Sonic TPMS work with the Bolt?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Old thread, but most of the steel wheels I've seen for/from Cruze/Sonic, et al, are not GM OEMs, but aftermarket Chicom wheels. Most buyers cheap enough to choose steel wheels don't usually pay the often exorbitant ask dealers or tire shops quote for TPMS, so most used steel wheels are bare. But if they do have TPMS and are for other GM, they should work with the Bolt system.

I'll be mounting my steelies for the third winter.

jack vines

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tesla’s plastic aero wheel covers improve efficiency by 2-3% Over pretty OEM and aftermarket wheels.
Many years ago I mounted a set of ”Moon” style chrome caps on the steel wheels on a 1991 Honda Civic, and saw a few miles per gallon improvement over stock steels. It would be interesting to try a set of chrome MOON type covers on steel Bolt wheels. I bet you could improve the mileage.
I got the idea from the Echo Modder site. The Moon type hubcaps are popular there. They even use modified pizza pan covers to achieve the same look....not that I would try that....but then again....hmmm.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Old thread, but I found a set of used 2015 Cruze wheels in good shape, 16" x 6.5" for $250. Should I buy them for my winter tires for my 2020 Bolt? Sounds like 205/60r16 size snow tires would be the closest to OEM size, but I don't see any long term reviews on this particular rim/tire combo. I want to make sure there are no rubbing issues that would damage wheel wells when tires have snow packed on them. Or would 215/55R16 that @reeler mentioned be safer since they are a hair smaller? Many thanks for any experience and insight.

EDIT: Also, where does one find TPMS for a good price that are compatible? This is all new to me, but I think the stock tires could be dangerous when it's cold and snowy here in MA.

·
Registered
773 Posts
205/60x16 works just fine. This is what I have and believe me, if there was any way they could rub, I would know. The car bounced in all direction at different loads. Called - spirited driving.

TPMS - eBay. Get a set of new or used (price difference is minimal) TPMS sensors, OEM only.
Wheels work just fine as well.

Only thing is programming TPMS, but it is DIY as well. You need a programming tool that runs about 10-15 USD from Bezos.

I went with Generals Arctic (I had X-Ice before and did not like the deep snow grip - they are quieter on highways, but in snow Arctics are better). Plus, way cheaper.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts