Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from the superchargers, Tesla sells L2 EVSEs for home use and also installs L2 "Destination" adapters in public places such as hotels and restaurants. Some locations charge to use them, others not.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this device? Available for $385: http://www.evseadapters.com/collections/other-adapters/products/j1772-to-tesla-adapter

It is an adapter for any J-1772 L2 to plug into a Tesla Destination charger. Their L2 stations should support at least the 30a capability of the Bolt, for "up to" 25 miles per hour of charge.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have seen Tesla Supercharger stations both isolated and alongside CCS DCFC (SAE Combo) and CHAdeMO DCFC stations. I have not seen any "Tesla" Level 2 (destination) stations by themselves where a J1772 plug was not available and an adapter plug would have been useful. PlugShare Outlets list "Tesla Model S / Model X" outlets as well as "Tesla HPWC" outlets. Are either (both?) of these Level 2 stations using Tesla plugs? If I filter for these, do a lot more charging sites become available?

Lastly, $385 seems like a lot of money for the ability to use a (presumed free electricity) Tesla Level 2 station. {I guess if you used SemaConnect (~$3.85/hour; metro DC cost) regularly, your ROI would be measurable.} But I am still finding many free J1772 plug sites.

·
Super Moderator
2,578 Posts
Too **** expensive. $199 and I'd probably buy one.
Where would you use it? Are there public Tesla L2 charging stations out there? This only seems like a solution for Tesla owners that have a Tesla brand L2 charger at home and want to charge an non Tesla EV with it.

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are Lots of Tesla destination stations out there. Filter for it on Plugshare: Model S/X. HWPC is for the original Roadster.
I agree on the price, although if I were taking a cross-country trip I'd buy one in a second.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Where would you use it? Are there public Tesla L2 charging stations out there? This only seems like a solution for Tesla owners that have a Tesla brand L2 charger at home and want to charge an non Tesla EV with it.
For example, the place I'm staying at in Tahoe now has 6 chargers, 4 Tesla destination chargers, and 2 J1772. A Hilton I stay at regularly in St. Louis has 6 Tesla destination chargers, and *no* J1772 chargers. Now, I will admit that I haven't seen the J1772 at Northstar full, but if the adapter was a tad more affordable, I'd spring for one, just for the safety net.

For around home trips, no, it's not necessary.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I agree on the price - but you can think of it this way…

it force multiplies your charging choices - anywhere you find a Tesla destination charger (12-80 amps) you can now charge ANY J-1772 car at this Tesla charger (it does not work for Superchargers {sigh}). And with Tesla about to push 200,000 model 3's out into the world in the next 18 months - there will soon be more Tesla chargers in the world.

Scenarios that this enables

a. using a Tesla charger at home
b. using a friend's Tesla charger at their house (cause they got a Model 3 despite your recommendation to buy a Bolt)
c. using a friendly Tesla owner's Universal Mobile Charger at a 240 volt plug in the wild to get you out of jam
d. using Tesla's extensive destination charging network https://www.tesla.com/findus#/bound...2.07510880000001,d?search=destination charger
e. buying your own Tesla UMC (cause it's one of the best 40 AMP mobile EVSE chargers) and using it to charge your Bolt
f. using the unused Tesla charger when all the J-1772 charging spots are occupied.
g. continue using Tesla chargers for your next non-Bolt EV since this works for any EV car…

basically having this charger in your car gives you choices - most people won't need it - but if you are planning on doing any road tripping I highly recommend bringing choices with you to minimize problems and maximize charging options (extension cord, a good portable 240 volt charger with NEMA plug adapters, this Tesla adapter) and you can charge most any place you can find electricity.

but yeah the price is a bit steep.

·
Registered
782 Posts
these are all the chargers you could use if you have this adapter - you can't use them now - but you could with the adapter - and keep in mind this list is not shrinking - it will be growing for quite some time - so there is a network effect here - the more people that have them the more useful they are so the more people grow the network…again this adapter simply gives you choices, allowing access to an existing/growing charging network you can not use without the adapter. I 100% agree if you're simply traveling around town and never outside your charging range it's completely useless - but if you want to travel - it's money well spent.

and remember this is in addition to the growing infrastructure of J-1772 chargers…

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rokfocvnp7oj15/all the chargers.png?dl=0

·
Super Moderator
2,578 Posts
For example, the place I'm staying at in Tahoe now has 6 chargers, 4 Tesla destination chargers, and 2 J1772. A Hilton I stay at regularly in St. Louis has 6 Tesla destination chargers, and *no* J1772 chargers. Now, I will admit that I haven't seen the J1772 at Northstar full, but if the adapter was a tad more affordable, I'd spring for one, just for the safety net.

For around home trips, no, it's not necessary.
these are all the chargers you could use if you have this adapter - you can't use them now - but you could with the adapter - and keep in mind this list is not shrinking - it will be growing for quite some time - so there is a network effect here - the more people that have them the more useful they are so the more people grow the network…again this adapter simply gives you choices, allowing access to an existing/growing charging network you can not use without the adapter. I 100% agree if you're simply traveling around town and never outside your charging range it's completely useless - but if you want to travel - it's money well spent.

and remember this is in addition to the growing infrastructure of J-1772 chargers…

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rokfocvnp7oj15/all the chargers.png?dl=0
Oh, OK. I didn't understand that there was basically two Tesla charging networks. All you ever hear about these days is the Supercharger. I guess this is what Tesla was doing before the Supercharger Network?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Oh, OK. I didn't understand that there was basically two Tesla charging networks. All you ever hear about these days is the Supercharger. I guess this is what Tesla was doing before the Supercharger Network?
More in parallel with super charging - so it will continue to grow.

Tesla vision is for road trips you hop from SC to SC during the day (3 SC's in one day is nearly 700 miles of range for about 2 hours of charge time) and then charge over night using destination chargers so you start full in the morning. Destination chargers are also good for tourist stops where you are going to be parked for 1-4 hours, or malls for shopping.

Tesla Destination chargers are basically j-1772 chargers with a custom connector shape - this adapter fixes that design defect :D

I foresee the destination charger network continuing to grow especially with the Model 3 release - this adapter will let all J-1772 EV's ride Tessa's coat tails for charging options.

However my favorite application for this adapter is in conjunction with Tesla's excellent 40 amp NEMA plug adapter EVSE charger so that you can charge the Bolt/EV at any 110/240 volt outlet you might encounter - campgrounds with 240 volt RV hook ups become 32 amp charging stations for the Bolt and there are a LOT of camp grounds nation wide that have RV hook ups!

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can get them for about $240 on ebay or from Quick Charge direct with a code.

Quick Charge Power is running a $160 promo on the Jdapter Stub. Input promo code
"Jdapter239" at checkout, and it'll knock $160 off the list price.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
No Level 2 (destination) EVSE (charging stations/plugs) have their electricity paid for by Tesla, rather by the station owner. MANY of these are still free. All of our State Parks with overnight Lodges have 3 Tesla and one J1772 plugs - for free. Many motels are installing both plugs (with "some" financial assistance from Tesla) for their residents. So buying a Tesla to J1772 adapter plug/cord does not cost Tesla. Rather, if that one J1772 plug is filled overnight, you can still use one of the three Tesla plugs. It is still only 25 rmpch, but travel utility is increased while we wait for more DCFC. Now that I am seeing some of these adapters for $200-$250, it may be time to jump on-board and buy one!

PS. This is my 600th post. Most were questions. Some were (what I thought were useful) comments on a thread. A few were thread starters. Please accept my apologies for repetition, boredom, and inane questions. I still learn (or re-learn) at least one new fact each day and I thank all of you.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
I hope that he has a very small window of opportunity to do that before demand disappears
https://www.electrifyamerica.com/our-plan
Sorry to sound cynical about committee planned charging infrastructure, but Tesla already has a bigger, better system than the one outlined in this plan.

I don't see anything in that plan that addresses the charging desert outside of major metro areas. Virginia isn't mentioned, let alone Norfolk.

My personal view is that 240 volt slow charge sites are a waste of money other than at places you'd expect to spend 8 hours, like work or apartment parking lots. If a retailer wants to put one in to attract potential customers, fine, but don't waste grant money on them. Also, the idea of installing hugely expensive 350 kW chargers, only to encourage the production, and purchase of stupidly large, and inefficient private vehicles is a misguided use of grant money.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Sorry to sound cynical about committee planned charging infrastructure, but Tesla already has a bigger, better system than the one outlined in this plan.

I don't see anything in that plan that addresses the charging desert outside of major metro areas. Virginia isn't mentioned, let alone Norfolk.

My personal view is that 240 volt slow charge sites are a waste of money other than at places you'd expect to spend 8 hours, like work or apartment parking lots. If a retailer wants to put one in to attract potential customers, fine, but don't waste grant money on them. Also, the idea of installing hugely expensive 350 kW chargers, only to encourage the production, and purchase of stupidly large, and inefficient private vehicles is a misguided use of grant money.
I hear you. I agree 100% on level 2. I like to say "Level 2 public is great from a visibility and awareness point of view but worthless from a practical standpoint"

The only thing that matters is DC fast charge build out. Regarding 350kW, I view it as "future proofing", I believe that we will have "normal" EVs that can rapidly recharge sooner than most think and that offering a 350Kw station will enable quick stops and no lines to charge for folks...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anyone know about the legal aspect of using the adaptor on a Tesla charger? Would it be considered theft to use their chargers on a non-Tesla car? Could Tesla have your car towed, etc.?

1 - 20 of 98 Posts