Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there’s been any clarification on whether they’ve only been swapping out defective modules, or if they’ve been swapping them all out for 2020+ models.

If the latter is the case, I’m going to run this battery as long as possible before the warranty clock is reset😆

·
Registered
224 Posts
Never seen anything 2020+ with a new battery anywhere.
For the replacement of defective modules, I don't believe it's an option. The waste of time would be outrageously high. It's much more efficient to perform the "easy" full battery replacement.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I assume the OP asked if the recall has been performed on any 2020+ models.

My recall simply states that the bad modules will be replaced. However it appears that dealers currently are getting assembled packs which seems to make more sense if they are using a side assembly area at battery factory.

That can all change at any time.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Module = battery pack in automotive parlance. There have been a number of threads about this.
At GM, everything is a module. In automotive parlance: battery pack = battery pack

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Don't think a single 2018 even as an appointment yet. Will be awhile (year+) before they get to the 2020s.
The only reports that I have seen (including in the Facebook group) of cars other than 2019 model year are of cars that previously had battery problems (e.g. refusal to drive with P0BBD codes) that would otherwise have called for replacement modules. These cars were stuck at dealers waiting for replacement modules under the presumption that their batteries were fire risks, so they were presumably moved to the front of the new battery pack queue.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Now, if the Nov software allows charging to 80%, pause/check, charge to 90%, pause/check, charge to 100%... and phone home via OnStar if it detects anomaly... we may see specific ANY YEAR Bolt getting priority battery replacement sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
702 Posts
In my talking with GM, (just to stoke the "module" argument) was that the old cars would get entirely new packs, and the new 2022s would get the individual modules within the battery done as needed. "Well, yes we're calling the whole battery a module, but on the 2022 year, it's the individual battery groups within the pack" But yeah, everything's a **** module. Hot module on module within module action.

I'm assuming they're prioritizing by risk level and cars stranded on dealership lots.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,440 Posts
Our dealer has two new 2022 Bolts sitting since the 2022 model was introduced. They are "on hold" They are both sitting like this for many months now.
The Li-ion battery is fine.
It's the 12V lead acid battery that suffers when a car is stored like this.
Hopefully they took the time to put the car in 'Storage Mode' or whatever it's called.
Still, Lead Acids have a 'self discharge' and need some love once in a while...:confused:

·
Registered
72 Posts
There’s also a number of threads about how there’s actually 5 modules in a battery pack, in addition to GM press releases. Might want to get your facts straight before dismissing someone.
Not to be pedantic about it, actually there are a total of 10 modules in a Bolt, arranged in 5 rows of 2 modules each. A module is a metal can that holds the battery cells inside.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,684 Posts
Where is there a description of this "November software update"? The last mention I have found was the 9/20 info from Chevy. Is there anything more recent?
I suspect it will be a lot like "we'll have commercially viable fusion power plants in twenty years"...for the last fifty years.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Not to be pedantic about it, actually there are a total of 10 modules in a Bolt, arranged in 5 rows of 2 modules each. A module is a metal can that holds the battery cells inside.
They have called every part of the battery pack a module, at one time or another. The five rows, have also be called sections. The cell modules in the Bolt, unlike those in a Leaf, are not in an aluminum can. They are just pouch cells in plastic frames, with thin aluminum cooling plates between, sandwiched together with long threaded rods holding 24, or 30, cells together in a module.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts