Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to go out to the coast and have found that when the 5G disappears Car Play loses it's connection. Pretty bad, not only does it lose the maps (no caching), it goes further and just disconnects entirely from the car, can't get it to reconnect again until the 5G comes back. All of the California coast in my area has no service at all, and it quits long before you get there.

So when I go out (frequently) all I have is Sirius radio (which works brilliantly being satellite based) and the OnStar navigation, provided I pre-downloaded a route.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yea, the dependence on good cell service for navigation is a really bad situation.

In the short term, go into Google maps and download offline map data for your region, that'll give you some additional navigation options. Or get HERE maps, which also can utilize offline map data. You can't see the map from these applications on the screen, but you can still get the voice prompts for turn-by-turn.

I've been very tempted to buy a Navdy for navigation. That'll provide a HUD with offline map data as well as some control over your phone. Navdy seems to have periodic sales for $100 off, I'll wait until I see the next one of those.

Additionally, we should be sending feedback to Apple and Chevy complaining about the situation. Apple needs to add offline data to it's maps, open up CarPlay to other map applications, and fix the disconnect issues. Chevy probably can't fix anything here other than providing their own navigation app, but they might be able to pressure Apple to do a better job.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
've been very tempted to buy a Navdy for navigation. That'll provide a HUD with offline map data as well as some control over your phone. Navdy seems to have periodic sales for $100 off, I'll wait until I see the next one of those.
Spendy but that's a neat option. I'm not sure I want a HUD though, in fact the more I use the Bolt the more I like a less obtrusive system. Don't think I would like a Tesla with it's giant screen, the Bolt's 10" is good enough. And for navigation honestly I like the OnStar TbT the best. Main reason? It's the least intrusive. Just sits in the instrument panel, integrated with the car, a quick glance and I know what I need. I don't like the big screen maps, it demands too much attention and takes me away from the road (safety) and scenery (enjoyment).

The other thing I'd be concerned with Navdy is running a bunch of cables would disturb the clean lines. I guess it needs 12V and access to the data port.

So while I'm surprised at how poor the Car Play experience is in this regards I'm mostly happy with OnStar. To my mind here's the breakdown

• Cost Apple/Google maps wins (free)
  • Traffic conditions Apple/Google wins
  • Re-routing Equivalent AFAIK.
  • Route choosing OnStar wins. You can call an advisor and pick whatever complicated route you want, and it downloads to the car. Useful when I frequently go there and back to a offline area.
  • Intrusiveness OnStar wins
  • Support OnStar wins (I've found the Advisors are really helpful and nice)
  • Integration OnStar wins (dedicated buttons! always works!)
  • Offline use Google and OnStar wins

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I just have an old TomTom that's still serviceable for long trips outside of my service area. Not the best looking, but it's not permanent and not reliant on cell signal.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I haven't had a problem yet, but my understanding is you can download the maps before your trip to the coast and the moving map will function without a cell connection. I think you do lose the traffic information and possibly the turn by turn instructions, but you can still see your position on the map. Just a "free" option. If you're happy with OnStar, go for it!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I suppose it's been answered already but is there an Android app to make a route plan that shows the location of chargers at suitable intervals?

Even better would be an app that reads the car's state of charge etc to update a plan as needed.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't had a problem yet, but my understanding is you can download the maps before your trip to the coast and the moving map will function without a cell connection. I think you do lose the traffic information and possibly the turn by turn instructions, but you can still see your position on the map. Just a "free" option. If you're happy with OnStar, go for it!
You're talking about Google maps I guess? AFAIK Apple maps doesn't have offline maps. Anyhow at that point it all has to be done from the phone/tablet which means pulling over which isn't optimal, I'd probably get a Garmin at that point. They all have compromises I guess.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I haven't had a problem yet, but my understanding is you can download the maps before your trip to the coast and the moving map will function without a cell connection. I think you do lose the traffic information and possibly the turn by turn instructions, but you can still see your position on the map. Just a "free" option.
Apple Maps has a very limited cache: if you ask for navigation to a specific destination, it downloads all the roads and turns that are part of that route. So it'll keep navigating when you lose cell connection. However, if you stray off course, or change your mind in the middle of a trip, or even pick a new destination when you arrive, then you suddenly need a cell connection again.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apple Maps has a very limited cache: if you ask for navigation to a specific destination, it downloads all the roads and turns that are part of that route. So it'll keep navigating when you lose cell connection. However, if you stray off course, or change your mind in the middle of a trip, or even pick a new destination when you arrive, then you suddenly need a cell connection again.
My experience is worse, if you go without 4G for longer than something like 15-20 minutes then it goes dead. No maps, no Car Play. Well maybe there's some small cache still on the phone but I don't know because I'm driving and won't touch the phone. I'm spending most of the day in this 'dark zone' so am grateful for OnStar, even though it can't help me once I arrive.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Google map is okay so long as you load the map and navigation while you still have signal so it continues to navigate even when your outside the service zone. But if you're prone to pushing the wrong button when trying to zoom in and exiting navigation, then you may not get it back. Thus the GPS.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK the new Car Play fixes this! It actually acts like you would expect, when the 4G goes it continues on, and does a adequate job of caching the maps along the route (not perfect, there are blank squares along the route towards the end). At the destination where I had no 4G it wouldn't figure out how to navigate back, but at least it kept the cached maps.

Otherwise it has speed limit data that looks very accurate (and nails it when you cross into a new speed zone), a new "Do Not Disturb while Driving" mode, and a new sped up voice (which I don't like as much).

·
Registered
328 Posts
With Waze on Android Auto, it will download the route at the beginning of the trip and will continue to route just fine, albeit without real time re-routing, when the network goes down, even for a long time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts