Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Apple Carplay seems to have stopped working. I plug the phone into an Apple cord and now Carplay doesn't automatically launch as before. Nor does it launch any other way. I played with/check my various phone settings, did a hard restart on the phone, upgraded to iOS 11.2 (from 11.1.2) and none of that worked. I also tried two other iPhones - nothing.

I'm moving to believe it is the Bolt. I did a restart on the dash (home button with the one above it) and that didn't help. I've had the car since January and haven't had any software upgrades done. But this is weird as it doesn't seem related to any changes in the phone iOS.

Ideas? Tx.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I updated to 11.2 and CarPlay seems to be working fine. Maybe try a different cord?

Reactions: Henk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I updated my iPhone to 11.2 and Carplay stopped working.

It seems as Apple did an IOS update and rebooted the phone, but the Carplay app didn't launch until I physically turned the phone back off and on again.

Now Carplay is working with no issues. Except I am unhappy with Maps. Really wish it would show me the available destination points on the map instead of listing them. How do I tell Siri I want directions to the fourth listing?

Also, try to have Siri search phone "The Tire Store". She hears the word "Tire" and assumes you want to do something with the vehicle. Too funny. After a dozen tries, I gave up.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Now Carplay is working with no issues. Except I am unhappy with Maps. Really wish it would show me the available destination points on the map instead of listing them. How do I tell Siri I want directions to the fourth listing?
I don't know if Apple Maps works this way, but with Google Maps you just press the appropriate item in the list and it will start navigating with that item as the destination.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My Apple Carplay seems to have stopped working. I plug the phone into an Apple cord and now Carplay doesn't automatically launch as before. Nor does it launch any other way. I played with/check my various phone settings, did a hard restart on the phone, upgraded to iOS 11.2 (from 11.1.2) and none of that worked. I also tried two other iPhones - nothing.

I'm moving to believe it is the Bolt. I did a restart on the dash (home button with the one above it) and that didn't help. I've had the car since January and haven't had any software upgrades done. But this is weird as it doesn't seem related to any changes in the phone iOS.

Ideas? Tx.
Problems with CarPlay on a Bolt 2019 and iPhone Fixed?
Can anyone help me to further identify the problem?
Is turning OFF the WiFi in the Bolt settings work?
For over a year it was impossible to used Google Maps on my iPhone6. Several times in the dealer garage without success, the last time I was told to upgrade it to an iPhone6S or higher so the OS could be upgraded to iOS14, which we did to no avail.
I went to the EV Center and Brian really tried to help me, he made several changes in the iPhone settings that could have helped, but did not. I assume that at the GM dealer they tried the iPhone settings as well, and so did I.
I, based on my experience with computerized instrumentation, I suspected a handshake protocol problem, so I turned off my personal hotspot, I also tried to turn off Bluetooth as the connection to the Bolt went through the USB and I thought they conflicted, but Bluetooth was needed.
Often, I got a message “Connect a supported device by USB to use this feature”, I tried many different USB cables.
Finally, on my last trip to the EV center, I had to make a stop and tried to fiddle with the Bolt settings, which I had done before, but never turned OFF the WiFi. This time I turned OFF the “WiFi” under “settings” and CarPlay came on.
It has been working ever since, I tried the iPhone6 that a friend of my had and CarPlay worked as well. When checking my Bolt “settings” I noticed that WiFi was still “ON”.
I do not understand it, but it works now so till I learn more I like to “leave well enough alone”.
I noticed that many people have had CarPlay problems based on the often-used advices of:
  • Change USB cable to Apple certified.
  • Upgrade from iPhone6 to iPhone6S
But none of that seemed to have worked.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Ideas? Tx.
I had that problem as well for a full year, but I may have fixed it by turning OFF "WiFi" under the Bolt "settings". Not sure if it is the only thing that was changed.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I had that problem as well for a full year, but I may have fixed it by turning OFF "WiFi" under the Bolt "settings". Not sure if it is the only thing that was changed.
It's possible that you had connected your iPhone's wi-fi's the Bolt's on-board wi-fi access point. And, that might've worked fine when you were in your trial for AT&T hot spot or were paying for it.

But, if you stopped paying, that connection leads nowhere but your iPhone could've been continuing to try connecting to/joining it. Again, that's a dead connection. One on phone should go to Settings > Wi-Fi and if connected to that dead/any unwanted wi-fi connection, select Forget This Network or at least turn off Auto-Join.

Another way to possibly troubleshoot is to turn off wi-fi on the iPhone side. That way, it relies only on cellular and doesn't try to connect to dead access points.

A more brute force method is to go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Afterward, you will need to reconnect and re-enter the WEP key/WPA/WPA2 passphrase (password) for each AP you want to connect to.

(Nobody should be using WEP nor WPA at this point. One should use at least WPA2.)

Reactions: Henk

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's possible that you had connected your iPhone's wi-fi's the Bolt's on-board wi-fi access point. And, that might've worked fine when you were in your trial for AT&T hot spot or were paying for it.

But, if you stopped paying, that connection leads nowhere but your iPhone could've been continuing to try connecting to/joining it. Again, that's a dead connection. One on phone should go to Settings > Wi-Fi and if connected to that dead/any unwanted wi-fi connection, select Forget This Network or at least turn off Auto-Join.

(Nobody should be using WEP nor WPA at this point. One should use at least WPA2.)
Thanks! You could be in the right direction, and maybe totally correct, but CarPlay has given me problems from the beginning, but I think in the beginning it was worse, but with intermittent problems it is hard to compare.

·
Registered
27 Posts
CarPlay has given me problems from the beginning
Finally a GM technical person evaluated the problem and decided that the Infotainment system was the culprit.
They replaced it and a few more intermittency problems happened, but now it has been working flawless for 3 weeks.
Fingers crossed, and yes it could have been a USB cable, but that cable worked fine with data transfers on my computer, and has worked OK before.
I am keeping my fingers crossed, but so far so good.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Honestly, CarPlay in my 2020 Bolt LT is the most frustrating thing about the car. I’ve owned the car for 5 months and during that time it has worked as expected about 1 month. I’ve used my iPhone 8 and this Apple supplied cable in other vehicles without a problem. Today, on a short trip to the dog groomer it finally opened the map as I pulled into the parking lot. No map, no music, no touch response. On my trip home the Bolt EV screen stayed on the whole way! No map, no music, no touch response! Seriously, if this can’t be fixed I’m going to look for another car.

·
Administrator
2,930 Posts
Honestly, CarPlay in my 2020 Bolt LT is the most frustrating thing about the car. I’ve owned the car for 5 months and during that time it has worked as expected about 1 month. I’ve used my iPhone 8 and this Apple supplied cable in other vehicles without a problem.
Never any CP issues in my Bolt. I have used iPhone 8 and XR over the years.

CP (and AA) merely project the phone's image to the infotainment display. Issues with lag, etc tend to be phone issues and not infotainment system issues. More often than not, cables seem to be the problem, they tend to get frayed over time. So troubleshooting should start with swapping cables, most times this resolves issues. I get it the phone and cable work on other cars, but it is a simple thing to try. Also, make sure the USB port is not gummed up with crud. Maybe swap ports.

iPhone 8 is fairly old. If the OS has not been updated, it might be worth trying that. It can run the latest iOS release, though not all features are supported.

In Car Play settings on the iPhone, you can "Forget this Car" which should reset things and then you can re-pair it. That might clean up data inconsistencies (if any).
Today, on a short trip to the dog groomer it finally opened the map as I pulled into the parking lot. No map, no music, no touch response. On my trip home the Bolt EV screen stayed on the whole way! No map, no music, no touch response! Seriously, if this can’t be fixed I’m going to look for another car.
This sounds like a commonly reported issue with the infotainment screen. Freezing, blank screen, etc. You can reboot the infotainment system (even while driving) by pressing and holding Home + FFWD for several seconds.

This has happened only twice for me, both times I put the car in gear too soon, before all the diagnostic icons cleared on the DIC. But the reboot tends to resolve issues like this.

Of course, it is possible the infotainment system is defective, there have been a few reports of that.

·
Registered
78 Posts

CP (and AA) merely project the phone's image to the infotainment display. Issues with lag, etc tend to be phone issues and not infotainment system issues. More often than not, cables seem to be the problem, they tend to get frayed over time. So troubleshooting should start with swapping cables, most times this resolves issues. I get it the phone and cable work on other cars, but it is a simple thing to try. Also, make sure the USB port is not gummed up with crud. Maybe swap ports.

iPhone 8 is fairly old. If the OS has not been updated, it might be worth trying that. It can run the latest iOS release, though not all features are supported.

In Car Play settings on the iPhone, you can "Forget this Car" which should reset things and then you can re-pair it. That might clean up data inconsistencies (if any).

This sounds like a commonly reported issue with the infotainment screen. Freezing, blank screen, etc. You can reboot the infotainment system (even while driving) by pressing and holding Home + FFWD for several seconds.

This has happened only twice for me, both times I put the car in gear too soon, before all the diagnostic icons cleared on the DIC. But the reboot tends to resolve issues like this.

Of course, it is possible the infotainment system is defective, there have been a few reports of that.

Thanks, Rob. I actually have a new cable being delivered today. iPhone os is up to date. Ports look clean. I’ve done the reboot of the screen. I’ll also try Forget this Car to see if that helps.

I really love the car except for this CarPlay frustration. Jim

·
Administrator
2,930 Posts
Thanks, Rob. I actually have a new cable being delivered today. iPhone os is up to date. Ports look clean. I’ve done the reboot of the screen. I’ll also try Forget this Car to see if that helps.

Good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts

So, I got the new cable, Apple certified, re-paired the phone and the car and it’s still not working properly. Additionally, the audio, which comes and goes, is very staticky. Think it’s time to call the dealer. I was hoping to avoid this but the situation is untenable.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good luck.
Drove the Bolt from Tucson to Phoenix a couple days ago. Could not get CarPlay working. Left the Bolt with my daughter and drove back to Tucson in a 2018 Kia Niro. CarPlay worked flawlessly the entire trip. The next day did Niro to Phoenix and Bolt to Tucson. Niro/CarPlay flawless. Bolt/CarPlay not functional. Same phone. Same cable. Bolt is going in to the dealer next week. We’ll see!

·
Registered
126 Posts
We're having issues, too. 2021 Bolt Premier? Premium, whatever.

My phone and my wife's phones are same model I phone 7's. Bought them the same day at the same store.

Car play on my phone comes on as soon as I plug it into the cable. Unplug mine, plug her phone in and it tells me there is no device to connect to. Tried different cables, tried both plug in spots in the console. Tried deleting the phones and re-pairing them to the car. Tried leaving mine in the house, starting the car up with her phone in the car, no luck. Tried cutting mine off, leaving hers on and still no luck. Tried turning stuff on/off in her phone, no luck.

Got in the truck this afternoon and took a drive. Same thing. My phone works with car play in the truck. Hers does not. Gotta be something in the phone or the settings, but no luck so far figuring out what it is.

Funny thing is the phone will pair and work through bluetooth as a phone in both vehicles. It just won't hook up and run car play. With hers not working in either vehicle it's gotta be the phone.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Found our problem.

We have I phone 7 phones bought new a couple years ago. They don't have wireless charging.

In order to allow my wife to use her Bolt's wireless charging slot I bought her a phone case that plugs into the charging/communication port on the bottom of the I phone so it will charge the phone off a wireless charger.

Remove that case, plug the cable in to the phone and car play works. So, back to the old phone protective case and no wireless charging till we upgrade out phones next year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts