Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Bolt and I really like having the Apple Maps app running all the time.
Unfortunately, this app constantly gets it's data from Apple using my cell phones data connection.
Has anyone made a determination how much data per hour the Apple Maps application uses?
I may have to update my cell phone plan but was wondering what others have found.

·
Registered
782 Posts
it won't report per-hour - but you can track this in iOS

Settings:Cellular - the cellular tab in settings will show you a break down of how much data has been used by each application you have installed - with over all OS usage listed at the bottom...

Maps is pretty efficient with it's data and caches data for stuff you use over and over again - I would simply watch the usage over the course of a week or so and see if you think it's too much data...

·
Registered
107 Posts
One of my biggest complaints about having to use Apple Maps with Carplay is that there's no offline maps. If you're in a location without cellular service, your navigation is severely crippled.

Apple accepts feedback for Maps, I've asked for offline map data, might help if more people made the same request:
https://www.apple.com/feedback/maps_ios.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Apple maps uses a lot of data, at least by my standards. I am a 12,000 km/year (7500 miles) driver and Apple maps on CarPlay uses about 2.5 GB of data per month ($25). I called OnStar and asked if they could provide additional info (like daily usage) and they said that it was not possible. AT&T run the data for GM in my area (Canada) and do not provide daily usage data to OnStar. I thought that was a lot of data just for Apple maps, as I find it is the worst satnav of any I have used. I hope that Apple will invest a bit more to improve Apple Maps and CarPlay, as AT&T probable thinks it is ok to charge Canadians a lot for data. Everyone else does.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts