Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been using my in-car with for an iPhone/Carplay for nav. For 2 days now, looks like 200mb of data for about 70 minutes of mixed local/highway driving. So I guess I'll need 2GB month or more for this creature comfort. :)

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I only drive with maps when I actually need to know where I am going. GPS nav all the time is kind of... not necessary for daily driving.
I plug in my phone to listen to podcasts and I always have the map showing as I drive. When there's a traffic jam or road closure I love being able to quickly glance at the display to plot a course around it. If there's a backup on the freeway it's great to be able to see the traffic overlay to tell how far ahead the blockage is and whether it's worth taking the next exit or not. And I love being able to say "OK Google - Navigate to xxxx" so that I can get an instant ETA to my destination. All without having to take my attention from the road to fiddle with the phone hookup or having to navigate the screen menus.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Been using my in-car with for an iPhone/Carplay for nav. For 2 days now, looks like 200mb of data for about 70 minutes of mixed local/highway driving. So I guess I'll need 2GB month or more for this creature comfort. :)
You can also try “HERE” maps. The app allows you to download mapping data with a granular control over the region (by state/province), thus avoid data usage if this fits your needs. Can also be a nice backup for out-of-coverage areas.

As a bonus, they added CarPlay support 3 months ago.

Not visually as finished as Apple Maps, but a good enough alternative.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
You can also try “HERE” maps. The app allows you to download mapping data with a granular control over the region (by state/province), thus avoid data usage if this fits your needs.
In Google Maps you can download maps for a selected area to avoid data charges or navigate in areas without cell coverage. You need an Internet connection to initiate navigation, but the data requirements to do that are pretty minor and navigation will continue to work in areas without cell coverage because Google downloads data for the route if it's not already in its cache.

·
Registered
41 Posts
In Google Maps you can download maps for a selected area to avoid data charges or navigate in areas without cell coverage. You need an Internet connection to initiate navigation, but the data requirements to do that are pretty minor and navigation will continue to work in areas without cell coverage because Google downloads data for the route if it's not already in its cache.
Thanks but "selected area" is not enough for me.
With HERE, you can get the whole country or individual state/province. It also has maps for almost everywhere in the world.

HERE is my fallback option since I have plenty of LTE data for Apple maps. But when out-of-coverage, having a fully downloaded map is pretty convenient.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Thanks but "selected area" is not enough for me.
With HERE, you can get the whole country or individual state/province. It also has maps for almost everywhere in the world.

HERE is my fallback option since I have plenty of LTE data for Apple maps. But when out-of-coverage, having a fully downloaded map is pretty convenient.
Funny to hear about HERE now. My first smartphone was the original android G1, but I used it without a data plan. Maps was the biggest hang up without a data plan. Got stranded in the middle of nowhere and had to fall back to mile markers to tell the tow truck where I was. So when the windows phone came out, it had HERE drive that could have maps downloaded and used without a data plan. After the whole Nokia thing, HERE got sold off and MS replaced it on their mobile platform. I'm still using a Windows phone to this day because of the HERE drive. Really liked it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm personally glad that Apple expanded CarPlay support to 3rd party navigation back in iOS 12 because Apple Maps falls short in many ways for navigating in Korea. It does work sort of okay as the road data is surprisingly up-to-date, but the POI data needs a lot of updating and clean-up. Also, there are no traffic or speeding camera information as of yet. I have only used it for about four months, between just after getting my 2018 Bolt and up to when iOS 12 became available.

It's no surprise that there are now no less than four Korean CarPlay-supporting navigation apps in the App Store (Tmap, Naver Maps, Kakao Navi, and iNavi Air). I mostly use Tmap, and I drive roughly 1,500 to 2,000 km (940 - 1250 miles) per month with the app on the Bolt's screen. It consumed a total of 128MB of data last month, so it doesn't use all that much. Recent update added iOS 13's CarPlay Dashboard support, so that means I won't be seeing Apple Maps even when changing the screens.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Funny to hear about HERE now. My first smartphone was the original android G1, but I used it without a data plan. Maps was the biggest hang up without a data plan. Got stranded in the middle of nowhere and had to fall back to mile markers to tell the tow truck where I was. So when the windows phone came out, it had HERE drive that could have maps downloaded and used without a data plan. After the whole Nokia thing, HERE got sold off and MS replaced it on their mobile platform. I'm still using a Windows phone to this day because of the HERE drive. Really liked it.
****! Been discovered!
I've been a long time Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone and Windows Mobile user.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
****! Been discovered!
I've been a long time Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone and Windows Mobile user.
Sorry about that. My 950XL fits and charges wirelessly on my MY 2017 Bolt. Bluetooth is solid. Never have to worry about any USB cables going bad. Don't have to mess with a buggy myChevrolet app or be dissapointed with KeyPass. Pretty sure I have less infotainment freezes by just using the Bluetooth. My iris scanner with windows hello works even if I'm wearing a mask and sunglasses. Battery is replaceable. I'm really struggling with giving it up. Nothing out there comes close for the price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts