Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using the Bolt's CarPlay/iPhone integration app and specifically Apple maps, I no longer get the audio indicating driving instructions (like 'turn left'). It used to work, but now no longer does so. I've rebooted the Infotainment center to no avail. Anyone else see this problem and have a solution?

More detail:
* hooking up the iphone via usb cable, the map displays and works as expected except for voice instructions.
* the connection works fine if I play audio from my iphone (songs, audible books, etc), but not Apple Maps.
* I've also tried with my wife's iPhone 6 and it behaves in the same way (no voice instructions)
* I have tried several different voice setting levels within Apple Maps to no avail.
* tried different usb cables
* if I connect to the infotainment center via bluetooth it does work

Any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had the same problem, and after a few Google searches, I found a solution. You can only change the voice volume while Siri is talking. Unfortunately, this is rather challenging when you can’t hear her talking. I found that turning the volume knob, immediately after hitting go, would catch her saying “starting route to...” and I could then adjust it to a usable volume.

Hopefully this works for you too.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I too had to figure this out.... I'd call up SIRI and she'd never beep for me to start talking.... so I turned up the volume when I figured she was talking and it worked.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
There is a mute button in Apple Maps in the upper left corner of the Maps display. Make sure you didn’t actually hit it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Try hitting the volume up button on your phone. Also, car play appears to have its own setting as mentioned above.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is there a page that has the appropriate Siri/Apple Map commands?
I noted if I ask Siri/Maps to find something, often time it will give me a multiple item list. "Siri, locate Starbucks".
I can tell Siri, "Call 1" and it will call the first on the list.
I suspect there are many more commands to get Siri to do all the things I would like, but I can't find them.
Sometimes she shows me the address, but I want to call them. How can I get Siri to call instead of showing the map?
I usually use the command "Call" or "Locate", but Siri kind of does what she wants.
Any ideas?

Also, what ever you do, never name your coffee shop "Coffee Coffee" like one near me does. Siri cannot find it, but she can find a million Starbucks.

Coffee Coffee
970 N Coast Hwy 101, Encinitas, CA 92024

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't realize I was living with this problem for almost a year until I recently got re-annoyed (if that is a word...it's definitely a feeling) with this issue. So, thanks folks for the suggestion below which solved the problem. What a strange defect that the volume can only be changed when Siri is talking.

I had the same problem, and after a few Google searches, I found a solution. You can only change the voice volume while Siri is talking. Unfortunately, this is rather challenging when you can’t hear her talking. I found that turning the volume knob, immediately after hitting go, would catch her saying “starting route to...” and I could then adjust it to a usable volume.

Hopefully this works for you too.
By the way, if you have a similar problem, check to make sure your phone is giving you voice prompts before plugging into the USB. That way, you will know all your settings and volume controls are set correctly on the phone and it can only be an issue on the vehicle side.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
I had the same problem, and after a few Google searches, I found a solution. You can only change the voice volume while Siri is talking. Unfortunately, this is rather challenging when you can’t hear her talking.
I don't know if Siri does this, but with Google I just say "OK Google ... define antidisestablishmentariansim" and then I adjust the volume while it speaks the definition.

·
Registered
161 Posts
This happend to me about the first of the year too and has been pissing me off daily ever since. Must have come along with some update.

·
Registered
161 Posts
There is a mute button in Apple Maps in the upper left corner of the Maps display. Make sure you didn’t actually hit it.
I do not see any such thing. Can you post a picture? My Sri volume works great if I ask a question. I get no voice for directions. Must have happend during some “update” as it worked for about the first year I had the car.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It may be that Siri's relationship to the Maps app is different than other apps or usages. This would explain why Siri volume control works for questions, controlling the phone (calling/texting) and music. Give the suggestion below a try.

The simplest thing to do is, as Deltaflyer states
I found that turning the volume knob, immediately after hitting go, would catch her saying “starting route to...” and I could then adjust it to a usable volume.
This works great. It does show the difficulty (or dumb implementation) between ApplePlay, Maps, and the vehicle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I do not see any such thing. Can you post a picture? My Sri volume works great if I ask a question. I get no voice for directions. Must have happend during some “update” as it worked for about the first year I had the car.
Ask Siri for directions to a location then start guidance. Tap on the screen to display the header bar. It will slide down from the top of the screen. It contains a speaker icon (voice guidance), magnifying glass icon (search), Overview, and End.

Make sure the voice guidance icon does not have a line through it. Tap on the icon so it looks like the one in the attached picture. The pink arrow points to the voice guidance icon.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
When using the Bolt's CarPlay/iPhone integration app and specifically Apple maps, I no longer get the audio indicating driving instructions (like 'turn left'). It used to work, but now no longer does so. I've rebooted the Infotainment center to no avail. Anyone else see this problem and have a solution?

More detail:
  • hooking up the iphone via usb cable, the map displays and works as expected except for voice instructions.
  • the connection works fine if I play audio from my iphone (songs, audible books, etc), but not Apple Maps.
  • I've also tried with my wife's iPhone 6 and it behaves in the same way (no voice instructions)
  • I have tried several different voice setting levels within Apple Maps to no avail.
  • tried different usb cables
  • if I connect to the infotainment center via bluetooth it does work

Any ideas?
Thanks.
I have the same problem. I took the Bolt to the dealer in September -no solution. Next, I called Chevy Center and spent over an hour driving around the neighborhood--visuals but no audio. I got home, disconnected the cable, and Apple Maps audio was loud and clear on my iPhone. I have been in touch with Kendra at Chevy Center in Michigan-no solution. Kevin the Chief Tech at Depaula promised to create a special search a month ago and get back asap-no reply yet. Last week, while looking at the Apple Car Play Screen, I saw a pop up saying "Audio not working." Has anyone seen that? Are there any other "experts" I can try to contact because I rely on the audio for a safe driving experience. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
^^^
What if you turn up the volume (like via the knob) when Apple Maps or Siri is talking? That seems to be the only time from the car where you can adjust guidance volume. (It's not a Bolt only thing. The behavior was the same in rental '18 Elantra and '19 Altimas w/my phone using CarPlay when I was on a trip elsewhere in the country.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.