Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the WWDC conference, Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) announces that iOS 14 and Apple Maps will include electric vehicle routing, which tracks a vehicle's current charge, factors in elevation and weather, and shows chargers along a route. Apple is partnering with BMW (OTCPK:BMWYY) and Ford (NYSE:F) at the launch.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
CarKey: The CarKey feature lets you use an iPhone and Apple Watch to unlock, lock, and start NFC-compatible cars. Pairing happens through the Wallet app, and the setup process requires downloading the car manufacturer's app. CarKey can then be shared with others through iMessage.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Does Apple also use the app to determine the car's SoC? I also wonder how well it will predict the car's efficiency. For example, I put sticky tires on my Bolt, which made a noticeable dent in my efficiency. If they used the standard EPA efficiency for the Bolt, I could be SOL.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
77 Posts
Does Apple also use the app to determine the car's SoC? I also wonder how well it will predict the car's efficiency. For example, I put sticky tires on my Bolt, which made a noticeable dent in my efficiency. If they used the standard EPA efficiency for the Bolt, I could be SOL.
Apple seems to be working with car makers on the tech. Presumably, there would need to be data sharing between myChevy app and Maps. But, myChevy lacks some of the detail, so it may also require updates to the Chevy app. GM just spent considerable time attempting to update Energy Assist, lets hope they don't get territorial and drag their feet on this one!

Lets hope they also work with Plugshare and ABRP, etc to share data. It would be great to also see plug availability, kW, ratings, and pricing. And, also be able to upload a trip plan from these apps to Apple Maps.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Apple seems to be working with car makers on the tech. Presumably, there would need to be data sharing between myChevy app and Maps. But, myChevy lacks some of the detail, so it may also require updates to the Chevy app. GM just spent considerable time attempting to update Energy Assist, lets hope they don't get territorial and drag their feet on this one!

Lets hope they also work with Plugshare and ABRP, etc to share data. It would be great to also see plug availability, kW, ratings, and pricing. And, also be able to upload a trip plan from these apps to Apple Maps.
A perfect example of how good software improves the driving experience. Whether partnering with third party applications or bringing it all under one umbrella proves the right move remains to be seen.
Unfortunately, there are a number of members on this forum that are dead set against the sharing of data. They prefer staying unplugged from the mothership. Hopefully you can opt in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts