Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone unaware of these useful App's, take advantage of them, its an easy way to immediately improve your Bolt/Volt ownership experience. These are App's recommended by Chevrolet, if you know of any others please post them here

myChevrolet Mobile App...
Apple
Andriod

ChargePoint...
Apple
Android

PlugShare...
Apple

Andriod

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also downloaded Blink, but was not inpressed.

Has anyone found a good "Trip Planning" site or app where you can enter start and end points, and it either routes you to the location showing you distance between points, or makes it easy to calculate?

I currently use Plugshare, and have Google Maps open at the same time to enter data from one into the other and try to calculate actual distance, etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you have an Android phone, you will need to download Android Auto in order to connect to the car. It's not included in the standard Android apps. You can also use the app with your phone screen even though you may not have a car with it built-in.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Has anyone found a good "Trip Planning" site or app where you can enter start and end points, and it either routes you to the location showing you distance between points, or makes it easy to calculate?

I currently use Plugshare, and have Google Maps open at the same time to enter data from one into the other and try to calculate actual distance, etc.
You can "Trip plan" on Plugshare, but not ideal. The link is just to the right of the search box. Once there, you plug in the start and end address and use the slider to adjust how far off your route it will show stations. You can click on a station and there is a green "Add to Route" button in the upper left of the station details. After you do this, you can see the distances. To remove a station, click it on the route list and there will be a red "Remove from Route" button in the upper left.

A little better than pasting between Google maps and Plugshare.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi all - taking this a bit askew to HomeLink. There has been discussion in several areas about HomeLink missing in the Bolt. This has had me flummoxed especially considering the fact that HomeLink has the Bolt listed as an equipped vehicle.

Then I found the Tesla HomeLink info which seems to utilize the large cockpit computer screen and a sensor in the front of the Tesla to program HomeLink to work with a garage door.

Thoughts? Do you think the Bolt is wired for HomeLink but the software isn't ready?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I really don't know about homelink at this point. Seems like nobody has a straight answer about it. The homelink site lists the Chevy Bolt as a compatible vehicle, but we just can't seem to find it on the build page. Maybe it's possible to install an aftermarket homelink kit, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Wish all the app providers just worked with each other to produce one comprehensive app with all the chargers. But that's not going to happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wish all the app providers just worked with each other to produce one comprehensive app with all the chargers. But that's not going to happen anytime soon.
I would only want the Google's of this world to do that and with the rate things are moving at and all happening on their end they intergrate this with Google Maps if not already, especially when they wanted to roll out their own vehicle. Even if they can't convert a Nissan loyalist they can get them through software.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Do chargepoint and plugshare chargers overlap?
Chargepoint and Plugshare are two different kinds of things.

Chargepoint is an EV Charging network, with physical charging stations in various locations from which you can charge your EV.

PlugShare is an app that is used to find chargers, both from the Chargepoint network and from other networks such as EV Go. The information on PlugShare is crowdsourced - it comes from EV owners who upload location, capability, price, and status to the cloud so that it can be displayed by the PlugShare app.

I believe ChargePoint may also have its own app to let you find charging stations, but I'd assume that it only lists ChargePoint stations and not its competitors.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I Primarily Use PlugShare App

Do chargepoint and plugshare chargers overlap?
The PlugShare App seems to have most of the ChargePoint locations. PlugShare also has locations of individuals that may allow use of their charger. So I primarily use the PlugShare app, but if I'm going to a completely new area, I might check ChargePoint app for safety.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Limited use until you do long distance

For anyone unaware of these useful App's, take advantage of them, its an easy way to immediately improve your Bolt/Volt ownership experience. These are App's recommended by Chevrolet, if you know of any others please post them here

myChevrolet Mobile App...
Apple
Andriod

ChargePoint...
Apple
Android

PlugShare...
Apple

Andriod
Totally agree with this comment, but if you do not do any long distance driving beyond the native range of the Chevy Bolt, then they are of limited use.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Chargepoint and Plugshare are two different kinds of things.

Chargepoint is an EV Charging network, with physical charging stations in various locations from which you can charge your EV.

PlugShare is an app that is used to find chargers, both from the Chargepoint network and from other networks such as EV Go. The information on PlugShare is crowdsourced - it comes from EV owners who upload location, capability, price, and status to the cloud so that it can be displayed by the PlugShare app.

I believe ChargePoint may also have its own app to let you find charging stations, but I'd assume that it only lists ChargePoint stations and not its competitors.
ChargePoint (CP) does have its own app to let you find charging stations; it lists both ChargePoint stations and those of a few of its larger competitors (EVgo, Blink, SemaCharge - in my area at least). The ChargePoint app show availability on *its* charger network (in use, off-line, available). It also allows you to start and stop charging sessions from your smart phone.

As mentioned, PlugShare (PS) is crowdsourced - EV owners provide the info. It has info on charging stations of a LOT of other charging networks (those not mentioned above, as well as those mentioned above and even 'un-networked', stand-alone charging locations). The plugshare app doesn't (generally) provide availability info for the chargers (but it does for some networks). It also allows you to pay for charging through the app (again, only for some of the networks).

Honestly, I use the plugshare app to *find* stations in an area (I can see what networks are present, as well as un-networked locations). It is great for seeing what's there, and what networks are present (as well as the individual stations). I then use a charge-network-specific app to check on availability and/or start a charge when I need electricity away from home (ChargePoint, Greenlots, Blink, GE, SemaConnect, Volta, ...). Unless, of course, there are free non-networked stations in the area (such as Clipper Creek's row of free charging at their offices in Auburn, CA) - then I might just use plugshare to find the address.

But most of the apps (besides CP and PS) are pretty crappy - slow, buggy, crappy interface. And since CP(ChargePoint) has a good app, lots and lots of stations, and show real-time availability of stations - I tend to stick mainly with ChargePoint. If no stations are convenient using CP, I look up others on PS.

PS: Oh, and ChargePoint (in general) doesn't *own* the stations. They sell them, install them, and maintain a common network that customers can use to publisize/monetize their units. CP doesn't set the pricing, or decide what type of station(s) to install : the customer does that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did register with chargepoint. I got two cards. I also enabled on my cell phone. They said I can just tap the phone and charge. I heard two more networks blink and evgo. Not sure if anything exists. Do I need to register each network and download apps for these? Or is there any universal card? Let me know what people typically register.

It is good to setup accounts for emergency so that it will save time and not to have stress at last minute empty battery on the trips.

·
Registered
387 Posts
In my experience, you can charge and pay at any charger with a credit card. I got a free Charge Point card with the car. Have yet to use it. I registered with EV Go and got a card. Used it last week in Tahoe. Easy peasy.

As for apps...I don't use their apps. I just go to Plugshare.com with my browser to find a nearby charger. They always seem to be available. What advantage is there using the app over using the website?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts