Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a link to sales for the Bolt.

http://insideevs.com/april-2017-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/

If Chevy wanted to they could be selling over 2000 Bolts per month if the dealers knew the product they were selling and they opened up their inventory out of California. California dealers are starting to put sub $300 leases on their websites, so I expect this number to rise again this month with a few more east coast states having inventory. Imagine if the Bolt had real front seats, they had a better rollout plan, people that sold this car actually knew the product they were selling, and if they any type of advertising... Chevy could have easily sold 50,000 Bolts this year, easily...

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
The thing is, GM is really trying to make a profit with this car, or at least break even. That's why they are skipping the advertising, priced the car appropriately and isn't doing the give away lease deals. I agree that the rollout plan might be flawed, but I also understand them being conservative. They want to limit the number of potential recalls, or problems while us early beta testers are testing them in the wilds. GM gets more crap in the press than just about any car company, so they have to be careful. Selling a large volume of cars, but each one at a loss does not impress Wall Street analysts. Neither does a huge recall.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
The Bolt is in a space of it's own in the marketplace right now. It has no real competitors, however competition is just months away. The Bolt is an awesome product, but it's also an expensive product and buyers want to do their due diligence. I believe many are waiting to purchase until they can asses the competition. This includes the Model 3, but also Leaf 2.0 and the Iqonic. I expect Bolt sales to stay steady due to availability in more states, but sales won't go up until July, or even August.

EVs are a hard sell in general and EV enthusiasts are tough crowd.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
^ potential Bolt buyers may be playing a waiting game with many dealers still asking full MSRP for the Bolt in some areas.

It took over a full month after being available here before any dealer even considered selling at a discount off MSRP. Thing is... in this modern instant information age- it's easy to see CA dealers are discounting $3K + off Bolts... so knowing it can be done there means it can be done here and that you'd be wise to wait it out if you can till discounting hits your area.

Even today, 2+ months after getting Bolts on the lots here... four out of the six local Chevy dealers are still asking full MSRP for the Bolt.
One is advertising $1K off MSRP, and another is giving $3K off MSRP.... but the other four... still full boat MSRP.

I had one local Chevy dealer write me off as a potential buyer with a "good luck to you in the future!" reply email when I simply asked "if...." they would be offering Bolt discounts. Attitudes like that from dealerships certainly won't help Bolt sales!

·
Registered
17 Posts
^ potential Bolt buyers may be playing a waiting game with many dealers still asking full MSRP for the Bolt in some areas.

I had one local Chevy dealer write me off as a potential buyer with a "good luck to you in the future!" reply email when I simply asked "if...." they would be offering Bolt discounts. Attitudes like that from dealerships certainly won't help Bolt sales!
I can't help but think I'm vindictive enough to send back an e-mail with a picture of your hatch with your dealer's name on it, and a note that reads, "$3K off MSRP! Good luck to you in the future!" >:)

But I'm not a nice guy so there's that... Actually, I'm sure the sales staff has their hands tied because the owner/sales manager will ultimately make the decision whether they'll offer discounts.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
It's Ok. It's the free market at work. Dealers are trying to asses how much these cars are really worth. On the other hand, some dealers would really rather not sell Bolts, so they can come back at GM and say- "We tried, but nobody wanted them." Then there is the whole dealer allocation system. I think it may be based on performance of selling Volts. If a dealer did well selling Volts, they get more Bolts to sell. If not they get just a few.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
potential Bolt buyers may be playing a waiting game with many dealers still asking full MSRP for the Bolt in some areas.
I'm totally willing to pay full MSRP. I'd buy one today if I could, except that:

a) Nobody has a demonstrator. I won't commit until I can get in a half-hour or so drive to make sure the seats aren't going to be a deal-stopper, and

b) Even if I was willing to buy sight unseen none of the dealers has any stock available. Everyone's rather meager allocation (of around a dozen bolts or less per dealership) was pre-sold and they all claim that there won't be any more Bolts coming in until the next model year.

This "feast or famine" rollout is very frustrating.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I can't help but think I'm vindictive enough to send back an e-mail with a picture of your hatch with your dealer's name on it, and a note that reads, "$3K off MSRP! Good luck to you in the future!"
Funny thing is, yesterday I got a "are you still interested?" email from the first dealership I visited for a Bolt test ride over a month ago. They were selling at full MSRP only back then... now they're offering $1K off MSRP across the board on all Bolts.
I was going to reply "thanks... love the Bolt! it's been great." but I decided to take the high road on that one and deleted the email to remove all temptation :p

The dealership that summarily wrote me off as a potential buyer for simply asking "if" they would be discounting Bolts has not reached out to me since the "good luck in the future" email. I went on their site yesterday.... they don't have any Bolt's for sale currently and nothing marked "in transit"... so I guess they have decided to stick to selling Pickup Trucks and SUV's.
Oh well... their loss!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts