Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a lease returned, 2017 Chevy Bolt EVPremier with 45k miles from a used dealer. The dealer offered me a 5yr,60mile warranty from Protective Asset Protection for $2200 which I declined. I have been researching for other aftermarkets and came across Autopom which offered me a 48 month/48,000 warranty for $2500 through RRP Motorclub and Carchex which provided a 3yr/45,000 warranty for $1800.

A Chevy dealer offered me a warranty as well through Assurant but it was very expensive for bumper to bumper @
$5000. I talked him down to $3k. It seems most automotive companies even major dealers do not manage their own
extended warranties any longer.

I have read all of the forums online and it is very tough to choose a good company and reviews seem to be biased.

Has anyone had any experience with Autopom, Endurance or Carchex?

If you have any recommendations of any of the companies above or other 3rd party extended warranties it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

·
Registered
317 Posts
Aftermarket car extended warranty companies have a reputation of going out of business, or writing warranties with loopholes that allow avoiding paying claims (e.g. listing things that are covered but excluding everything else, but those are the things that rarely fail, while the unlisted things include things that fail more often but are uncovered).

Also, would you have chosen the car in the first place if you thought it was unreliable or prone to expensive repairs?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've heard too many stories of how these third party warranties aren't honored. They always find a loophole for why your situation isn't covered. You have almost no recourse at that point unless you want to hire a lawyer and go to court--and if you can afford that you can probably afford the car repair and don't need the warranty.

If anything, go with a dealer's extended warranty because you have some leverage over a brick and mortar facility. If they don't pay up, you threaten to never buy a car from them again, tell all your family and friends to do the same, and thrash them on social media. The third party aftermarket scammers run a national operation and can rebrand whenever necessary to protect the guilty.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Remember that health insurance companies have analysts who win a bonus for the claims they can turn aside. Now think of the auto warranty companies' equivalent, with lesser (no?) regulation over them.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I just purchased a lease returned, 2017 Chevy Bolt EVPremier with 45k miles from a used dealer.
You've got half the warranty left both in miles and in time. Just enjoy the vehicle and take someone out for a nice night out on the town with a tiny fraction of the money you saved.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Basically Extended Car Warranty companies are the equivalent of Insurance Salesmen from old cartoons. They write very complicated policies that only really guarantee that you will pay them initially. Otherwise the policy has something in it like "as a result of a stampede of wild elephants running through his house between 3:55 and 4 PM on the Fourth of July, during a hailstorm." *

*Fool Coverage, starring Daffy Duck and Porky Pig.

·
Registered
605 Posts
A friend had warranty coverage denied because the destruction of the engine started from a failed water pump. Because anything originating from water damage was specifically excluded. It was right there in the policy. Sorry bud .... I worked with him and overheard endless phone calls, not resulting in any satisfaction.

Save your $1,800~$5,000. Thats a lot of money to pay for nothing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I purchased my 2017 Bolt new, I also purchased an extended warranty from the dealer. After reviewing the extended warranty, terms, which covered items found in an ICE car that the Bold does not have, I canceled the extended warranty and received a full refund. I am very happy I did not keep the extended warranty. My car has had zero issues since I purchased it in August of 2017. The only trips to the Dealer is to have the tires inflated with nitrogen for free when they get a little low.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Having been in sales and marketing for many years, always apply this logic:

"If it's anything you need, you'll be out looking for a place to buy it.
If someone comes to you to sell you something, you probably don't need it. "
FWIW, the stealership finance manager was almost embarrassed trying to sell me the aftermarket warranty; the selling points were all aimed at ICE problems.

jack vines

1 - 12 of 12 Posts