Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Hmm, I had a fluid question. The traction motor has transmission fluid in it. Anyone know the lifespan of that? I imagine it's "life of the vehicle" if it's not on the schedule, and I realize there's probably not a lot going on that would wear it out. Just curious.
Imagine it's like getting the oil changed in a rear wheel drive differential. Level is most important. If it doesn't get overheated then it probably will last the life of the vehicle. With the Bolt's active cooling of the oil, it probably won't get overheated and with the filter and magnet, it probably doesn't need to be changed.

Hope that they have a level sensor. A small leak overtime could be an issue if not caught. Maybe the level can be checked like a differential by sticking ones finger into the fill port?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
IIRC, the Volt (at least the 1st gen Volt) didn't have a wiper fluid level sensor either.

Nothing like running dry driving into the sun with salt covered winter roads.....

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
So I wonder if they skimped on the firewall to save weight or if they are even legally allowed to? I don't know if there are any regulations requiring a firewall for safety concerns.
Everybody I knew, from childhood on, referred to the stamped steel panel between the cabin and engine compartment as the firewall. As far as I know, it nerve was anything but a piece of sheet metal, like the rest of the body. I doubt there are any standards for how long it can withstand a fire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anybody know whether the washer fluid reservoir has a level sensor to notify when it's empty?
As GregBrew noted, no. But you don't need a sensor as long as you top up the reservoir monthly when you check all the other under-hood fluid levels, etc. You do check those monthly, right?
Right. :rolleyes:

P.S.: When I see how ill-conceived some cars are (especially higher trims), I begin to miss my Volkswagen - it was packed with sensors and conveniences of any sort despite the lowest trim ... :crying:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Right. :rolleyes:

P.S.: When I see how ill-conceived some cars are (especially higher trims), I begin to miss my Volkswagen - it was packed with sensors and conveniences of any sort despite the lowest trim ... :crying:
I once owned a VW Jetta. Every service, every repair was at least $500. No thanks. I'll forgo the myriad of sensors that can fail and add complexity to an engineering work of beauty.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts