Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran across a picture of the cyber turck, and it makes me wonder, who would want to drive this thing?
I am all for EV and no more ICE fuel burning stinkers.
But why would anyone want to be seen in this thing?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Furthermore the article state "
"The Cybertruck is now the cheapest Tesla that customers could order today"
starting at $42k
The Cybertruck is now the cheapest Tesla that customers could order today

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
47 Posts
If it has decent cargo capacity in the bed of the truck, capability of towing both standard bumper-pull trailers and goosenecks, range comparable to the Bolt, and 4WD, then yeah, I’d buy one.

The reason I own an ICE F150 is to haul things around - I live in farm country, after all. I use it to get a sizable load of hay bales, shavings, or feed to deliver for my sister’s horses; transport my dad’s Ranger or little Kubota around by trailer wherever he needs them taken; to haul a large trailer load of oak brush to the duck blind prior to duck season; and take a deer to the check-in station and butcher’s after a successful hunt, among other uses.

The vehicle’s looks aren’t a priority when you’ve got a job to do. If the Cybertruck could do all that for me whilst being a decent all-around EV, I’d buy it. But, knowing how many people already have a preorder for it, and knowing how Tesla is already taking a long time to produce and deliver their current lineup, I’ll most likely be getting an electric F150 instead.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Maybe it'll be a decent truck but it's not Tesla's wheelhouse. The bedsails don't seem to be a great idea for a truck. I'll reserve further judgment about that until they actually start selling them.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Main attraction for me is the stainless steel body and maybe the air suspension. I could take it on the 2 track roads through the forest and not worry about brush and tree limbs scratching through paint. BTW, we (me included) haven't ordered a CT. What we have done is bought a reservation. Fine print says the price will be determined when the truck is ORDERED. Considering a LR Y is already priced mid 50's there's no way in Hades the CT will actually cost what the website says.
Agree the Lightning is much more like a working man's truck. CT is aimed at recreation and well, those that think an urban assault vehicle is cool.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
It’s for people who view the world around them as a warzone. I mean I guess good for them?

Since it is at least 1+ years from production, any pricing info is highly provisional.

P.S. Doesn’t this thread belong in the EV Lounge sub forum?

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From this picture it almost looks like the truck is symmetrical, meaning can't tell if it's coming or going. The front looks much like the back.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's like if DeLorean made a truck. Also now I found it usefulness, throw a time circuit and a flux capacitor in that puppy for Back to the Future 4.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ran across a picture of the cyber turck, and it makes me wonder, who would want to drive this thing?
I am all for EV and no more ICE fuel burning stinkers.
But why would anyone want to be seen in this thing?
No LG Chem Batts....so yeah....I'll be their huckelberry

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Main attraction for me is the stainless steel body and maybe the air suspension. I could take it on the 2 track roads through the forest and not worry about brush and tree limbs scratching through paint.
Sometimes what seems like a good idea isn't. Better do the homework on the DeLorean site. They rank the stainless body as the #1 downside; they say it's impossible to keep looking good. Minor dings and scratches show up more than on paint.

jack vines

·
Registered
64 Posts
No but it's not anymore ridiculous or excessive than the EV Hummer.

The Rivian looks like the best EV truck to me. Midsize, good range and very capable. I have a Ford Ranger lease and I'm hoping the nextgen is out and electrified when my lease is up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sometimes what seems like a good idea isn't. Better do the homework on the DeLorean site. They rank the stainless body as the #1 downside; they say it's impossible to keep looking good. Minor dings and scratches show up more than on paint.

jack vines
Yeah, like the oh so fashionable stainless steel appliances that show every fingerprint and can’t be cleaned with normal products. I ended up using WD40 on my old fridge, and when I replaced it I specifically sought out an enameled finish!

(I did once drive a Delorean. I was not paying attention to the fingerprints.)

·
Registered
64 Posts
... I’ll most likely be getting an electric F150 instead.
Ford did an excellent job designing the Lightning truck, anticipating the needs of all sorts of uses and lifestyles. The huge frunk that can hold tools for contractors or be filled with ice for a tailgate party is a big selling point, along with the 120V outlets, the ability to power your house for 3 days, and more.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

jack vines
As a former DeLorean owner, Jack is actually understating the true extent to how hard it is to keep it looking like it did in the showroom. The best advice for future CT owners is to just let it “age” like a fine vintage kitchen sink LOL.

Some say that the brushed surface can be duplicated with a piece of sandpaper. Maybe so, but only if you can make perfect straight brush marks like on the panel. Otherwise, I would strongly suggest experimenting “in an inconspicuous area” so that you have advanced knowledge of what you are about to permanently screw up 🤬

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
468 Posts
Hey the truck is original and for that I can give it credit. Sick of same ole same ole. Why not chop the top of the bolt and make a rag top or t top version. Like the old vw thing. Cant wait for the newer models like the ev6 to actually show up. Me, I would love a modern suicide door version with some 50s style. Like the ZZ eliminator car. Fun, style done with modern brakes etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Was an early adapter on an '03 Honda Element , got a lot of " You bought one of those THINGS ? " 6 moths later they looked normal ... CT will be the same 'tho it'll take a year .

·
Registered
259 Posts
Looks retro... It's a 1980s video game polygon-shaped truck. Guess the designers didn't have the compute to design or render higher resolution smoother designs.

EDIT: Someone should make a back-to-the-future fake scene of "the future" in the movie with one of those Cybertrucks in the background. Totally would fit the style of such a 1980s movie.

·
Registered
161 Posts
LOL Elon is insane. They will never actually produce this truck for customers, because it would be such a nightmare to manufacture and the promised specs are impossible.

so yeah of course the "price" is cheap if you're silly enough to believe the car will ever be delivered. What you're actually doing is giving Tesla a tax-free loan when they ask for "reservation", because everyone will eventually cancel after 10 more years of Cybertruck production delays.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts