Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a reservation for CT because the specs vs price seem to be the best. It also seats six which is a huge bonus and means it can replace my mini-van as we don't need the 7 seats at this stage in our life although we occasionally still need the 6 seats. My reservation is inspite of the looks. If Tesla can produce it, deliver on range, durability, capacities and drives as well as promised, the dual motor at 50K is an amazing value. I'm guessing options wise it will compare to the Ford Lighting Lariat trim which will probably end up pricing out in the 60-70K range for similar options. I love the Rivian, but it will be in the mid-70's so price wise is a lot more than the CT Dual Motor. I would probably go with Rivian over CT tri-motor if I was going to spend that much money. My reservation on the CT is much why I bought a Bolt, it is a great value. I believe that the CT will go into production next year and full production in 2023, but that is an educated guess. Tesla has delivered on most of their promises (albeit delayed and with some major exceptions including cheaper models and the Roadster). I expect this will be no different and may be better since they know what to expect when producing a new model. They have over 1 million reservations, the demand is there (a big chunk of those reservations probably won't follow through, but even at 1 in 5 following through, huge demand). The biggest questions are can they build it tough enough for truck stuff and what happens after an accident (eg, how do you repair a stainless steel dent/damage?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I find it hard to stop laughing everytime I see the pic.
Looks like Bubba and JoeBob were sitting in the shade enjoying their second 36 pack. Bubba says "I bet I can build a pickup outta that there sheet metal."
JoeBob says "ok, I'm in".
Tesla "truck" is the result.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Dorkiest looking thing ever made. That makes a '59 Edsel look fetching. Elon Musk is quickly turning into the 21st Century's Howard Hughes. I'd never buy one of his vehicles, especially not one that butt assed ugly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Damning with faint praise...
Neither of them seem to be practical for most people. I think they do exactly what they intended to do, be over the top and driver conversation for EV trucks. They are going to grab attention when someone see them on the road that's for sure.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
I thought it was a joke when first unveiled, but then Musk continued on describing it. It looks ridiculous and though I don't consider aesthetics much, figured I'd never get one simply due to that. About a day later I started thinking the design looked ok, and now I kinda prefer it. Not having to worry about scratching the paint would be nice while trucking through overgrown logging roads. It's on my long range radar.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I have a $100 reservation down on the CT as well... I need to tow my boat and the SS skin should resist salt water rust. Being a truck, I really could care less what the Stainless looks like after a year or so.. it's a truck! I have plenty of Stainless on my 2001 Grady that still looks great. I will now be the one parking in the front row at Home Depot since the 3mm thick cold rolled SS will resist dings, etc from Billy-bob and Cletus. Air suspension, big azz tires, AWD, seats 6, 3mm SS skin ... what's the downside? So it doesn't look like a close relative to my 1972 Ford F100, so what... (in my best Sandy Monroe voice) it's not 1972 any more boys and girls ;)

FYI, I also have a $1K deposit on a Rivian R1T (top trim version) too because I like almost everything about it.. except the price, but with a $2K NYS and $7.5K Fed Tax Credit those bring it down almost $10K in price.
800hp, 900lb/ft torque four motor drive, 135kWh battery... beautiful interior, etc..

I hope both materialize sooner rather than later!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Let's see how Elon's weed-induced initial truck sketch fairs in the crash tests. I feel sorry for the meat bags inside or any pedestrian struck. Oh wait, I forgot Tesla's are magic and can't be in accidents.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Elon so far made some good things - he is in the $billioners club, and making rocket and space travel a "thing", so people will buy his products regardless just because it is "ELon".
I can see how stainless is appealing to some folks because it resists rusting, but what about the rest of the truck, frame? Stainless steel is also HEAVY and a pain in the rear to keep looking good.
Of course people will buy it. Same reason people buy a pickup truck to: fit in with piers, want to feel safer in a bigger vehicle, need a roomy ride and so on, but will never put anything in its pickup bed.
I can not see how it will be a $42000 truck.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I can see how stainless is appealing to some folks because it resists rusting, but what about the rest of the truck, frame?
It's a unibody. But exoskeleton sounds way cool. It's not a body on frame design. That's so last century. 😁

·
Registered
262 Posts
Scotty Kilmer likes to criticize those unibody designs. Apparently they're harder to fix. Is there any truth to that? This Scotty fellow seems to really loves to fix cars...so much so that he'd rather buy old clunkers just for the pleasure of fixing them and making click bait-titled youtube videos.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2011 Cruze Eco MT
118 Posts
Cosmetics aside, stainless steel lasts forever. These stainless steel Budd cars are over 65 years old and they're still in daily service on Canada's transcontinental train route:
View attachment 38148
I rode The Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver and back in January of 2006. Awesome trip! Beautiful train! I paid up for a bunk bed, three squares, and access to the entire train.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The plant is close to finishing and the suppliers seem to be in place. A steel mill in Corpus Christi is supposed to supply the material.

As to how long stainless lasts is well, usually more than steel but in the US Navy they used to use stuff called CRES. A special type of steel. We had a plate on the side of one ship that bolts were installed. They'd monitor them every year to see how well they survived.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
297 Posts
I find it hard to stop laughing everytime I see the pic.
Looks like Bubba and JoeBob were sitting in the shade enjoying their second 36 pack. Bubba says "I bet I can build a pickup outta that there sheet metal."
JoeBob says "ok, I'm in".
Tesla "truck" is the result.
So you're basically saying that this is the EV equivalent of the monster pickup for the testosterone-poisoned? Or is that the Hummer? Or the all-the-toys Rivian? Beginning to look like monster trucks will be around for a while...

·
Registered
85 Posts
It’s like some Tesla designer painted his kid’s pinewood derby car silver and pitched it to Elon Musk just see what would happen.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts