Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled up to a stoplight on the way to work today next to a gigantic Ram pickup. When the light turned green he floored it, so I decided to have some fun. Naturally I smoked him, and left him eating dust.

A couple of lights later he pulled up and rolled his window down, and said “Is that thing ELECTRIC!?” I said “Yep, sure is!”

·
Registered
32 Posts
The bolt is such a fun sleeper...moreso than an ICE because you can stomp on the accelerator without the roaring obnoxious protest of a combustion engine so you get gobs of effortless instant and almost silent torque. People get so confused when you are right there next to/in front of them while they have the pedal to the floor. :cool:

I have one neighbor who asked me what car I drive after he saw me on the road doing my thing and a month or two later had a Bolt in their driveway.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier w/ driver confidence 2 and infotainment packages in Silver Mist
124 Posts
One time I pulled up to a 4-way stop, both roads are rural 2-lane. To my left on the cross street a late model Ford F-150 “King Ranch” arrived about a second later. No other vehicles were in the intersection at the time. Watching him I proceeded straight ahead, as I was at a full stop AND I am to his right.
As he reaches an “almost” full stop, the dipstick in the F150 nails it while turning left, attempting to beat me to the punch.
As soon as I see him going out of turn I nail it too, and boy is he surprised that I get to the other side of the intersection at the same time as he does.
I slightly back-off the pedal guessing that he will back-off seeing that his little ploy has failed and that I already occupy the place he is trying to be.
BUT NOOOOOO. The fool is absolutely intent on showing me who rules, so he punches it in the on-coming lane and also trying to drift over into me and force me off the shoulder and into a field.
The only problem for him is that he never gets ahead of me and the best he can do is have his front bumper about even with the front seat door. I start to pull away from him before he finally backs off and falls in behind me.
So next I get the tailgating where all you see in the rear view is the grille. So I switched to “D” and take me foot off the pedal.
Of course the next plan is to try to punch it around me again in a passing attempt but this time I am totally prepared and have put it in Sport. After seeing that his twin-turbocharged gas guzzler just wasn’t up to the task he finally began to behave himself but due to his being a big-time ‘hole he had to follow me at 5 under the speed limit to the next intersection about 2 miles down and as I gave the one finger salute out the opened window.

I guess it will be a perpetual learning curve for the ICE folks that size isn’t going to work out for the bully truck drivers anymore.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
252 Posts
The bolt is such a fun sleeper...moreso than an ICE because you can stomp on the accelerator without the roaring obnoxious protest of a combustion engine so you get gobs of effortless instant and almost silent torque. People get so confused when you are right there next to/in front of them while they have the pedal to the floor. :cool:

I have one neighbor who asked me what car I drive after he saw me on the road doing my thing and a month or two later had a Bolt in their driveway.
So indicative of this car as a whole. If people knew how much fun it is to drive along with the efficiency and practicality, GM would sell so many more.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So indicative of this car as a whole. If people knew how much fun it is to drive along with the efficiency and practicality, GM would sell so many more.
That's weird, I have just over 8k miles on my Bolt and have never once thought it was fun to drive. It's quiet transportation that is fatastic for communting, but fun is definitely not a word I would associate with the Bolt. Functional is the word I'd use.

·
Registered
253 Posts
That's weird, I have just over 8k miles on my Bolt and have never once thought it was fun to drive. It's quiet transportation that is fatastic for communting, but fun is definitely not a word I would associate with the Bolt. Functional is the word I'd use.
Really. When I'm waxing enthusiastically about it with someone, I call it a little rocket. And this thread. It's fun.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
252 Posts
Wow, that'd be one of the first words I'd use and I almost always see it in reviews. That instant torque is just crazy fun to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Count me in the "Fun Car!" category. Most of you have probably seen the video of the drag race between a Bolt and a GTI. Sure, the GTI would be better over 10 laps on a road course, but that's not indicative of 99.9% of the driving I do (don't ask about the other 0.1%!). If (like me) you think the Bolt's stock handling is just a tad, uh, uninspiring, then the addition of the Whiteline rear sway bar does wonders. The Bolt already has a pretty good front/rear weight balance (for FWD) and a fairly low center-of-mass.

The front/rear balance helps with handling, but hurts with launch traction - as Packard said, the Bolt is quite traction-limited as a FWD car. My biggest wish is that it had been RWD (wouldn't even have to be AWD) which would basically solve that.

But since it's FWD, I'm weird enough to actually enjoy that I have to wrestle the wheel a bit with torque steer - it feels quite communicative and you know better what the car is doing. If you "stage" correctly at a traffic light (to avoid low-traction oily patches and pavement ripples in the "launch zone") you can definitely surprise most other folks who think they'll get the drop on you. In the twisties you're not going to out-G that GTI that has fatter low-profile rubber, but on real roads at less-than-jail speeds you can hustle along pretty well, and confidently so, even with the stock tires.

Definitely a fun car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bolt is FUN! I'm an economy car guy. Coming to Bolt from my Ford Festiva, Geo Metro, old Honda Insight, wow! - I can drive with everybody else now. The Bolt accelerates! All my life, until now, I've merely gathered momentum and stayed in the right lane. I'm loving this smooth, silent and eager car!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
... never gets old! ;)

Reactions: Littlecars

·
Registered
417 Posts
The Bolt is the weird little car that one can drive very fast on the straights, but has to slow way down on the corners due to the OEM tires. A good pair of tires could probably fix that though (at the expense of range)..

·
Registered
645 Posts
Not long ago I gave a woman in a Kia Soul GT (turbo) a lesson when she tried to pass me in a right turn only lane on a single lane road. We came from a previous light so we weren't even up to the speed limit yet and I was accelerating normally (but briskly as I always do, leaving others behind) and she thought she'd show me how to accelerate. I heard her rev and move right so I mashed it before her front bumper was even with my rear bumper and not only did she not get by me, she dropped back a bit. If I see anyone ahead, even on the side street, I just let those go but nobody was around and I could tell she just wanted to be "one of those". Sure enough, later on the long stretch of country road, I'm going about 4 over the limit and she is going even slower. So she just wanted to get around me and then impede me by going under the limit. When making the right into my neighborhood, I drove slow in the turn lane to let her catch up and pass by and I saw the GT badge on the back of her car.

Mike

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
It's been discussed many times, many ways, but it's that instantaneous response with the one-pedal that makes the Bolt feel so much quicker than most other cars. Prior to the Bolt, I drove both manual and automatics, turbos and NA. When a traffic light or other acceleration opportunity presents, its, "foot off the brake, foot on the accelerator, clutch out or torque converter to stall, moves off, engine revs and/or turbo spools up and finally, there is forward progress." With the Bolt, right foot is on the pedal, light changes, it's just quickly and quietly gone.

Also, the instantaneous response of the Bolt is catching left-turn-bandits wide-eyed. Many drivers, accustomed to the slow reflexes of the huge ICEs, will try to squeeze through after their left turn light is red. Not when it's a Bolt. My light goes green and I'm coming into the intersection while they're still broadside and trying to get out of where they shouldn't be.

Bottom line, there are dozens of ICEs, which when driven at max ability, will leave the Bolt far behind, but they'll make a lot of noise, attract a lot of attention and use a lot of gas doing it. The Bolt performance is easily and unobtrusively usable in everyday driving.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Bottom line, there are dozens of ICEs, which when driven at max ability, will leave the Bolt far behind, but they'll make a lot of noise, attract a lot of attention and use a lot of gas doing it. The Bolt performance is easily and unobtrusively usable in everyday driving.

jack vines
Yup, to get the same off the line response out of my old EVO I would have to be sitting at a red light, up on the two step rev limiter with the turbo spooled up before the light went green... this tends to attract unfriendly attention from law enforcement personnel :D

Keith

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bottom line, there are dozens of ICEs, which when driven at max ability, will leave the Bolt far behind, but they'll make a lot of noise, attract a lot of attention and use a lot of gas doing it.
I don't know that I'd say "dozens" - a small handful maybe. But very few of them (if any) can do it for the price of a Bolt, and none of them can do it with the environmental impact of the Bolt.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts