Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
That the Bolt is such a hoot to drive was the closer. We couldn't cost-justify buying one, but it sold itself by promising everyday driving would be fun.

jack vines
Yes. When I did a test drive, it was all over. Couldn't believe the handling and the acceleration. Forgot the cost as it was still cheaper than any other vehicle with the best performance. Love the regen and the paddle is my best friend. What a joy. Don't get on my ass or I'll regen you.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Yes. When I did a test drive, it was all over. Couldn't believe the handling and the acceleration. Forgot the cost as it was still cheaper than any other vehicle with the best performance. Love the regen and the paddle is my best friend. What a joy. Don't get on my ass or I'll regen you.
Haha, I think that's how a few of us ended up trading in our previous car ahead of schedule. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Bolt has great acceleration for a small economy car. 0-60 in 6.5 sec is nothing to
sneeze at. But there are plenty of muscle and sports cars out there that will get you the way you get the gen-pop vehicles you see.

And then you have a Model S with ludicrous that will drop a 2.4 sec 0-60. Now you are at the top 1%.

My other vehicle of note is an ICE powered motorcycle. It is a screamer. It is a ‘15 BMW S1000RR. I used to go to the track a lot more than I do now because my reaction time is slower and I don’t want to lay it down. And maybe die obviously.

And It will only do 2.6 sec 0-60, but it does do better above that. 1/4 mile is 9.8 sec @144 mph. Not sure what the ludicrous does but my top end of 190 will eventually leave him in the dust.

Anyone else here like 2 wheelers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ride a 2018 Zero SR which has an advertised 0-60 time of 3.3 seconds and its soooooo much fun. 6600 miles and no problems whatsoever, but I noticed my rear tire is starting to wear out...I wonder why?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
252 Posts
THe dealership where I bought mine, put another into a service replacement position to give more drivers the experience. I tell people I didn't buy because it's electric, but because it kicks ass. Day one of ownership... what a blast. Instant speed up. Safer situation in traffic.
Like I’ve said over and over again, if GM has positioned this as an electric hot hatch, it would’ve done a lot better. It’s a blast to drive and has enough range that you can get away with driving it that way often.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier w/ driver confidence 2 and infotainment packages in Silver Mist
124 Posts
I ride a 2018 Zero SR which has an advertised 0-60 time of 3.3 seconds and its soooooo much fun. 6600 miles and no problems whatsoever, but I noticed my rear tire is starting to wear out...I wonder why?
Zeros are awesome! All my relatives live in the Santa Cruz area, so I have been to the Zero factory and of course I had to test ride a SRS 😀

Very impressed, I asked if they would trade me for my S1000rr and yes but along with $$$$ of course. Still on my wish list.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Like I’ve said over and over again, if GM has positioned this as an electric hot hatch, it would’ve done a lot better. It’s a blast to drive and has enough range that you can get away with driving it that way often.
A sports version with sway bar, upgraded shocks/suspension, and stickier tires would be nice. :)

Reactions: Jcray

·
Registered
645 Posts
The car has very poor take off.
Yes, ti goes nicely, but more torque and power should be released at low end. Many times I feel there is much more grip available yet power is not coming out...
500e was much more drastic.
Bolt is kind of gentle...
I have to agree. On dry roads, I can mash it all the way to the floor and it won't spin if I'm driving straight, even with TC and stability turned off. I think they could easily cut the ramp-up time of the kW output by at least half and it'd make it more fun and you could still put the power down. The full power of the electric motor certainly isn't available from 0 RPM. It takes a good 2 seconds to get full power but when you do, it pulls hard! If they made the power come on faster, it could probably cut at least a half second off the 0-60.

Mike

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I'd love to be out there with you early on a Sunday morning on a back road. However, those who ride electric bikes and motorcycles in today's traffic are braver than I am. I'll admit to being relieved many years ago when I sold my last motorcycle. I'd been hit twice, neither my fault. That I wasn't killed or seriously injured either time was one more miracle than I probably deserved. Both accidents, "I never saw you coming." Can't imagine how much quicker a Zero would get it's rider into that zone.

We have some here who are brave enough to ride electric bicycles on grocery shopping trips. Again, you're braver than I. Last week here, a woman riding a bike was killed by the extended mirror on a tow truck.

jack vines

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm with you, Jack. I've got a Brammo Empulse R up on Craigslist as my last motorcycle to let go of. After installing a larger rear sprocket, it would do 0-30 in under 1.5 seconds which was fun. But at 76, I find I'm just not riding it much now that I'm not commuting. Also, having a SMDSY, which ended with a cracked pelvis, by a person turning in front of me from an adjacent no-turn lane, didn't exactly boost my enthusiasm.

The Bolt does get me "How old are you?"comments from my wife as I shoot away from stoplights next to Mustangs, Corvettes, etc. My answer: "Divide my age by 4."

·
Registered
417 Posts
Absolutely. The Bolt is the more fun (and cheaper) alternative to the Fiesta ST (discontinued), the VW GTI and so forth. Trying to style it as some sort of mini-crossover was completely counterproductive.

I've always wanted a hot hatch and I've always wanted an EV. The Bolt covers both bases admirably.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
That is one of the main things I love. I can drive like a hooligan and not get stranded by the road side like you could in a short rang EV with the same behaviors :)

Also, I can run the heat, or the AC without agonizing over the choice of being comfortable, or freezing my [email protected]#ls off to reach my destination.

Keith

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have to agree. On dry roads, I can mash it all the way to the floor and it won't spin and I don't think I am spinning the tires if I'm driving straight, even with TC and stability turned off. I think they could easily cut the ramp-up time of the kW output by at least half and it'd make it more fun and you could still put the power down. The full power of the electric motor certainly isn't available from 0 RPM. It takes a good 2 seconds to get full power to gain traction, but when you do, it pulls hard! If they made the power come on faster, it could probably cut at least a half second off the 0-60.

Mike
Fixed that for you :)

Your tires will last you 30,000 to 40,000 miles, but you don't think you are spinning the tires because you don't have torque steer and the stock tires make virtually zero noise when they are spinning... If you don't floor it even on a strait road until you are doing 35+ mph your tires will last 60,000 miles...

Keith

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Fixed that for you :)

Your tires will last you 30,000 to 40,000 miles, but you don't think you are spinning the tires because you don't have torque steer and the stock tires make virtually zero noise when they are spinning... If you don't floor it even on a strait road until you are doing 35+ mph your tires will last 60,000 miles...

Keith
JMHO, but buying a set of tires every five years is the most cost-effective fun I have. The cost is antshite for enjoying the Bolt instant torque whenever and wherever appropriate.

jack vines

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
JMHO, but buying a set of tires every five years is the most cost-effective fun I have. The cost is antshite for enjoying the Bolt instant torque whenever and wherever appropriate.

jack vines
Generally speaking, replacing tires every 5-6 years is a good idea. Even without the mileage, the tires do age.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pulled up to a stoplight on the way to work today next to a gigantic Ram pickup. When the light turned green he floored it, so I decided to have some fun. Naturally I smoked him, and left him eating dust.

A couple of lights later he pulled up and rolled his window down, and said “Is that thing ELECTRIC!?” I said “Yep, sure is!”
Same exchange.
Except my reply was "No.
It's Nuclear, Bubba."

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt LT, Cajun Red (w/o fast charge)
9 Posts
Pulled up to a stoplight on the way to work today next to a gigantic Ram pickup. When the light turned green he floored it, so I decided to have some fun. Naturally I smoked him, and left him eating dust.

A couple of lights later he pulled up and rolled his window down, and said “Is that thing ELECTRIC!?” I said “Yep, sure is!”
Ah yes!
I have fed many a high-end ICE and pick-up truck the dust....and it doesn't take long to do!

·
Registered
49 Posts
My count so far 1 Charger, 2 Mustangs, 1 Camero, 1 Turboed WRX, Ford F 250 diesel. 0 for 5 against big sport bikes.

·
Registered
641 Posts
… the addition of the Whiteline rear sway bar does wonders. The Bolt already has a pretty good front/rear weight balance (for FWD) and a fairly low center-of-mass.
Definitely a fun car.
And replacing the rear shocks with Bilstein Street/Sport shocks also improves cornering controllability.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts