Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By default, on D mode, highway speeds Regen is 16kw.

This is a fairly significant slowdown and substantially robs the car of momentum.

Won't gm ever just reduce the amount of Regen? It seriously detracts from driving enjoyment.

·
Registered
440 Posts
By default, on D mode, highway speeds Regen is 16kw.

This is a fairly significant slowdown and substantially robs the car of momentum.

Won't gm ever just reduce the amount of Regen? It seriously detracts from driving enjoyment.
Seems to be a number of thoughts on how much regen is desirable. I never take our 2019 Bolt out of "L" and really like the full regen available. I've found that by modulating the accellorator pedal I have excellent control over the car. Wife likes "L" mode as well, so, go figure.

Rich

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not sure why you needed two threads...however...
IMNSHO, the whole beauty of these EV thingy's IS the regen one pedal driving. That and not paying for gas.
So sure, if you don't want to make use of it then you'll need to switch to N and use your old timey brakes.

·
Registered
440 Posts
This is essentially the same topic as your other one....

You have an EV....this is how they all work....so your only two options is to get used to it or go back to a dinocar.

The choice is yours to make.

·
Registered
230 Posts
So the OP has been here for 9 months. Don't know when he got his car of course. But with no replies, I'm wondering if his tongue was in his cheek making these posts.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
It adds to the driving enjoyment, especially in "L". Why aren't you driving in "L"?
If he thinks "D" has too much regen then he's really going to be unhappy with "L".

I dunno, I think it's an attitude thing. I drive in "L" all the time and despite the heavy regen it's capable of I have no problem cruising along at a constant speed with my foot lightly on the pedal. I guess I've just become attuned to it, without even thinking my foot just naturally presses harder if I want to go faster and less hard if I want to go slower. It's a very zen experience, almost like the car is responding directly to my will.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If he thinks "D" has too much regen then he's really going to be unhappy with "L".

I dunno, I think it's an attitude thing. I drive in "L" all the time and despite the heavy regen it's capable of I have no problem cruising along at a constant speed with my foot lightly on the pedal. I guess I've just become attuned to it, without even thinking my foot just naturally presses harder if I want to go faster and less hard if I want to go slower. It's a very zen experience, almost like the car is responding directly to my will.
You and the car have become as one, Grasshopper. Be the car.

·
Registered
592 Posts
All cars slow down when you take your foot off the accelerator. I've found quite a variation in ICE cars in that regard where some seem to coast forever while others slow down pretty quickly and there can be a wide variation depending on top gear ratio, transmission, AWD/RWD, engine size, etc. My Challenger would coast while my mom's Mercedes SUV would slow down pretty quickly. I drive in L now but when I first got my Bolt, I drove in D for a while and it seemed to coast about as well as the average ICE car: it seemed like GM calibrated it to shave off speed similarly to an ICE vehicle but maybe one of the ICE vehicles that had a little faster slow-down. 16 KW is about 20 HP which is about how much power is required to just keep you at those highway speeds in the first place. And in an ICE car, the amount of friction slowing you down could easily equate to that much: you are fighting drivetrain losses, turning the engine over (engine compression), and higher rolling resistance in an ICE vehicle and all that could easily amount to 16 KW. Since the Bolt doesn't have those frictional losses, it's simply emulating them while at the same time, reclaiming energy.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts