Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the Rightline Gear SUV Tent is listed as fitting the Bolt. Has anyone tried this type of out the back door tent on a Bolt or any other SUV? I remember thinking years ago that this would be great fun on a long trip. Now one could pull into a RV park, plug into a NEMA14-50 and use the car to heat/cool all night. I would not expect it to heat/cool the entire tent but should easily do the air mattress in the back of the car. I could come up with something to support the last two feet of the mattress. What do ya all think?

Rightline Gear SUV Tent with Rainfly - Waterproof - Sleeps 4
Item # RL110907

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
I would not expect it to heat/cool the entire tent but should easily do the air mattress in the back of the car.

Who needs a tent? I have laid on my side in our Bolt with the rear seats down, head to the rear, and my lower legs on the console armrest...very comfy. If the front headrests came off as easily as the rears, you could put the front seats down further, like in my folks old Ramblers. Then there is this.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Wow!

You could probably sub-let your Bolt in Silicon Valley for a couple of grand a month!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't think about putting the front seats forward. If it wasn't 10 degrees out I'd be pushing them down now. But where the daughter sleeps would still need to be addressed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow!

You could probably sub-let your Bolt in Silicon Valley for a couple of grand a month!
If I could get coffee to them in the morning that would be a business plan. $240 for the lease, $180 for coffee, $2K/ month income from the sub-let not bad margin.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,719 Posts
I see the Rightline Gear SUV Tent is listed as fitting the Bolt. Has anyone tried this type of out the back door tent on a Bolt or any other SUV? I remember thinking years ago that this would be great fun on a long trip. Now one could pull into a RV park, plug into a NEMA14-50 and use the car to heat/cool all night. I would not expect it to heat/cool the entire tent but should easily do the air mattress in the back of the car. I could come up with something to support the last two feet of the mattress. What do ya all think?

Rightline Gear SUV Tent with Rainfly - Waterproof - Sleeps 4
Item # RL110907
It was never intended to be used with the ICE (exhaust fumes) running all night, but a plugged in EV ... Take two cots for the tent floor and you don’t need to hang your feet out the back of the Bolt. This bears some serious thinking!

·
Registered
220 Posts
That's one of the problems with our ghetto camping mode, you can't be plugged in and simultaneously defeat the 2 hour shutdown timer that I know of. You can run climate control for 8+ hours in Neutral with the parking brake set, but as soon as that charge cord hits the port, it jumps into Park and the countdown begins!

Assuming it doesn't use too much juice to cool/heat the car and the tent, run the sound system, etc - you could just recover the necessary energy in the mornings before you trek out perhaps. Or, maybe 2 hours with a few manual restarts throughout the night will work ok for you as well with the car being plugged in.

I like the tent too, blending car and tent camping seems smart to me. Plus full standing height, that is awesome!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"That's one of the problems with our ghetto camping mode, you can't be plugged in and simultaneously defeat the 2 hour shutdown timer that I know of. You can run climate control for 8+ hours in Neutral with the parking brake set, but as soon as that charge cord hits the port, it jumps into Park and the countdown begins!"

Seems like a soft-ware fix waiting to happen. I wouldn't mind restarting the charge every two hours as that nearly coincides with natures call, the danger would be not knowing the charge has stoped and expecting to have a full battery in the morning.

In my scanning of the charger apps I see some RV parks but not as many as I would guess are out there. Could it be that the park owners are unaware of the potential revenue stream we could provide to the investment they already have? And the NEMA 14-50 seems to be the standard or are there exceptions one would need adapters for?

What is the list of must haves for a successful E-camping experience?

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
In my scanning of the charger apps I see some RV parks but not as many as I would guess are out there. Could it be that the park owners are unaware of the potential revenue stream we could provide to the investment they already have?
Yes. You need to check RV campground maps. They are everywhere. I would say well under 1% are aware of EVs. Most would be fine with you camping. But keep your techie/tree-hugger sympathies to yourself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"If the front headrests came off as easily as the rears, you could put the front seats down further, like in my folks old Ramblers. "

The owners manual on page 55 says the front seat head restraints are not removable.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
"If the front headrests came off as easily as the rears, you could put the front seats down further, like in my folks old Ramblers. "

The owners manual on page 55 says the front seat head restraints are not removable.
Exactly. You have to partly disassemble the seat to get the C-clips off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a similar tent that I used with a VW Jetta Sportwagen (sold back to VW and bought the Bolt with the money). It is roomy, easy to set up, and I was able to sleep in the back of the Jetta comfortably. I think it would set up on the Bolt, too, but I'd use a cot in the tent rather than try to sleep in the back of the Bolt. The tent, poles and rainfly would take up a lot of space in the car. We have a Thule cargo box (another gift from VW) that is perfect for storing camping gear.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

Manual I think only means regular removal as the Gen 2 Volt manual also doesn't mention how to remove the front head restraints. I have removed them in the Gen 2 Volt and am assuming they're the same on the Bolt since you can install a universal tablet holder on the Bolt front head restraints that slips over the two metal supports.

Please see this post on gm-volt forums for details on removing the headrest on a Gen 1 Volt (also applies to Gen 2 Volt): http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?212010-How-to-Remove-Front-Headrest&p=106712#post106712

Also, video of the procedure on Gen 1 Volt (also applies to Gen 2 Volt):

You can look yourself next time in your Bolt to confirm if it's the same mechanism.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.