Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Atlantic provinces info?

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Charles Cloutier 
#1 ·
Hi,
Every weekend I drive back home from Greenwood Nova Scotia to Fredericton New-Brunswick. I leave on friday afternoon and return on Sunday night (life of a soldier!). The total distance is 563 km (350 miles). There are DC 400 volts chargers every 65 km on the way thanks to NB power so with a car that has 383 km of range it is finally possible for me to commute that distance on electric. I currently drive a Dodge Charger rt with a 5.7 Hemi so it costs me 160 bucks/weekend to go home. I figured the gas savings would cover the price of the Bolt.

I was wondering if anyone has information on where I could order a new Bolt in either New Brunswick or Nova Scotia. I contacted Chevy dealers in Woodstock, St John, Fredericton, Halifax, Truro and Moncton and I have been told that they are not qualified Bolt dealers. I don't understand what qualification they require, **** Clarck Chevy in Fredericton is the oldest dealer in Canada, you would think they would be qualified to sell cars!

I know I could probably buy one in Quebec but I would have to pay the QST on purchase and then the HST when I register it in NB (Plus an out of province inspection). The entry price is already high enough without province Incentives so that is my last option.

I understand that I am probably SOL since NB and NS are stuck 25 years in the past but who knows, maybe someone knows a dealer that will sell me a car out east.

See less See more
#2 ·
I know I could probably buy one in Quebec but I would have to pay the QST on purchase and then the HST when I register it in NB
Have you actually talked to a Quebec dealer? I'd pick one and send an email asking about your situation. There are often ways to avoid paying the tax in one jurisdiction if you're taking delivery in another - so it may be possible to do something like have them sell you one and truck it to your home without having to pay the Quebec tax.

#7 ·
You might not even need to ship it - apparently there is a way to get a 3 day permit or something without registering it. Drive it to the province of register and pay the fees etc. for that province. I was looking into details for doing a similar type of thing between Quebec and Ontario (want the ON incentives too, which I would apparently still qualify for).

#4 ·
2 things to consider.
1) make sure to get the Premier with the DC fast charging, you will need it and it can not be added later.

2) Make sure that someone can SERVICE it close to you or close to where you work ? This can be an issue.

I just gave up my Mitsubishi i-MiEV and this was one factor. No 'good' service dealer with in driving distance.

GL, you will love the BOLT

#11 ·
Hi Charles, hello from Boston to the far South. You will love the Bolt. The bad news it is not a Charger with a hemi, the good news it is not a Charger with a hemi. Sounds like you will be able to get a Bolt without the different Province issues/ tax.

Could you say a word about the NB 400 V charging system?? This is awesome! Here in the Paleolithic US no one is setting up EV Level 3 charging on the major highways except for Tesla on the scale you suggest is being done in NB. I would do a tourist tour of NB or NS in my Bolt in an instant if there was available Level 3 supercharging. Honestly this is a draw for tourism.

many thanks Thor'sBolt

#12 ·
Could you say a word about the NB 400 V charging system?? This is awesome! Here in the Paleolithic US no one is setting up EV Level 3 charging on the major highways except for Tesla on the scale you suggest is being done in NB. I would do a tourist tour of NB or NS in my Bolt in an instant if there was available Level 3 supercharging. Honestly this is a draw for tourism.
New Brunswick arranged for DC fast charging stations to be installed at truck stops evenly spaced along the Trans-Canada Highway. They were activated in July and August this year. Nova Scotia has made a similar announcement, targeting next spring.

My wife and I drove our Bolt from Boston to eastern Nova Scotia and got back last weekend. We took two days in each direction, charging overnight at hotels in western New Brunswick. We were able to use a Flo network fast charger in Aulac, NB and EVgo chargers in Portland and Augusta, ME for the driving days.

The Irving Big Stop in Aulac was probably the nicest truck stop I've ever been to. Very clean, friendly, with a nice diner and large convenience store. The electric charger was on the edge of the property where nobody'd ICE the parking spaces, and there was a picnic table right by it. One of the groundskeepers came by to ask about the car and talk up sightseeing on the Bay of Fundy close at hand.

In Nova Scotia we got to use a level 2 charger at the local library near where we were staying, and took driving days along the coastline, to Cape Breton, and to Halifax. The one fast charger in Halifax was very helpful and we opportunity charged in a few other locations. We used Apple Maps for navigation and Plugshare for finding chargers, using the 3GB data trial with the OnStar hotspot to avoid Canadian roaming chargers.

We had a wonderful time, and I'd highly recommend the trip.

#13 ·
I pulled the trigger today. 6 to 10 weeks wait. I found a dealer with an allocation left in Quebec city. Every other dealer I talk to was telling me 8 months wait.

All the big stops are pretty nice. The one in Salisbury is by far the busiest, but still ok.

Inductance, How long did it take you to charge in Aulac on your way to fredericton? Did you have the heat or ac on and the radio?
Since I will be doing the trip every friday and sunday, I would like to know how late I will leave on sundays!

I was thinking about splitting the trip in thirds since the battery charges faster when low. so Greenwood- Aulac (until Ns power installs their chargers)299 km Aulac - young coves 149 km and then young coves home for 100 km.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.