Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK. I figure InsideEVs will drop the Bolt sales estimate tomorrow. They have covered all the others of any significant interest, and they don't want to wait to do it over the weekend, when people may be doing other things besides staring at screens.

My totally unscientific guess, based on a seeming bunch of new forum members with newly purchased Bolts, is that August sales could be back up to the 2K car range.

Sadly, the last non-Tesla to reach 3K sales in a month was the Bolt, in December of 2017. The Chevy Volt hit 3K sales, for the second and last time, in December of 2016. The Leaf hit the magic 3K mark in July, August, and December of 2014. The, now extinct, Chevy Volt was the first plugin, of any make, to break into 3K sales, in August of 2013.

Tesla didn't hit 3K sales until December of 2014. They did it again in December of 2015. Every year since then, they have left every other make, even new models, in the dust.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If only there were some stats from Canada. The federal government came out with a pos rebate starting this past May. Some provinces have pos rebates. One province that I know of has an annual alotment of scrap car -> EV purchase incentives. I'm in BC and I took advantage of all 3 and ended up getting $16K off the purchase price.
I would suspect that this past summer saw a jump in sales in Canada.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Anyone notice that worldwide sales are half of 2018 sales... and we're in September already? At this rate we're on track for 3/4 of last years world sales of EVs, which is a bit concerning considering many are expecting an explosion of EV adoption.

The 2nd highest sold plug-in vehicle in the US is the Prime, which is a hybrid. I bet if there were a plug-in crossover or even hatchback, it would sell in even greater numbers. There's untapped potential in the plug-in hybrid market.

Considering the current state of battery tech and charging infrastructure, plug-in hybrids probably make more sense to the larger automotive public.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Not sure that's the right conclusion. If Chevy had announced increased range late 2018, the 2019 sales would have tanked all year. In my case, if not trying to get the 2019 on 'clearance' price, I would have waited for 2020/2021 when so many exciting new models would become available.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Chevy tacking on an extra $1k incentives this month (on top of an already crazy $5.5k) seems to indicate sales are...not good. With the extended range announced on 2020s and the quarter ending in 3 weeks, I'd guess a LOT of people will be getting sweet deals on 2019s.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This August will be well below last August sales for the US. If the Bolt doesn't sell over 1000, we will come in below July's total.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I noticed the $6,500 in Chevrolet incentives for September as well. Plus the $3,750 federal rebate expiring this month makes it a good month for anyone waiting to grab a bargain. Next years new EV's, while exciting, will be much more expensive possibly.

and dealers are willing to reduce the above Chevrolet rebate by discounts up to $5,500 themselves too I noticed if you negotiate. (just look at Donohoo Chevy in Alabama and their prices without haggling or BS rebates last month were $11k off msrp; and there are others I've seen online in various markets; so they can do it and still make money; there are obviously hidden kick backs out there from Chevy in certain markets).
Some states still have their tax incentives too for those lucky enough to love there.

Seems a good time to grab one if you've been waiting to purchase a Bolt.
It's too bad they arent being pushed more by Chevy, but that's the way it is as we transition to a whole new paradigm in the auto industry. People will eventually learn how great these cars are. Or not...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought my 2019 Bolt EV LT near the end August (About 2 weeks ago), in Valencia CA, with about $11k off the MSRP including the $6500 Chevy Rebate and a very generous dealer cash offer.. So almost no haggling.. Now with $3750 Federal Rebate going away this month.. Should be a great time to get one

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Could you sight a source? Looking around, just now, I come up with this.

Do you have results for August? Probably slowing sales, but still ahead each month, through July.
Same source as every month, the Inside EVs sales scorecard. It shows YTD sales around 1.1M, and last year total sales were 2M.

https://insideevs.com/news/368729/ev-sales-scorecard-august-2019/

US sales in July were down from the year prior, and sales for August are massively down from 1 year ago. This does not bode well, though most manufacturers still have their federal credit and have pledged to offer EVs. Maybe we'll all be buying Fords a couple years from now.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Same source as every month, the Inside EVs sales scorecard. It shows YTD sales around 1.1M, and last year total sales were 2M.
You are looking at global sales through July, which is still more than 50% of 2018's total. I too suspect global EV sales will be down for the year, because the car market in general is moving down. It will be more instructive to see which way the plugin percent of total market share moves.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sales in July were down from the year prior, and sales for August are massively down from 1 year ago.
As your own source clearly shows, sales globally were up massively in each of the first six months of 2019. Don't confuse US sales with global sales.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Assuming an even monthly sales volume, worldwide plugin sales is on track for ~1.7M, or 85% of the sales last year. I didn't know vehicle sales were down for the year, but is it down 15% from last year?

I'm not really concerned about a down year, as I expect plugin sales to increase in the long run.

...and yeah, I switched tracks there without properly signaling. I was talking about US sales in the 2nd paragraph. My point being that both US and global sales are looking down for the year unless big sales close us out. The US is on track for 300k this year compared to 361k last year, which follows the global trend of being down 15%.

EDIT: looks like Edmunds predicts US auto sales down 2% for the year.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Worldwide sales are down. In the US, total sales are up 0.1% for the first seven months. But a closer look shows cars sales down 8.0%, while SUV and truck sales are up 4.0%. The only electric vehicle in that segment, so far, is the Model X starting at $84,990.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since China is the worlds biggest auto market, I am going to guess that, even with reduced incentives, EVs will continue to increase their market share globally.

The US is in a unique position. My neighbors will be driving up and down our road in their pickups, and SUVs, on fuel made from fracked oil, pumped out of the ground at a lose to investors (future tax payer debt) until the asphalt melts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a new Bolt on Labor Day Sept 2, 2019 with the August incentive of $5500. Since the September incentive is $6500, can I go back to the dealer and ask to get the extra $1000 since my purchase date was actually in September? Just wondering.

·
Registered
58 Posts
no, because i think technically the August Rebate went through 9/3 and the September one kicked in 9/4. They basically extended the August rebate through labor day weekend before starting the new one.

Edit: from edmunds

Customer $ OfferStartEnd
$4,500 Customer Bonus Cash for Retail 09/04/201909/30/2019

Customer $ OfferStartEnd
$2,000 Customer Cash for Retail 09/04/201909/30/2019

1 - 20 of 34 Posts