Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
If the gov rebate for Bolt is gone, next year I would try a Leaf if the range was there. Nissan gives huge rebates if I bring a bill from my local utility.
It 2017 it was 10k off ! link
In 2018 it was less and in 2019 looks like 5k link . Not bad!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I noticed the $6,500 in Chevrolet incentives for September as well. Plus the $3,750 federal rebate expiring this month makes it a good month for anyone waiting to grab a bargain.
Now with $3750 Federal Rebate going away this month..
It's a $3750 Federal tax credit, not a rebate. Also, to be more clear, it is not "going away" this month.

It is being reduced in 1/2 again to $1875 beginning 10/1/19.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
IMHO: There were a specific number (including me in 2107) of EV "early adopters" (the next group after "innovators") who have bought EVs. Most of us did need much "push" OR incentives. Some of that early group did need $$ incentive, which for the Bolt is nearing its end. The limit of those "early adopters" may have been reached and is now becoming noticeable. As EV advocates, it is not our "responsibility" to push EV sales. It is the manufacturer's job to do that. (And we all know what "wonderful" {n.b. sarcasm} marketing job they have done!) Those of us who utilize DCFC may have an incentive to want more EVSE but not more EVs! EVs must (and I do predict they will) make economic sense. If potential buyers do not see that purchase costing far less than an ICEV purchase, they are not jumping into an EV. It is as simple as that. I will never regret my EV purchase. The fact that others are not jumping on the bandwagon does not make my purchase (without ANY local incentives) less justifiable!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Chevy creates these generous offers to compensate for the loss in Fed Tax Credit. I guess after Oct, we will be seeing about $10K in incentives as the norm.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Bolt EV sales in Korea is terrible this year so far. Only 212 units were sold last month, bringing the yearly total to 2,184. In contrast, 4,625 Bolts were sold in the same timespan last year (i.e. Jan-Aug). At this rate, I'm not even sure if it could meet last year's volume, let alone this year's 7,000 unit allotment.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Bolt EV sales in Korea is terrible this year so far. Only 212 units were sold last month, bringing the yearly total to 2,184. In contrast, 4,625 Bolts were sold in the same timespan last year (i.e. Jan-Aug). At this rate, I'm not even sure if it could meet last year's volume, let alone this year's 7,000 unit allotment.
Wesley, has the Tesla Model 3 started deliveries in Korea yet?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I looked at the spreadsheet and copied forward the Jul sales to see what happens if the sales of those remain the same... it would be 27,443 for Aug 2019 vs 36,347 in Aug 2018. YTD totals would be 203,607 for 2019 and then 190,201 for same time in 2018. So still looks like an increase, will have to see how the rest of the year goes.

Remember, though, that car makers are banking on selling the EVs to meet their credit, so looks like bigger discounts will becoming later this year and demand will increase... if not from consumers, then definitely businesses for the longer range EVs that are more appropriate for business vehicles that go many places during the day and can get fully recharged overnight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I leased a 2017 Bolt Premier for my wife in Sep '17 (36 months, $395 a month including all taxes, zero down). We have 12 months left on this lease, and my wife has LOVED the car so far. I see some pretty crazy deals right now to purchase a 2019 Bolt, and am tempted to just buy one outright this month, even though our other one doesn't go back for a year. I realize this makes little sense, other than the fact that I know my wife would be happy driving a Bolt for many years to come, and at the current prices, we could easily afford to just buy one outright.

I've been working with my local dealers who still have a few Bolt Premiers in stock, and I find that after all rebates and price reductions, I can purchase a new 2019 Premier for right at $28k cash (MSRP of $44k). With the $3,750 tax credit, that would make the car cost just over $24k -- or around $20k off sticker price. This to me is an insanely good deal.

So for those "in the know" about the future of EVs, am I missing something here? Are these deals likely to still be available next September when our current Bolt is due to go back? I really don't need a second Bolt for any reason right now, and the only reason to do this is if these are 1-time deals unlikely to be repeated next year...

I'm interested in thoughts from this forum on this situation. Also, I would happily consider sub-leasing my 2017 Bolt at a big discount to anyone who wants to try one for 12 months... Not sure the best way to do this though.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I do think this is a 1-time deal. Chevy isn't going to further reduce the price of the Bolt by the amount of the federal tax credit. We've got 'till the end of this month to take delivery of a Bolt, otherwise I don't see it being worthwhile to purchase one. Nissan still has the full $7,500 credit available as well as all other manufacturers besides Tesla.

Once the credits phase out, new sales will slow to a crawl and existing EVs will hold value well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just got my $1500 rebate check from PA for my Bolt purchased in July. Plus another $50 check from PECO Energy. Peco, by the way, said there are no special off hours electricity rates. So I get a $3750 Federal tax credit in my '19 return. A nice total of $5300. in rebates and tax credits. Coupled with the GM/dealer July discounts, the Bolt cost me less than the deal the local Toyota dealer wanted to give me in trade for my '13 Prius towards a base model new one. I call that a good deal.

As for EV car sales, I think there's a slowdown in the car industry, maybe due to Trump's China tariffs. Very meaningful for car companies invested in China--especially GM and BMW. I figure those tariffs will go the same way the Canada and Mexico tariffs went--nowhere. Just a lot of bluster. EV cars here are about where gas hybrids were 10 years ago. They will grow pretty quickly after 2020.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
18 Participants
sun
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing