Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks! Bought a car from Mayse in MO. Picking up on May 10. Need some help from locals; or those that are familiar w/ the area. Looks like it's going to be route 44 to 70. Suggestions please along the way:

1. Pick n Pull/junkyard. Need scissor jack, spare wheel, etc.
2. Good barbecue place. We prefer places that locals like. As opposed to restaurants/stands that got a lot of buzz because of social media - and now all the tourists line up there. Bonus points if there are charging nearby and not too far off from the hiway. Or any other good restaurants or food stands/truck that we shouldn't miss.
3. Caverns. Bonus points if there are charging nearby and not too far off from the hiway.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

·
Registered
2017 Premier, Arctic Blue - Oct 2020
98 Posts
Lol, awesome priorities. BBQ!

Have a good drive, and adventure.

I called that same dealer after your posting, they had sold pretty much all of their inventory.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Before you leave any Electrify America station check to make sure the next one you plan on going to is working. Ask me how I know to do that...

Rich

·
Registered
351 Posts
Only thing I could suggest is increasing times at PA state chargers there will be a lot of hills and last charging before destination becausemore likely you may hit heavy traffic once you heat East coast..for the rest of great places and charging I'm not very familiar with.
I wish you good luck and enjoy your time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, awesome priorities. BBQ!

Have a good drive, and adventure.

I called that same dealer after your posting, they had sold pretty much all of their inventory.
It's easy to find good Korean or Brazilian BBQ around here. American style; not too much.
We have to settle for chain restaurants(Applebee's, Daisy May); or even Costco ready to eat ribs! :D
In the two weeks I was closing the deal w/ Mayse - watched as their Bolt stock went from 10 to 0.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you new to the Bolt?
If so, turn the auto defog setting off
Practice locally on an EA charger before you leave.
This will be our 2nd Bolt. 1st was purchased was a 2017 bought used in Oct 2020. GM bought that car back 2 weeks ago. We usually charge at free L2 stations(Volta, Chargepoint, etc.). But I did practice one time w/ a EA DCFC one time to check that our DCFC was working and just get a feel for it. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only thing I could suggest is increasing times at PA state chargers there will be a lot of hills and last charging before destination becausemore likely you may hit heavy traffic once you heat East coast..for the rest of great places and charging I'm not very familiar with.
I wish you good luck and enjoy your time.
We're off from work for a week. So we can take our time. Stopping at new(Lambert's Cafe, etc) and old(Cracker Barrel, etc) places to eat, parks and other sites(Meramec Caverns, etc). :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
We used to live a couple hours SE of there in Arkansas. There are two places that you may want to check out. Sadly both are not really on the way.
1. Big Spring MO. It is a beautiful spring that comes straight out of the ground and instantly forms a crystal blue river. Many spring fed rivers/creeks in the area can be muddy but this one is really clear and is one of the few places in the whole country that looks as pretty in person as it does on the postcard(showing my age). Its only 18 miles SE from the dealership, so its not ON the way, but not far out of the way. Not touristy at all. The water tastes like heaven, but nowadays they always say to use a filter on any river water anywhere in the country. Lots of little caves in the area.
2. This is a little more out of the way, 52 miles due south. Eureka Springs AR. This is more touristy but not crazy. More of a place with old Victorian houses/buildings, lots of little specialty shops, huge Christus. May be a little harder to find local style food in this town, its a little fancier. Not to be sexist but the ladies comes from miles around and rave about it.

The whole are is beautiful and the people are friendly...so nothing like NYC...in fact I don't know how you'll make yourself go back home...haha

Regarding BBQ(and catfish/hush puppies if you like them): I don't know a specific place in that area, but the general rule in MO and AR is if it looks like a pole barn, or worse, then the food will almost certainly be amazing. The area is more famous for their Memphis dry rub ribs, but sauce will also be available. In between BBQ meals, also know that almost everywhere has great fried chicken too...even the gas stations(which you'll stop at to clean the bugs off your windshield)

Have fun. Wish we were going there with you! We really miss the area.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions @E-nigma! Will check out Big Spring.

I do like catfish and hush puppies. Was going over the menu of Lambert's Cafe. My wife will probably get the a pulled pork sandwich. I'm deciding to get the catfish or frog's legs. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far folks! Keep 'em coming. In June; my sis in law's sis is leaving New Jersey for southern Cali. Her family is flying; moving company will transport furnitures/appliances. Guess who volunteered to drive their ICE suv across the US?
🙂

·
Registered
422 Posts
Perhaps a bit too far out of the way, but Ohio Caverns is about 30 miles north of I-70 after the Huber Heights stop and has free EV charging in their parking lot.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Perhaps a bit too far out of the way, but Ohio Caverns is about 30 miles north of I-70 after the Huber Heights stop and has free EV charging in their parking lot.
Thanks for that info. We were planning on visiting Meramec Caverns. But Ohio Caverns seems to be just as interesting. And they have both a J1772 and Tesla plugs. I ordered a Tesla adaptor just for this trip. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions @E-nigma! Will check out Big Spring.

I do like catfish and hush puppies. Was going over the menu of Lambert's Cafe. My wife will probably get the a pulled pork sandwich. I'm deciding to get the catfish or frog's legs. :)
Catch a few hot rolls? Also the sides they bring around are usually good southern classics. I wouldn't say their bbq or catfish is as good as the little mom and pop places, but Lamberts is fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts