Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a brief comment (of praise) to note how much I like the auto-dimming feature for the high beams. It is very precise (accurate) and quick to dim, and to "re-brighten", which makes it a joy to use. Having had my last (ICE) car for 8 years, I realize that this feature may be neither new NOR unique to an EV, or to Chevy. Just thought I'd spread the smiles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The BoltEV is the first car I've owned with this feature and I agree it works VERY well. I'm amazed that it can detect cars (both approaching and that you are following) and it rarely considers street lights, etc. as cars.

·
Registered
624 Posts
my experience has been that it works pretty well on the freeway or away from town, but i accidentally flashed a few oncoming cars when it turned on the highs at the wrong time. it's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have greatly enjoyed this feature as well. Dims the highs in almost all cases faster than I ever could. The only time I know I could beat it curves, in many cases I can see there is an approaching car before it is visible to the camera since it is looking for headlights/tail lights. Even in those cases though it is really fast to dim them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
;)Very nice feature. Never had a car that had it. I remember luxury cars from the fifties and sixties that had headlight dimming.

Reactions: surgeonFWW

·
Registered
314 Posts
We used this recently on another vehicle. In a heavy snowstorm, it views the reflected light from snowflakes as being enough to not allow high beams. Yes, one usually does not want high beams in such a situation. But one wants the right to choose. Probably the BOLT algorithm is similar, but we do not know. So, yes, the algorithms are pretty good, but perhaps not perfect in simulating what a human driver would do.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hopefully a quick answer but I have not been able to get it to "work"

I know I have it with the Premier according to my build sheet

I don't see the "A" and I keep having to do the high/low beam manually. Looked in the manual and it should be automatic (I am on Auto mode for the light switch)

·
Registered
61 Posts

I don't see the "A" and I keep having to do the high/low beam manually. Looked in the manual and it should be automatic (I am on Auto mode for the light switch)
There is a toggle button on the turn-signal arm. It was hiding from me at first as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts

push the button on the stalk that has that symbol.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts

The rotary light switch on the lower left section of the dashboard (the one that has the "Off", "Auto", "Parking lights" and "Headlights" positions) is not the switch that controls the auto-dimming headlights. That switch is on the left stalk coming out of the steering column - it's the little button with the headlamp symbol and an "A" on it.

The "Auto" position of the rotary dashboard switch simply tells the car to turn on the headlights when it gets dark out. I find that to be a nice feature, too.

Also note that the auto-dimming headlights only work when you're driving faster than about 40 km/h (25 MPH).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yikes! I didn't know I had this. I know, RTFM. Had I done so, I'd have found IntelliBeam. Thanks for the thread!

Attachments

Reactions: surgeonFWW

·
Registered
149 Posts
The Bolt's auto-dimming works better than my Tesla which was overly sensitive - it would go on low beam way too frequently, even with reflections off large road signs.

I do wish the Bolt's worked under 25 MPH as I'm in a rural area and like have the brights on back roads or the lane to my house to keep an eye out for deer and other vermin

·
Registered
739 Posts
Which automatic button is it?

There are two "automatic" buttons, confusingly, so I bet you are using the one on the LHS of the Dash just below the steering wheel. This is the one that turns on the headlights automatically according to whether or not it is dark outside. The one for automatic dimming, which is a different function, is on the stick that controls the turn signals etc. Its looks like a headlight with an "A" beside it. When you press this button you will see the same symbol come up on the screen in front of the steering wheel. Then you have automatic dimming.....

·
Registered
135 Posts
There are two "automatic" buttons, confusingly, so I bet you are using the one on the LHS of the Dash just below the steering wheel. This is the one that turns on the headlights automatically according to whether or not it is dark outside. The one for automatic dimming, which is a different function, is on the stick that controls the turn signals etc. Its looks like a headlight with an "A" beside it. When you press this button you will see the same symbol come up on the screen in front of the steering wheel. Then you have automatic dimming.....
Did you not see the page from the OM I posted here?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yikes! I didn't know I had this. I know, RTFM. Had I done so, I'd have found IntelliBeam. Thanks for the thread!
Oops! When I got in our Bolt (Premier) today, I found that I don't actually have an IntelliBeam switch. Go figure!

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Oops! When I got in our Bolt (Premier) today, I found that I don't actually have an IntelliBeam switch. Go figure!
You have to have Driver Confidence Package II to get Intellibeam.

Reactions: drrjv

·
Registered
135 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts