Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite aftermarket accessory is the Auto Ventshade, made by Lund International. I've been using them on all my vehicles for nearly 30 years. They help lower the temperature of my car by letting me leave my windows lowered a half inch or so without concern if it starts raining. I have become spoiled by this product.

They don't make one (at least, yet) for the Bolt. I know this, because after I looked for one on their website, I emailed them. I don't know how much good one person can do, but if you'd like a set too, feel free to let them know. Here's the email address that I contacted, and I actually received a reply telling me they don't currently make one for the Bolt shortly thereafter: [email protected]

I find that when I slightly open the windows, in combination with a good sunshade, it makes getting into the car on a sun shiny day far more comfortable. I was spoiled by the autoheatshield sunshade brand on my Prius and will have one of those in the near future for the Bolt. The biggest plus of the auto heatshield was its fit. The biggest negative was also its fit. I know that sounds contradictory, but when the fit is near perfect you don't just throw it in place and snatch it down, you have to install it and remove it. This doesn't take long unless you are comparing it to one of those fits-almost-anything sunshades.

As a disclaimer, I do not have any financial interest in either of these companies. I've just received what I consider a quality product at a reasonable price. That's why our Prius and Silverado had both of these products on them. Our, we-bought-it-new '90 Buick Century still has its original set of ventshades in good condition. We've had numerous others cars over the years and all except the Miata wore a set.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Do these affect aero very much even with the windows closed? I'd expect the pocket of air under the deflector would affect aero. Maybe not as much as having your windows open halfway or more, but there's gotta be some aero detriment.

I'm ignorant to these deflectors and wonder how they compare to just running the fans with no HVAC for defogging purposes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
These window vents are great if you want to not use air conditioning. Very popular in humid countries where cars don’t have ac. We found opening windows was a great way last summer to keep our Bolt comfortable, much better than running the fan.

·
Registered
176 Posts
In my experience, they fit well and allow the user to partially open the window on a hot day or protect rain from entering the car.
However, there is additional air turbulence and slight sound increase when traveling at highway speed.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The weather tech ones that go inside the channel that I installed on my 2012 Volt completely got rid of the air turbulence hammering that owners complained about on the gen 1. I have also used them on my last 7 vehicles and can't wait to get them for the Bolt. I have sent 2 requests to weather tech about 6 months apart with just the auto response email back from them.

Reactions: quirkySquirt

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have reached out to AVS / Lund and weathertech .
Also noted that the EV community was especially interested as this can help reduce their battery draw by using less AC.
Really want some of these and have had great results with them in the past.

Lets all keep each other posted .

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also reached out to Weathertech and Lund. Ditto on need for these w/ EVs. Surprised they are not yet available, to be honest. I bought these for the e-Golf (same body as the GTI) and used them with measurable benefit versus w/o.

Cheers,
Tim

·
Registered
315 Posts
When I had bought mostly coups I used vent shades, I loved the stainless steel shades.

Back when air conditioning was rare, everyone had these, when your car was parked it got blazing hot inside closed up all day.

I miss having them on cars I own today.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,719 Posts
My guess is that you can adjust them to minimize the noise, and that the aerodynamic "cost" in range is outweighed by the reduced need to use air conditioning. Seems like a no-brainer. I, too, will hawk Lund and Weathertech.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I called weathertech today and told them the 2017's & the 2018's are identical as well as the Ampera E in both years also, she said the more people that request them the more likely it is to happen. I asked her if they were still made in germany and she confirmed that also. I gave her my phone # so she could investigate and call me back. Fingers crossed that they see the value in making them for the Bolt. I was thinking about telling her of the rumor about no real changes till 2025 but I did not.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Y'all convinced me. I sent my requests to both companies.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Boy am I ashamed!! Somebody suggested that I should start a thread on this very same subject months ago but I never did! I sent in a request to Weathertech back in September of last year. I'll send one to the Lund too. Mr. Chapmon, you rock!

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,521 Posts
Does the "auto-up" function on power windows operate based on a position sensor or motor stall?

·
Registered
105 Posts
^^^ I am fairly sure it is motor stall . I looked at a wiring diagram and didn't see a window position sensor.
The motor also has a rapid succession shut off. If you try to get just a crack open and go up down up down ... it will lock out that switch for a bit.

·
Registered
315 Posts
^^^ I am fairly sure it is motor stall . I looked at a wiring diagram and didn't see a window position sensor.
The motor also has a rapid succession shut off. If you try to get just a crack open and go up down up down ... it will lock out that switch for a bit.

I think the lock out is mainly aimed toward small children playing with the windows, if they stop working they will stop playing with the switches.

That is until the little ones figure out if they wait a bit they will start working again.

·
Registered
676 Posts
On my Honda Element years ago, the instructions to reset the window position sensor was to run the window up three times in a row. First two it would reverse, the 3rd would stay up. Maybe the Bolt will work the same way?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does the "auto-up" function on power windows operate based on a position sensor or motor stall?
Greg, what I am compelled to point out is the basic Lund version is a tape adhesive install on the face of the door frame. They show 2 types on their website. I've no experience with the low profile version. I have the Weathertech, inside the window track version on my old Buick, and really prefer the ones that go on the outside. Every other set I've owned, including our '04 Silverado were/are on the face of the door frame.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.