Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Waldorf is within my range, might need to find a charge to get home though depending on home much the autocross takes out;). If you care to go head-to-head with another EV let us know when the next event is.

My one question: Were you in D or L, did you use regen braking, hydraulics or a combination?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Congratulations on going out and having a good time getting to know your car! How do you feel the car handled for you?

I've done AutoX for a number of years and I've had thoughts about taking my Bolt out to see who I can beat but I'm not going to bother until I can get a spare set of wheels with some stickier rubber. Maybe next season. I've tried to push the chassis on empty on-ramps etc. but I haven't been able to get a good read on what it's doing. From what I can tell, within the realm of normal but adhesive driving the car will use it's stability control systems to brake wheels individually and help the car to do what you've asked it, but push it too hard and it just plows as you'd expect from most modern non-performance oriented cars (tuned for safety - no oversteer). Will need t up get on the track though to really figure out the cars nature. Those brakes are gonna be weird though!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Great review, particularly this part:
When I went through tech inspection, one of the inspectors popped the hood, stared at the Bolt's "engine" bay for a few seconds, then went "I have no idea what I'm looking at!". Since nothing was loose that he could see, he passed the Bolt with a shrug of the shoulders.
Good to hear that you had fun, though I do wonder if autocross damages your tires?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
You'll definitely see more wear than usual day to day commuting but all depending how hard you go, wear would vary.

It turned out I placed 114/118 cars that ran that day.
The main thing is you weren't last, and being your first event, that isn't too bad at all! Just motivation to get out there and get better and better ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So with stock (LRR to boot) tires, along with being FWD, the Bolt plowed in the turns. I basically needed to slow down approaching the turn, then accelerate out, or else the Bolt would just plow if I tried to turn in while accelerating. I think that's just a fact of life with a FWD car in autocross. And especially with the Bolt and its rather hefty weight. Putting on actual performance tires would help a TON.

For the entire run, I was probably only WOT 4 times for a total of about 4 seconds, and my max speed turned out to be 46 mph, so I was not able to take advantage of the Bolt's 0-60 times as much as you'd think. If I had made the last 2 runs, I'm pretty sure I could have gotten my time down in the sub-50's. Looking back at the video, I know I easily gave up a second in the slalom area for sure.

I turned off T/C, but I'm curious if turning off Stablitrak too would have helped any.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I also took my Bolt EV for some Autocrossing with our BMW CCA friends.

They build a giant AutoX track on the Stadium parking lot, this was a very well run and super fun event. There was a little rain, but nothing major. Same observations as the other guys, car understeer, but is quite neutral and easy to toss, but it is faster not to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts