Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a premier with this feature and it is in fact enabled when I checked settings.

I get the red dots flashing, but the car does not brake itself. I drive mostly in D mode. What is going on? Does this feature only work in L mode???

·
Registered
624 Posts
it may detect that you're slowing enough to not need to apply the brakes. i get the warning fairly often, even when i'm already slowing enough to avoid a crash, but i don't think the brake has ever kicked in. not sure how to test it honestly, because i don't want to crash my car if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is not a Mercedes. It does not guarantee it will avoid an accident, only that it will warn you and help to slow the car down. If you are distracted and accelerating, the Bolt will "pump the brakes" to get your attention.

·
Registered
392 Posts
it may detect that you're slowing enough to not need to apply the brakes. i get the warning fairly often, even when i'm already slowing enough to avoid a crash, but i don't think the brake has ever kicked in. not sure how to test it honestly, because i don't want to crash my car if it doesn't work.
Hah i'm thinking the very same thing, how do you know it works. I have gotten pretty close to cars mind you i'm braking at the time. I too wonder how do you test it? What if your wrong. Ouch.:confused:

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Have you actually kept your foot off the brake pedal?

The flashing and the beeping warn you that the automatic brake system is about to engage - but if you hit the brakes yourself then it won't activate. If you really want to test the system, you'll have to be very brave and keep your foot off the pedal. I can't really say that I recommend doing that, though...

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Can't you test by driving at a cardboard box or string a bed sheet in front?
Would need to create a silhouette of a car, complete with red tail/brake lights.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is not a Mercedes. It does not guarantee it will avoid an accident, only that it will warn you and help to slow the car down. If you are distracted and accelerating, the Bolt will "pump the brakes" to get your attention.
How would a Mercedes behave any better or differently?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
How would a Mercedes behave any better or differently?
I find it hard MB would guarantee it's braking system will avoid an accident.

Would need to create a silhouette of a car, complete with red tail/brake lights.
You might be able to test with a thin, light, slick, clean object to avoid damage and scratches to your clear coat. The NCAP (europe) crash tests have thin dummies (fast foward to 2:10):
Perhaps a swim noodle suspended from a tree branch overhanging a residential street?

Reactions: borkbork

·
Registered
503 Posts
I’m impressed with the AEB in that video. Too bad the LT doesn’t have it. Ultimately, all cars should and likely will have it.
Just like backup cameras and ABS (although ABS isn’t the great savior they made it out to be with inattentive drivers).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts