Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Could use a sanity check-- I've configured my 2020 Bolt to automatically lock the doors and chirp the horn when I walk away from the car.

When I approach the car, though, I have to press the handle button to actually unlock the car, and I was under the impression that unlock was supposed to happen automatically as well.

Anybody know if it's possible (and if so, how) to have the Bolt unlock the car based on keyfob proximity?

Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just did a bit of Googling, and if I'm reading this correctly, Passive Unlock enabled means you can use the handle buttons if the keyfob is nearby, but disabled means you have to actually use the fob (presumably to limit unlocking to the person who actually possesses it).

Seems kinda dumb, IMHO. Nothing "passive" about having to press a button to make something happen. Seems like if there's value in having the car lock without having to take action, there's value in the reverse.

Probably not offered for legal/security reasons, so that the door can't be unlocked without explicit action.

Then again, Tesla has it... (just sayin')

·
Registered
6 Posts
My old Mazda 3 had this functionality too. Oh well. This is my first domestic car and feels the most unfinished. Overall I’m really enjoying it, but it still feels as though no one at Chevy took a final walkthrough with the functionality.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
You have to push the button on the door handle. Don't even think Keypass will do that (just turns on the lights based on proximity).
Actually, I'm pretty sure that one of the features of Keypass was that it would turn on the lights and unlock the door as you approached the car with your phone.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
100 Posts
Why they call pressing the button on the door passive door unlock I do not understand. From the manual

Passive Door Unlock
This allows the selection of what doors will unlock when using the button on the outside driver door
handle to unlock the vehicle. Select All Doors or Driver Door Only

I don't know if I'd trust a truly passive unlocking system.

Reactions: DAC17

·
Registered
183 Posts
Passive just means "accepting or allowing what happens or what others do, without active response or resistance". In other words, you don't have to dig out your key fob (or touch the fob) to lock or unlock the car. You are already touching the handle anyway and it is much easier to just touch the button on the handle to unlock the car as you open the door.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Actually, I'm pretty sure that one of the features of Keypass was that it would turn on the lights and unlock the door as you approached the car with your phone.
Since I've never been successful at getting Keypass to work on any Android phone, I've ignored its features. It works with the iPhones I've tested, but we don't use it.

I wouldn't use the unlock-on-approach feature anyway, because Bluetooth reaches to our driveway from our key-drop spot.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
I wouldn't use the unlock-on-approach feature anyway, because Bluetooth reaches to our driveway from our key-drop spot.
Yeah, I'm exactly the opposite. I don't want the car to lock automatically when I leave it, because I leave it in my locked detached garage and if people are going to break into that then they won't hesitate to break into the car too. Better to leave it unlocked and avoid any damage.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Yeah, I'm exactly the opposite. I don't want the car to lock automatically when I leave it, because I leave it in my locked detached garage and if people are going to break into that then they won't hesitate to break into the car too. Better to leave it unlocked and avoid any damage.
Yeah, theives can be relentless...and stupid. I had a thief cut a $500 canvas Jeep door skin to steal a $40 stereo.

The Jeep doors didn't even have a lock built into them...

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt Premier
14 Posts
Just did a bit of Googling, and if I'm reading this correctly, Passive Unlock enabled means you can use the handle buttons if the keyfob is nearby, but disabled means you have to actually use the fob (presumably to limit unlocking to the person who actually possesses it).

Seems kinda dumb, IMHO. Nothing "passive" about having to press a button to make something happen. Seems like if there's value in having the car lock without having to take action, there's value in the reverse.

Probably not offered for legal/security reasons, so that the door can't be unlocked without explicit action.

Then again, Tesla has it... (just sayin')
The use of the door handle to unlatch and to open the door is a given - regardless of whether the locked status of the door. It seems the designers think it’s “passive unlocking” when neither a physical key nor a key FOB is used to unlock the door(s), and I suppose that’s why they call that “passive unlocking”.

·
Registered
30 Posts
...I've configured my 2020 Bolt to automatically lock the doors and chirp the horn when I walk away from the car...
Interesting, my 2019 Bolt LT automatically lock the doors when I stand outside the car with the FOB. It doesn't wait until I walk away... Is it defective?

Personally, I prefer the button on the door handle to unlock the doors. I used to own a Camry and if I accidentally touched the door handle, it would unlock the doors (say while I wash the car with the FOB in my pocket). Since I need to grab the handle to open the door anyway, my thumb is naturally right over the button at that point.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt Premier
14 Posts
Interesting, my 2019 Bolt LT automatically lock the doors when I stand outside the car with the FOB. It doesn't wait until I walk away... Is it defective?

Personally, I prefer the button on the door handle to unlock the doors. I used to own a Camry and if I accidentally touched the door handle, it would unlock the doors (say while I wash the car with the FOB in my pocket). Since I need to grab the handle to open the door anyway, my thumb is naturally right over the button at that point.
Per the Bolt Owners Manual:

Passive Locking

The Keyless Access system will lock the vehicle several seconds after all doors are closed, if the vehicle is off and at least one RKE transmitter has been removed from the interior or none remain in the interior.

Evidently the passive locking function activities after a certain time elapses (within several seconds), but that does NOT depend on your proximity to the car. Therefore I don’t think 🤔 it matters wheth you stand by or walk away from your Bolt.

Hope this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts