Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They really have seemed to worked out a lot of the problems with autonomous driving. This video is impressive and because I have driven those very streets many times, I am impressed. However, this rush towards self driving robot cars with all of us as passengers seems a little rushed to me. Kind of like virtual reality goggles, Google Glass and 3-D TV sets. The article is linked below.

https://youtu.be/Vfgjemwc9NU

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/8/14550620/gm-chevy-bolt-self-driving-car-san-francisco-video

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Sounds like they're already using it to ferry people to and from work using the Cruise app. When the Bolt finally does join Lyft's fleet, maybe that'ls how people will flag one down.

It was “developed for employees to use on a test basis for obtaining an autonomous ride to and from work. We have been offering this to some of our employees for a couple of months now.”

·
Registered
263 Posts
Impressive at around 46 seconds when it detected the road block and smoothly dodged it and around 2:30 when the Bolt figured out the truck wasn't moving.

·
Registered
979 Posts
It’s nice to see this step forward. It will be great to see it open up more to individuals with impairments giving new choices for freedom and enjoyment.

I’m unwilling at present to erase the love of self-driving. But when I eventually fail the old-age drivers test I’m going to be glad these autonomous guys are around.

·
Registered
735 Posts
It’s nice to see this step forward. It will be great to see it open up more to individuals with impairments giving new choices for freedom and enjoyment.

I’m unwilling at present to erase the love of self-driving. But when I eventually fail the old-age drivers test I’m going to be glad these autonomous guys are around.
You'll see it play out big time in city centers, suburbs, and so on. If you look at what's going on there's a big push to get people to live in more condensed communities and with that comes TRAFFIC, so as you an imagine self-driving will be big their. Scary enough, in your own city, Toronto, will be one of the many playgrounds ;)

But it will be a whole different story up in say... King City.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Toronto will be the ultimate challenge. Autonomous EV will need to learn, just like the rest of us, how to avoid losing control or damaging itself : contractor’s equipment lying on the street, orange and turquoise cabs taking your lane starting from right beside you, chunks of the Gardiner Expressway on pavement below, broken pavement, flying broken pavement, cavernous potholes, deep sewer grate depressions, streetcar tracks criss-crossed diagonally, etc.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I thought Bolts don't have this functionality? perhaps I am missing something.
The Bolts that you and I can buy don't. But that doesn't stop Cruise Automation from buying Bolts and outfitting them with the technology as part of their test and development program.

Future Bolts may come with this. Mary Barra has said it's coming sooner than most people expect. But personally I'll believe it when it shows up in the ordering guide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts