Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wait until it gets out that you can fool these neural networks and maybe even make these cars crash with simple graffiti on road signs. Scary stuff.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Wait until it gets out that you can fool these neural networks and maybe even make these cars crash with simple graffiti on road signs. Scary stuff.
Interesting thought, and I'm sure there will be instances of tragic accidents due to tampering with the system.

Even more scary would be a crazy dictator that has nuclear weapon capability (I'm looking at you Kim Jong Un).

What I'm really scared about though, is cardiovascular disease and cancer. Those are the things that are going to kill me, just like most people.

Overall, technology tends towards increasing safety and well-being, despite introducing new and unlikely ways to do harm.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Add to that the OTA updates to the cars and it's a malicious hacker's paradise. :eek:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
With how much road rage there are these days, I won't be surprised to see people try to mess with the autonomous driving system like brake checking or lane cutting. Or people just messing with it in general.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
735 Posts
This tech will only get really good once cars start talking to themselves, just think about how powerful it is for your car to be getting feedback about an accident 10 cars ahead or an object on the road and you're able to react well ahead of when you need to. Although you can do with your own eyes not many drivers are that aware.

·
Registered
58 Posts
that's why, as soon as my free trial is up, i'm pulling F31 - onstar. it's mainly useless to me, the only thing i've ever used the LTE connection for is checking my SOC remotely.

https://www.wired.com/2015/09/gm-took-5-years-fix-full-takeover-hack-millions-onstar-cars/
I once had my alternator die on a road trip through the desert towing a boat behind a Chevy Tahoe.. Thankfully, my wife was able to locate a service place on her phone, and we had just enough juice left in the battery to keep the engine running, if we shut down all electronics and lights, etc. Well, that was until an onstar rep decided to call us on the system and ask if we needed help! :mad::mad::mad: I had no idea what Onstar even was, or how to operate it, so I politely explained to the lady that we didn't have enough juice to make it to the service center if I couldn't get her to hang up. Of course, she was confused and didn't want to get off the line, because she was sure we needed help, so I finally ended up getting a little more stern with her, and she hung up.

I've never been a fan of Onstar. It seems redundant with other tech.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yep... and apparently they're watching you all the time, as your experience shows. i can do without that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
yep... and apparently they're watching you all the time, as your experience shows. i can do without that.
Oh ya, that's right. After I figured out how to get them to shut the thing off (I had bought the Tahoe used, and they were still billing the previous owner), they called me on the thing to try to sell me on re-activating it. If I remember correctly, they tried to impress me by telling me my location, direction of travel, and SPEED. I was not impressed. I basically told the guy that he had just interrupted my favorite song to tell me a bunch of things I already knew, and then ask for money :mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts