Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Autonomous Chevy Bolt EV To Roam Michigan Roads

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  eops 
#1 ·

Earlier this year, autonomous Chevrolet Bolt prototypes were being tested on the streets of San Francisco and Scottsdale, Arizona. Now, General Motors will begin manufacturing and testing its autonomous Bolt EV in Michigan.

Michigan has become the first state to create and pass comprehensive statewide self-driving regulations in the U.S. These new regulations will govern the testing, development and sale of self-driving cars in the future.

Following the signing of the SAVE Act legislation, GM will start testing self-driving Bolts near the Technical Center campus in Warren before expanding into metro Detroit. This will give them the chance to test the Bolt EV’s LIDAR units, cameras, sensors, and other hardware in severe weather conditions.

To get ahead of their competition, GM has acquired Cruise Automation and invested $500 million into the autonomous Bolt’s development. The company also announced their plans to produce the next generation fleet of autonomous Bolts in the Orion Township assembly plant early next year, the same plant that’s already building the Bolt EV and Chevy Sonic.

It’s a race to the finish line and GM will have to compete with Ford’s autonomous Fusion Hybrid sedans and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles’ (FCA) Pacifica plug-in hybrid minivans.

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm with you on mass, since that's what will really solidify this technology and bring it to the level of self driving tech we can feel confident in, since the more cars talking to eachother on the road, learning and pulling data, the better it can act in those environments. Basically that whole AI aspect.

#4 ·
As we admire the Bolt's generous cabin size, ample rear seating and complain about it's stiff utilitarian seats, we must remember that it is partly from the get go designed to be a taxi cab. GM acquired Lyft and developed this car for it. I believe that many of it's design choices are made with transporting passengers and autonomous driving in mind.

#6 ·
With the increased excitement from the first bolt deliveries, I've completely forgotten the original purpose of the Bolt. A ride share vehicle to cut out the middle man driver and ferry passengers around autonomously. But, we're still far away from the day when that becomes the norm. The most I'll read about the topic will be whatever is posted on this forum, but that's about it.

#7 ·
Well what's going to help is for the tech to start off on predefined routes.
So if there's a route people frequently take, going beta with that is a good start till they're confident enough in the tech that it can go anywhere and everywhere like human was driving. Overall it's starting micro then going macro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.