Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Autonomous cars have been getting a bad rep lately, especially Tesla, but that isn’t deterring Chevy and their autonomous driving technology continues to move forward.

Their autonomous Bolt prototype is now roaming the streets of Scottsdale, Arizona in addition to San Francisco and Cruise Automation is now hiring. That’s right, if you live in the Scottsdale or San Francisco area and want to be part of the team, know that the company is hiring Automated Vehicle Trainers to help them “test and improve the performance” of their driverless cars.

It’s not surprising to see GM test the Bolt around Scottsdale since Cruise Automation has opened facilities in Phoenix. The greater Phoenix area has become a paradise for testing and developing autonomous car. Even Google has announced that they will use one of Phoenix’s cities into a testing hub for their fleet of self-driving cars.

We don’t exactly when the autonomous technology will be made available to the public but it should be in the next 10-15 years. At least that’s what Kyle Vogt, CEO of Cruise Automation, told Wired by stating that he’d be “out of a job if he can’t do it within 10 to 15 years.”

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Times like these makes me wish I went to school for software engineering... could have been working towards autonomous cars by now.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The next 10-15 years ? By that time, the competition will be very different as we can definitely see some fast growing advancements in the industry

·
Registered
263 Posts
I assume when the technology is available to the public, it won't necessarily be affordable. Advanced cruise control that is available with some production models right now is all I really need for long drives on straight roads but I wouldn't trust an automated car to perfectly maneuver around the city streets, at least not yet.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I think the Google autonomous test car that's been driving around got into two accidents. Surprisingly the Google car wasn't even at fault for the both of them which I actually didn't find too surprising.

BUT what I'm getting at is, I too would be uneasy with something driving me all around the place. I would obviously be super attentive throughout the whole thing to the point where I might as well drive

·
Registered
263 Posts
At some point, letting the car drive itself will feel natural to us but that time is far into the future and it'll be hard for those of us who has been driving for a large part of our lives to make the switch. One day, when I'm old and my vision isn't all that great I'd like to be driven around but until then, the autonomous system isn't really for me.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That is true.. we'll eventually all have to adapt. I can definitely see if being of a better choice when I get a bit older though. Hopefully all the "wrinkles are ironed out" by then ;) Get it ... ?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Let’s hope that GM’s definition of “autonomous” is more comprehensive than Uber’s.

Including the ability to automatically brake would be advised.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Let’s hope that GM’s definition of “autonomous” is more comprehensive than Uber’s.

Including the ability to automatically brake would be advised.

"Including the ability to automatically brake would be advised."

Better still, don't disable the automatic braking system that the vehicle already has.:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts