Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to make a 130 mile trip today so I charged to 100% for the first time in months last night. Car had charged to 232 on GOM. Stop to get a drink and a snack and service immediately light came on when started. Drove back home parked car and waited a while and started again got same light. Drove to closes dealer and they took car and said we will call you at the earliest Thursday and did I need an Uber home. No loaners available. Saw 4 other Bolts parked by service area and they looked like they had been there a while. Called my GM rep and got voicemail. Polestar 2 looks better everyday.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Van's Chevy. Not my first choice but they are the nearest to me. I don't think Volvo service could possibly be as bad as Chevy........At this point I need reliable transportation. If this is a real issue the car could be there for months.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Keep us updated. Also, which dealer?

Not sure I like the idea of a Chinese vehicle serviced by "specific Volvo dealerships".
With the current state of the Bolt recall and confidence (lack of) in GM right now; I really think the risk is not too bad. We bought the Bolt because GM had such expertise (back in 2017) with the EV1 project => Volt => Bolt. Tesla was a little risky. Not sure if it was the right decision; but this is quickly becoming the last bow tie in our driveway for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
202 Posts
Had to make a 130 mile trip today so I charged to 100% for the first time in months last night. Car had charged to 232 on GOM. Stop to get a drink and a snack and service immediately light came on when started. Drove back home parked car and waited a while and started again got same light. Drove to closes dealer and they took car and said we will call you at the earliest Thursday and did I need an Uber home. No loaners available. Saw 4 other Bolts parked by service area and they looked like they had been there a while. Called my GM rep and got voicemail. Polestar 2 looks better everyday.
Love the Polestar, such a nice car to drive, had chance to test drive one and it is a dream to drive, build quality is superb. I’m getting an ID4 to replace the Bolt but the Polestar really impressed me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Love the Polestar, such a nice car to drive, had chance to test drive one and it is a dream to drive, build quality is superb. I’m getting an ID4 to replace the Bolt but the Polestar really impressed me.
I'd be curious to know what you think about all the touch points instead of buttons and knobs for things like the infotainment and hvac controls. I've been a VW and Audi owner in the past so I do like the ID4, but I'm not sure I could deal with the lack of physical controls for simple things.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
202 Posts
I'd be curious to know what you think about all the touch points instead of buttons and knobs for things like the infotainment and hvac controls. I've been a VW and Audi owner in the past so I do like the ID4, but I'm not sure I could deal with the lack of physical controls for simple things.
To be honest, yes having physical controls is nice but it really doesn’t bother me, it’s very personal and it’s totally understandable that a good amount of people don’t like it. I went on a road trip with my brother and his iD4 and by the time we were back home it was second nature and got used to it , it’s like getting used to the MMI in Audis , it takes a bit of time and next thing you know you aren’t even looking while changing things, I recently had to get used to touch screens in Audis again, it didn’t feel natural at first even though I have a Bolt My brain switched to MMI mode when driving an Audi, now driving the e-tron with haptic feedback in the touchscreen that was a totally new thing that I needed to get used to, my point is that you get used to it rather quickly, it’s not enough to just do a short test drive to discover how easy it is, it takes a road trip or a few days with the car.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Why does it matter that it's Chinese?
Maybe I don't want to support their building of coal plants to support their manufacturing.
Maybe I don't want to support the way they treat the Uighur.
Maybe I don't want to support what they are doing with Taiwan.
Maybe there's a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with your assumptions.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Maybe I don't want to support their building of coal plants to support their manufacturing.
Maybe I don't want to support the way they treat the Uighur.
Maybe I don't want to support what they are doing with Taiwan.
Maybe there's a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with your assumptions.
Do you have any idea how many of the products you buy fall under the umbrella statements you just listed? It's a lot. Probably most of them.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Do you have any idea how many of the products you buy fall under the umbrella statements you just listed? It's a lot. Probably most of them.
Yes, but a vehicle adds up to a whole lot more manufacturing and energy consumption than a drill motor. A lot more dollars too. I think it's something to consider.

·
Registered
10,123 Posts
Yes, but a vehicle adds up to a whole lot more manufacturing and energy consumption than a drill motor. A lot more dollars too. I think it's something to consider.
I missed when the Chinese invaded, and forced us to take their products at gunpoint. It was greedy capitalists eager to break unions, and dump expensive US labor that got us here. It worked. They got fabulously wealthy. If you own stock, they will throw some your way too. The losers get to fill our prisons, and live under bridges.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I missed when the Chinese invaded, and forced us to take their products at gunpoint. It was greedy capitalists eager to break unions, and dump expensive US labor that got us here. It worked. They got fabulously wealthy. If you own stock, they will throw some your way too. The losers get to fill our prisons, and live under bridges.
Agree with that, without greedy CEOs and board members our manufacturing sector would not have been outsourced to China.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok let's get back on topic. I have had my Bolt since 4/17. Have had a Volt since 2014. My father in law worked at GM tech center for 35 years. I can guarantee you he is rolling over in his grave over this mess. GM can not sell me a EV at this moment. My choices are limited. Have no clue when I will see my car again. Just rented a car for the week. Do you honestly think GM will reimburse me? I love the car but it has to go. I hate to say that but my patience has worn thin.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Was there an accompanying message to service vehicle within X days? A one time glitch can trigger a DTC, and it takes a number of on-off cycles to get it to clear itself. Polestar is nice but their US footprint is very scant at the moment.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nope. Just showed up. Last time had to replace high voltage relay. Did power cycle 4 times. Not going to screw around with the current issues. Have zero confidence right now. Might be an over reaction but not sure what my options are right now.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts