Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try to replace the bowtie in the front grill with one that Chevy offers for the Camaro ?
It makes a Camaro look cool, and a Bolt would seem like a natural for that option...

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
I did a search and it looks like GM and the aftermarket offer a backlit bowtie. I think they are all for the Camaro, but I bet they could be fitted to the Bolt. The aftermarket ones from Oracle Lighting offer different colors where as I think the GM one is just blue. I think it might be pretty easy to mod the one that comes with the car. I might look into that when I get mine.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sure, why not?
Dunno, I've never done such things. You'd have to get electricity from the battery, so I imagine you'd need to drill a hole in the hood, behind the bowtie? Or is there already a hole you could run a wire thru? For sill plates, would it be easy to install and conceal wires on both front door sills? Rear door sills?

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Dunno, I've never done such things. You'd have to get electricity from the battery, so I imagine you'd need to drill a hole in the hood, behind the bowtie? Or is there already a hole you could run a wire thru? For sill plates, would it be easy to install and conceal wires on both front door sills? Rear door sills?
Might have to drill holes, might not. I have no idea at this point because I don't have my Bolt yet. I do know that it is all very doable.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I found this video on YouTube. Looks sorta cool. They say it is for the rear of the car but I bet you could adapt it to put it where ever you want. I like that when it is not lit it looks like the stock badge!

https://youtu.be/h6XrNx1Rufk

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
This one really interests me... but I'm not too sure if I would really go with these. I like the concept of the backlit badges but I'm not too sure if they're overkill or not.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I would presume connecting to any sort of power wire, but I would probably splice it into the parking lights and you can utilize the phone to turn it on or off, for the regular one though, you could just splice into the parking lights again but you wouldn't really be able to turn it on and off in the night when you have the headlights on?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Seeing how those setups look on some Chevy's really help in deciding if its for you or not and from what I seen in a few examples its definitely not for me. Maybe if lighting was more subtle. Some glow in the dark pinstripe would do it for me.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think a backlit badge that can change colors is something you'll be excited about for a while and then forget. Better to just stick with the white or blue backlit badge and call it a day, just a matter of splicing it so it turns on and off with the headlamps.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
You could always turn the brightness down a good amount as well to keep it real subtle so it's not completely in your face and taking all the focus

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have a 2009 Chevy Equinox and I plan to put in back-lighted bowties. The wiring is simple: just splice to the parking/marker lights that you turn on at night.

The main question is what state laws may affect adding colored lights to the vehicle. In Puerto Rico, Law 22 regulates all the lights and permitted colors in a vehicle on our public roads. It specifies that the front lights can only be yellow or white (such as DRL), and the rear lights can only be red. Blue and green are prohibited because they belong to law-enforcing vehicles, and no red lights are allowed up front. White lights in the rear are prohibited because they can be confused with backup lights, but if the new light works with the backup/reverse, then it is allowed. Side lights are markers, and only yellow is allowed, but red is permitted only for the tail area. Underside lights are not permitted, nor wheel lights. Flashing or moving lights are prohibited, except the emergency strobes when parked. In general, the law allow lights that increase vehicle visibility at night or during a heavy rain (we get plenty!), but not too much to cause driver distraction or confusion. And this totally excludes the famous "Knight Rider" or Lawson scanner lights in the nose.

I plan to add a red light under the Equinox tail, since it is a marker and not prohibited, and adds visbility of the Equinox presence and width to following drivers.

So I recommend searching or asking about your state laws and lighting regulations before buying a back-lighted bow tie.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
I have a 2009 Chevy Equinox and I plan to put in back-lighted bowties. The wiring is simple: just splice to the parking/marker lights that you turn on at night.

The main question is what state laws may affect adding colored lights to the vehicle. In Puerto Rico, Law 22 regulates all the lights and permitted colors in a vehicle on our public roads. It specifies that the front lights can only be yellow or white (such as DRL), and the rear lights can only be red. Blue and green are prohibited because they belong to law-enforcing vehicles, and no red lights are allowed up front. White lights in the rear are prohibited because they can be confused with backup lights, but if the new light works with the backup/reverse, then it is allowed. Side lights are markers, and only yellow is allowed, but red is permitted only for the tail area. Underside lights are not permitted, nor wheel lights. Flashing or moving lights are prohibited, except the emergency strobes when parked. In general, the law allow lights that increase vehicle visibility at night or during a heavy rain (we get plenty!), but not too much to cause driver distraction or confusion. And this totally excludes the famous "Knight Rider" or Lawson scanner lights in the nose.

I plan to add a red light under the Equinox tail, since it is a marker and not prohibited, and adds visbility of the Equinox presence and width to following drivers.

So I recommend searching or asking about your state laws and lighting regulations before buying a back-lighted bow tie.
Good point. We have similar laws here in California. Most of the custom car exterior lighting you see on line, like under body lighting, lighted grills, etc, people here only turn that on when they are parked or in car shows.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I found this video on YouTube. Looks sorta cool. They say it is for the rear of the car but I bet you could adapt it to put it where ever you want. I like that when it is not lit it looks like the stock badge!

https://youtu.be/h6XrNx1Rufk
Just testing my link here, never mind me, carry on with what your doing! LOL

Ah ha! Sorry I was just trying to figure out how Electro embedded his video and I've got it!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts