Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I had my car in for 15k service. I was shown a Bolt that had to be towed in from guys house. His charging module under the hood exploded due to incorrect wiring on module installed at home. Service guy wasn't to revealing about facts just it exploded during a charge session and GM had sent in techs to look at. In the 2nd picture you can see lid actually cracked. 1700 miles on car. Damage assessment is on going.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Wow! Only thing I could think someone could do is try bypassing the smarts in the EVSE. We'll get that relay to latch.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
It didn't explode. "It let the magic smoke out." This was pretty benign. I have seen much worse from DIY EV builders.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It didn't explode. "It let the magic smoke out." This was pretty benign. I have seen much worse from DIY EV builders.
I'd be pretty shocked if that happened to my Bolt. Even when "letting the magic smoke out" of a small ceramic capacitor, it makes a pretty nice high-pitched, short bang (like a snap).

Different levels of comfort I guess. Sorta how an ER doctor reacts to injuries vs the general public.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
I am imagining the guy making a 240 volt adapter for his factory EVSE, and swapping one of the hots with the ground. I wonder if the car would sense that in some way, before closing the SSR in the on-board charger?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told it was a very loud bang. Service guy said home fast charger but since I was the first Bolt in for service ever. I will assume L2 since DC fast at home is not really feasible.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
I was told it was a very loud bang. Service guy said home fast charger but since I was the first Bolt in for service ever. I will assume L2 since DC fast at home is not really feasible.
And if it was a DC charger, it should not be going through the on-board AC charger at all.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes that would be true. I am just amazed that GM or dealer employees know so little about the car. It's the best thing they make.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Not only is it the best thing GM has ever built, but it is as good as the Tesla Model 3. That is what really floored me. You can argue about if you like sedans or hatchbacks, or FWD vs RWD, about how important over the air updates are to you. But there isn't a dimes worth of difference between the real automotive engineering in either one. Somebody, probably both, was doing a lot of "research" into the other's project. Or more likely, there is really only one way to make a $45K, 200 mile range electric car. And the best part is we were able to get ours for $9K less than that. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts