Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2017 Premier on 3 September 2019 with approx 62,000 miles. Torque Pro showed a battery capacity of 58ish kWh, which I determined to be acceptable for this vehicle. It was a prior Maven Gig vehicle, which I assume was given a very hard life. So there was a lost of about 8 miles on the range at 100 percent. The vehicle still showed the radio and power plant recall needed to be performed so I took it into the dealer. The recalls were performed, but now Torque shows 44.8 kWh of battery capacity. It has dropped from a 2 percent degradation to an approximately 25% degradation. I brought it up with the dealer and they said that it would need to be driven for everything to settle back in. I did not charge the battery fully prior to the recall, but has anyone else noticed the same behavior?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
You are are probably the first person to have the presence of mind to check Torque Pro before doing the updates.

But I would not worry for a few full to empty charge cycles. After that, let us know what it says. I will be very interested!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I knew I wasn't imagining it! For a while I was participating in a BC Hydro charging study, and part of that study included running a datalogger which reported my driving and charging habits. Through a web interface I was able to access that data as well. For the first many months of the study my battery health was showing 100%, something I was proud of and attributed to my intentional battery care habits. A month or so passed since i last noticed battery health and I took my car in for the battery calibration recall. Another month or two passed and I happen to notice that my battery health was now reporting 95%, where it stayed for the remainder of the study (another 8 months or so). While I didn't think about checking the health the day before and the day after, things were stable for almost a year and probably 25k kms, then suddenly dropped to 95%, and then remained stable for quite some more time.

Unfortunately the datalogger is no longer working so I can't tell what the health status is now at 2.5yrs and 70k kms, but from my occasional calculation I think it's actually dropped a few percent on top of the 5% that I believe GM tuned out of the battery.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I presume if you buy a 2019 (like I did), whatever software update they did to earlier cars will already be applied... yet they are still listed with an EPA range of 238 miles. In other words, if you bought a 2017 and had the recall done and you got "capped" somehow, we later adopters with a 2019 should already be "pre-capped". Is there any evidence of that? Or maybe, did they make some hardware change in later models that made the extra reserve unnecessary, which would mean a 2017 with the recall applied would actually get slightly less range?

Mike

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
...I would not worry for a few full to empty charge cycles. After that, let us know what it says. I will be very interested!
Yes, the battery management system update is known to disrupt the car's capacity estimates, especially if it's not fully charged when the update is performed. It will take a few charge cycles for the estimation algorithm to settle down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know everyone is waiting with baited breath to find out if the batter capacity guess updated or not. Well, I drove the car to about 39% and then quick charged to 83% (I was out and running errands, so no slow charging that day) and the capacity jumped to 57.7% on TorquePro. So, I guess that is not too bad for a 62000+ mi. 2017. Battery degradation anxiety over. Of course, now there is a disconnect between A Better Route Planner and TorquePro, because some data is being reflected on the site, but some is not (most importantly, SoH and current charge).

·
Registered
637 Posts
I know everyone is waiting with baited breath to find out if the batter capacity guess updated or not. Well, I drove the car to about 39% and then quick charged to 83% (I was out and running errands, so no slow charging that day) and the capacity jumped to 57.7% on TorquePro. So, I guess that is not too bad for a 62000+ mi. 2017. Battery degradation anxiety over. Of course, now there is a disconnect between A Better Route Planner and TorquePro, because some data is being reflected on the site, but some is not (most importantly, SoH and current charge).
Excellent, and my experience shows that the number reported by Torque jumps around a bit, it might go higher

·
Registered
3,571 Posts

Nice! I am sure you meant to say battery capacity jumped to 57.7 kWh. Not bad at all. Our 2017, always babied, sits at 55.7 kWh, and 27.5 K miles today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts