Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I’ve read back almost a year in this forum and haven’t found a recent discussion that talked about do’s and don’t for battery care for the Bolt EV. In particular I was surprised to see (in something I read) that the battery can be harmed by temperatures under 32 degrees and over 90 degrees. Obviously there are plenty of times when a parked Bolt may see temperatures over or under these numbers. The worst case is probably at night (when temperatures drop). Do most people assume the car should be always plugged in over night to allow it to be able to maintain the correct temperatures? Likewise if I lived in Arizona would I have concerns about leaving the car out in a parking lot in the sun?

Thanks!

Peter

·
Registered
370 Posts
Fake news, sort of.
Short answer is the Bolt will take care of itself except in the coldest temperatures encountered in the lower 48 states. You can set the MyChevrolet App to send an alert message if temperatures within the next 36 hrs are forecast to be so low that the Bolt will need to stay plugged in. There's no alert for high temperatures, and the manual is mute about high temperatures so I wouldn't worry about that.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
The battery would "be harmed by temperatures under 32 degrees and over 90 degrees." That is why it has a complex, and costly heating/cooling system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts