Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month ago, I bought a 2020 Bolt. I am using only a 120 volt outlet for now. My state has an incentive for installing a L2 charger for customers (I own a marina and also live here) but the grant is only available in the fall and is not retroactive. Actually 120 is fine for me in that my usual trip is 45 miles round trip every couple of days. That's called retired. I live in Nebraska and it is somewhat cold now, so I leave the Bolt plugged in constantly, even though it may have a full charge. My problem is that my electricity bill for this past month is 50% higher even though the average temperature was 10 degrees higher than the previous month. Do I need to charge it and then unplug it once it is full. Selecting a departure time is difficult since I tend to go on a whim not a schedule.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I'd leave it plugged in. 50% higher doesn't tell us anything because you didn't provide the other half (50% of what).

I recently added a whole home power monitor with 8 branch circuit monitoring (I don't own an EV). It's $100 on Amazon. It'll probably pay for itself as I found out my master bed/bath has a 40 watt idle consumption even when everything is "off". Now I'm hunting phantom loads.

Emporia energy meter

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd leave it plugged in. 50% higher doesn't tell us anything because you didn't provide the other half (50% of what).

I recently added a whole home power monitor with 8 branch circuit monitoring (I don't own an EV). It's $100 on Amazon. It'll probably pay for itself as I found out my master bed/bath has a 40 watt idle consumption even when everything is "off". Now I'm hunting phantom loads.

Emporia energy meter
Actually I exagerated. It went from $286.58 to $413,56, But compared to gasoline usage with my Honda Civic, that is high. I will look into the energy meter. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What's your electric rate? If average for Nebraska (10c/kWh) it should only add about $22.50 to your monthly bill even at low efficiency. (45mi * 15 trips = 675mi / 3mi/kWh = 225 kW * 10c/kWh) So, there's an order of magnitude difference and battery conditioning/preheating shouldn't account for anything like that much energy. Any other changes to your electric usage around the same time? Since you're using the 110V charger you could start by getting a Kill-a-Watt plug-in meter and see exactly how much the car is drawing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's your electric rate? If average for Nebraska (10c/kWh) it should only add about $22.50 to your monthly bill even at low efficiency. (45mi * 15 trips = 675mi / 3mi/kWh = 225 kW * 10c/kWh) So, there's an order of magnitude difference and battery conditioning/preheating shouldn't account for anything like that much energy. Any other changes to your electric usage around the same time? Since you're using the 110V charger you could start by getting a Kill-a-Watt plug-in meter and see exactly how much the car is drawing.
Thank you, that was informative. I will look into the Kill-a-Watt meter.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yeah, I drive three times as many miles as you per month, and my bill went up less about $60... Either something is seriously wrong with the setup, or something else is adding to your bill. Any of the boats in your Marina running an extension cord up to your home instead of plugging in to shore power?

Keith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts