Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
2019 LT. Battery heater 2kw. Chiller doesn't kick in till battery temperature reaches 90F. Optimal battery temperature seems to be around 80F.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Professor Kelly also says the coolant circulating pump only takes about 20 Watts.
If that's true, then I don't know what would account for that additional power draw I'm seeing. It's possible that my PID isn't programmed correctly, or there's just some sort of communication error. It wouldn't be the first time the data I see is a bit different than others (my car steps down to 105 A rather than 100 A after the ~50% cutoff, but that is something I've observed on both Torque Pro and the charger display itself).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I just got back from 50 miles of driving in 87 degree weather. I set the target charge level below the SOC and plugged the car into my L2 charger, which read up to 14 A. So I think that confirms NewsCoulomb's statement of 3kw for cooling the battery. Guess I've have to wait for winter to test battery heating.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have another question: What is the primary reason for battery conditioning? Is it to prevent degradation, or loss of range, or something else?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Now that's confusing. Please explain how a chiller works by heating liquid.
The chiller does NOT work by heating a liquid. The chiller uses a refrigerant which does NOT circulate through the battery. The cooling function and the heating function share the same "coolant loop" {not "cooling loop"} to the battery {Rechargeable Energy Storage System = RESS}. Fluid (the 'coolant') flows from a surge tank (#2) to the pump to the "Battery Coolant Heater" (RESSH) to the high-voltage battery (RESS) to the chiller module and back to the surge tank. The same compressor {Air Conditioning Compressor Module = ACCM} sends refrigerant to the cabin evaporator and takes heat from the battery 'coolant' circuit if the HV battery needs cooling. Cabin cooling and battery cooling are separate, independent functions simply sharing the same compressor. Surge tank #1 is in the Power Electronics (PE) Coolant Loop and surge tank #3 is in the Cabin Heating Loop.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
21 - 29 of 29 Posts