Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manual states:

"Do not allow the vehicle to remain in temperature extremes for long periods without being driven or plugged in. It is recommended that
the vehicle be plugged in when temperatures are below 0°C (32°F) and above 32°C (90°F) to maximize high voltage battery life."

I'm afraid my car has been in shipping for so long, that the battery will be compromised before I even get it. My dealer said that their car deliveries go to a train depot in the middle of nowhere and the cars just sit sometimes for a month.

Wonder how long the battery can hang in there? If GM monitors the cars through OnStar during delivery?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Being cold is great for the battery if it's not going to be put into service while it's cold. Partial state of charge helps protect the cathode from SEI buildup in high temperatures when the car can't be plugged in, so they ship them at the appropriate state of charge for best results. Lithium Ion batteries do really well in storage at partial SoC in general, no matter the specific chemistry.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being cold is great for the battery if it's not going to be put into service while it's cold. Partial state of charge helps protect the cathode from SEI buildup in high temperatures when the car can't be plugged in, so they ship them at the appropriate state of charge for best results. Lithium Ion batteries do really well in storage at partial SoC in general, no matter the specific chemistry.
I see. I just assumed the car would be trying to actively heat or cool the battery and that would run down the battery. So is there a setting to tell the car not to control the battery temperature if at a partial charge? Or is the car smart enough to stop trying after the battery gets to a partial charge? I live in a hot climate so there's going to be many, many times that the car will sit in over 90F degree weather. It just isn't clear in the manual as to what is considered a "long period."

·
Registered
989 Posts
Manual states:

"Do not allow the vehicle to remain in temperature extremes for long periods without being driven or plugged in. It is recommended that
the vehicle be plugged in when temperatures are below 0°C (32°F) and above 32°C (90°F) to maximize high voltage battery life."

I'm afraid my car has been in shipping for so long, that the battery will be compromised before I even get it. My dealer said that their car deliveries go to a train depot in the middle of nowhere and the cars just sit sometimes for a month.

Wonder how long the battery can hang in there? If GM monitors the cars through OnStar during delivery?

Your dealer sounds like a typical clueless dealership employee. Did you order your car ?
Yes, they do ship from a central storage lot, but most cars have a short move time before
they hit the trains. As mentioned above, the battery will do well at the SOC they keep them
for shipping. No real need to worry about it. It takes about a month from production date
to arrive at the destination. At least that's what mine took and I ordered mine. I was able
to follow it's progress through the GM dealers portal. It's really slow to update too :eek:

This time of year isn't really an issue in MI. anyways. It's still well into the 50°'s

·
Registered
247 Posts
Manual states:

Your dealer sounds like a typical clueless dealership employee. Did you order your car ?
Yes, they do ship from a central storage lot, but most cars have a short move time before
they hit the trains. As mentioned above, the battery will do well at the SOC they keep them
for shipping. No real need to worry about it. It takes about a month from production date
to arrive at the destination. At least that's what mine took and I ordered mine. I was able
to follow it's progress through the GM dealers portal. It's really slow to update too
Hi there! Can you please provide the site for the GM portal to check on order delivery? Thank you

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you order your car ?
Sure did. Dealer was able to track the car until it got bayed. One system says it has been bayed. And another resource they have says it's in transit. So dealer and I are both in the dark. It's in shipping h e double toothpicks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi there! Can you please provide the site for the GM portal to check on order delivery? Thank you
Sure! It's at your local dealer >
You'll need them to do the search based on your/the order info.
Received an email from dealer today. He says I have priority in build at their location and that orders are pouring in but they will honour everyone?s order of arrival. He mentioned my build date will most likely be in January 2018.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Received an email from dealer today. He says I have priority in build at their location and that orders are pouring in but they will honour everyone?s order of arrival. He mentioned my build date will most likely be in January 2018.
When did you order it ? When was the order accepted by GM ?
IIRC mine was ordered Oct16th and built in late Nov 2016. It hit the lot on Jan 3rd 2017.
I ordered mine the day they opened the order window. I would guess 2.5 months total >:)

The "orders are rolling in" sounds like a typical dealer BS stall tactic.

·
Registered
247 Posts
When did you order it ? When was the order accepted by GM ?
IIRC mine was ordered Oct16th and built in late Nov 2016. It hit the lot on Jan 3rd 2017.
I ordered mine the day they opened the order window. I would guess 2.5 months total >:)

The "orders are rolling in" sounds like a typical dealer BS stall tactic.
I know. According to an email I received from the dealer, my order was officially put in on October 3rd. I would have guessed late Nov for the built as well. Maybe he is saying January to be on the safe side? :eek:

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I see. I just assumed the car would be trying to actively heat or cool the battery and that would run down the battery. So is there a setting to tell the car not to control the battery temperature if at a partial charge? Or is the car smart enough to stop trying after the battery gets to a partial charge? I live in a hot climate so there's going to be many, many times that the car will sit in over 90F degree weather. It just isn't clear in the manual as to what is considered a "long period."
Your Bolt will be fine in transit. As long as the battery SOC is above 30%, thermal conditioning will automatically run to keep the battery in a happy state. The amount of power it uses is not excessive, at least for cooling purposes, so you won’t have a cooked battery when you get the car finally. What you will find is that your lifetime effeciency as reported by the myChevrolet app will be really low until you start putting serious miles on the car. My car was delivered with just 10 miles on the odometer, but the app reported an effeciency of just 1.2 miles per kWh. That figure has crept up to 3.2 miles after 8400 miles.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease during this torturous wait. Would think I was having my first child born.

·
Registered
11 Posts
With respect to long term storage (say up to 20 days) should to I keep my Bolt connected to my Level 2 charger in my garage or the 120V wall outlet? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
With respect to long term storage (say up to 20 days) should to I keep my Bolt connected to my Level 2 charger in my garage or the 120V wall outlet? Thanks!
I don't think that the Bolt will pull over 1 kW *continuously* (or even often, even if battery conditioning), so 120V should be fine, but 240V isn't going to hurt anything. I would set "hilltop reserve" so that it isn't at 100% for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't think that 20 days would be a problem. I would just keep it plugged in to your level 2 EVSE.

Our Bolt is in SE Florida, and we go back and forth between homes, sometimes leaving it for 2-2.5 months. I never have a problem just leaving our 2012 Volt plugged in to our level 2 EVSE in Ohio.

But the first time I came back to FL, the 12V battery in our Bolt was dead. I am wondering if the problem is that I do not yet have a level 2 EVSE yet in FL and the level 1 EVSE does not really provide conditioning.

So this time, before we left, I put the car into "transport mode", which basically shuts down all parasitic drains on the 12V battery. I will be going back to FL next month and I will see how that worked....

I have the instructions for that, if anyone is interested.

Jim I - Very Happy 2012 Volt & 2017 Bolt Owner

·
Registered
306 Posts
When I park my Bolt for the summer I am going to hook it up to the 120V outlet so it will be ready to go if needed.

Where I keep the car is a converted sun room that has windows with shades on 2 walls, the shades will be down and the windows open from the top.

The car is always ready to go just unplug the 120V charger and go.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts