Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea how much range will be lost if parked for 8 hours at work with no charger available?
How much batter loss over that many hours in say -30 weather, assuming car was fully charged and drove 40km to work. Clearly I shouldn't have to worry about getting home, but just curious as to how much range will be lost from sitting in the cold that long.

Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Anyone have any idea how much range will be lost if parked for 8 hours at work with no charger available?
How much batter loss over that many hours in say -30 weather, assuming car was fully charged and drove 40km to work. Clearly I shouldn't have to worry about getting home, but just curious as to how much range will be lost from sitting in the cold that long.

Thanks!
My experience leads me to believe very little. I have left my volt parked at an outdoor airport parking lot unplugged for over a week (in buffalo, over a week long Christmas vacation) to come back to -20 something weather with crazy snow etc. I used mountain mode to leave some charge in the battery having the same concern that you have here. When I got back, I still had about the same range left on the gauge. I think that the storage conditions for the battery are different than the operating conditions. I don't remember exact occasion, but I think that I went into low propulsion power mode once, so that the battery had more time to warm up before hitting full power. This is probably where there is some range consumption, but it wasn't really noticeable.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
It shouldn't be noticeable at all considering on average, if you leave it at home, it'll typically be 8-12 hours so it shouldn't be that bad ?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah unless it is -40 out you shouldn't see any loss over 8 hours. In the winter it is always better to keep the car plugged in when you can even if it is not charging but leaving it out in the cold under normal winter temps for a shift it will be fine. As long as you keep it plugged in when you are at home you should never have a problem.

If you were to have a real cold snap where it is going to be -40 or below you should try and find a normal 110V plug to tend the battery temp while you are in work.

I too have left my Volt out for a weeks in January and February at the airport while I was down in the sunny south and I have come back to find no noticeable change in battery level.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts