Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Brand new Bolt owner here, picked up two nights ago, electrician installed outlet last night. I live near Toronto; right now, temperature is around -7C.

The outlet was upgraded to 60amps with the 240v 14-50 dryer plug.

My EVSE is a JuiceBox Pro that can deliver 40amps.

When I plug my Bolt in, the info I get says that it is only charging at 11.7-11.8amps giving almost 3kwh, even though the EVSE has been set to deliver at 32amps max Bolt capacity. I started charging at 2100h and the car is currently telling me it will be full at 1300h.

So I am not sure if it is a car/battery issue, an EVSE issue or a wiring issue.

My settings are to charge immediately; rate preference is off.

Any ideas?

I am wondering if somehow I am stuck on a Level 1 charge setting even though my outlet is now set up for Level 2... even though I thought Level 2 kicks in automatically when the car senses that it’s there...

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
My EVSE is a JuiceBox Pro that can deliver 40amps.

When I plug my Bolt in, the info I get says that it is only charging at 11.7-11.8amps giving almost 3kwh, even though the EVSE has been set to deliver at 32amps max Bolt capacity. I started charging at 2100h and the car is currently telling me it will be full at 1300.

Thanks
I'm wondering if the climate control is on because that will draw amps depending on how cold it is. I also have the juice box pro-40 and after setting it up I plugged it into the Bolt and it started charging 6 - 7 KW without changing anything. If you have the Wi-Fi setup and the app installed on your cell phone you can monitor and control the charging from your cell phone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Absolutely, I set the JuiceNet app up as directed and that is what I am using indoors to look at how the car is charging. The JuiceBox is set to put out 32amps right now; it’s putting out slightly less than 3kw. The car has been off while charging and so climate control has not been on. Even if it was on, the issue is that the output from the JuiceBox is only 11.7amps

My biggest concern is that there is something wrong with the car, the JuiceBox or how the electrician wired the outlet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whew! I unplugged the JuiceBox and the plug from the car, waited a few minutes, and tried hooking them up again; it worked. I don’t know why they didn’t work the first couple of times I tried them last night, but go figure. All seems good now. Thanks

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hi all,

When I plug my Bolt in, the info I get says that it is only charging at 11.7-11.8amps giving almost 3kwh, even though the EVSE has been set to deliver at 32amps max Bolt capacity. I started charging at 2100h and the car is currently telling me it will be full at 1300h.
What was the range left when you started charging?

·
Registered
645 Posts
The rate of battery charging slows down considerably as the battery nears full - you might see as little as 5a during the last 10% of charging.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really don’t know what it is. I plugged it in again tonight, 11.7amps; unplugged, fiddled with both the outlet plug as well as the j1772, suddenly started charging at 32amps. Go figure. Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd be tempted to check the receptacles and plugs to make sure they are clean. They way I understand it, these L2 chargers are sensitive to the quality of the connection. Good luck!

·
Registered
168 Posts
It could be three things - the first one, you can look into (a setting (or malfunction) in the juicebox) or the second, a protection relay in the car (dealer only can diagnose). Or Third, (My guess) is that it could be some sort of bad signal pin connection from the J1772 to the car, which is why unplugging and plugging back in works sometimes.

As far as the "plugs" go, you either have a connection or not. You will either see voltage or not. If you draw amps and have a bad connection, you will probably feel the plug get hot, but I doubt that is the case. None of these things affect the available amperage - unless something seriously sketchy is going on (highly unlikely). I doubt you have any specific wiring issues with that receptacle. It is a dead simple installation for an electrician.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts