Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With this crazy weather and also at other times streets get flooded where water touches the bottom of the chassis and with ice vehicles we drive through slowly, my question is with our Bolt’s where are batteries make up part of the bottom of our chassis, is the batteries water protected if they get partially submerged. Even when parked outside possible water main break could go above the batteries. Not sure if this was brought up about water and our batteries.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
I've heard that a Tesla will float. If the battery is properly sealed in its compartment, maybe the Bolt will also float.

you can see the seal in this picture where the top bolts to.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
FYI, GM did testing with the T-shaped battery pack on the Gen 1 Volt here:

You can see a Gen 2 owner brave some deep water here:

I myself have done like the above Gen 2 owner (didn't mean to, couldn't see the puddle until too late) and nothing broke in the year after that puddle (I ran into it in fall 2016, traded the Volt in fall 2017).

The T-shaped battery is installed from the bottom similar to the Bolt's skateboard battery, but I'm not sure if they used the same seals or not. I would wager they would.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Nissan did similar trough tests with the Leaf. They had videos of it when it first came out. I am sure every OEM does these tests. That said, EV's left sitting in flood waters have been scrapped out. I am sure if they sat with the battery pack submerged for several days there is a good chance of some water entry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts