Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy
Been looking for a used Bolt in the Atlanta area. I drove one ( 2017) yesterday that I am pretty sure had the recall work done. The Chevy website showed incomplete for the VIN. However the Hilltop Reserve mode option is not available under the Energy selections. Also when I showed up to test drive it they had it charged to 100% and the displayed range was 187 miles. They arent really savvy ( charging to 100% and they were not aware of any recalls ) with the Bolt so I am kinda on my own to get questions answered. My question to the group is does the range of 187 miles at "100%" charge after the recall work seem about right for a 2017 Bolt from the San Jose CA area? I know batteries will degrade over time but adding 10% back to the range is 207 miles - is that what everyone else has experienced?
Thanks

2008 Camry XLE 185,000 miles ..... until I buy a Bolt :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Short answer: maybe. Estimated range is derived from multiple factors (past driving history, temperature, terrain and a few others), and is not a reliable/accurate measure of the battery. The best method to check battery health is with an OBD ll dongle and the Torque Pro app. You can find multiple threads on this site covering it's use.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
My question to the group is does the range of 187 miles at "100%" charge after the recall work seem about right for a 2017 Bolt from the San Jose CA area?
Seems low based on my 2017. But I get a little over 5 miles/kWh. You can use the steering wheel up and down errors to toggle through the driver's instrument cluster screens to see what efficiency the car is showing. When reset, the car goes to 3.9 miles/kWh. So 187 divided by that is 48 kWh. 48kWh divided by 0.9 for a 90% full charge level is 53 kWh. But cars sitting at dealers sometimes have pretty low efficiency from being turned on repeatedly without being driven. Working backwards, I would guess the car is showing 3.6 miles/kWh if the battery is around nominal for being three/four years old.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Seems low based on my 2017. But I get a little over 5 miles/kWh. You can use the steering wheel up and down errors to toggle through the driver's instrument cluster screens to see what efficiency the car is showing. When reset, the car goes to 3.9 miles/kWh. So 187 divided by that is 48 kWh. 48kWh divided by 0.9 for a 90% full charge level is 53 kWh. But cars sitting at dealers sometimes have pretty low efficiency from being turned on repeatedly without being driven. Working backwards, I would guess the car is showing 3.6 miles/kWh if the battery is around nominal for being three/four years old.
So far the best I can muster on my 2020 is 4.6 miles/Kwh.... I drive in L mode, try and keep acceleration no higher than 20kw and keep my tires at 42 psi. I dont know how you guys do it!

Craig

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
So far the best I can muster on my 2020 is 4.6 miles/Kwh.... I dont know how you guys do it! Craig
Turning off the HVAC will do it.
Leaving it on charge while parked in the driveway and only using it to listen to NPR is another option, but most of us in the northern tier want our Bolts to be comfortable transportation during the winter months.

Precondition while on the grid, then use HVAC at comfort level, heated steering wheel, heated seats as needed or fuggediboudit and trade it for something which actually works for my needs.

Back to the OPs question, using it as a real car, our Bolt is always charged to hilltop reserve and usually GOMs about 140 miles in the dead of winter.

jack vines

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
Leaving it on charge while parked in the driveway and only using it to listen to NPR is another option, but most of us in the northern tier want our Bolts to be comfortable transportation during the winter months.

Precondition while on the grid, then use HVAC at comfort level, heated steering wheel, heated seats as needed or fuggediboudit and trade it for something which actually works for my needs.

Back to the OPs question, using it as a real car, our Bolt is always charged to hilltop reserve and usually GOMs about 140 miles in the dead of winter.

jack vines

Yeah. I didn't say we do it, just that it will work to increase your efficiency. :giggle:

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
usually GOMs about 140 miles in the dead of winter.
Yeah, but the car is in San Jose, CA. It was 58F there yesterday when I checked the weather. Me, I just put up the outside Christmas lights in my tee shirt, shorts, and flip flops and is 60F outside. My GOM was 230 at HTR and I was thinking that was kind of low for me. That's because I had just used the freeway before plugging it in for the night. I run outside air this time of year so I don't have to run the air conditioner! Haven't used the heater yet this winter.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It does seem low ATLBuckeye, but the range guess on the dash is not a reliable measure without further knowledge for you.
As others stated, it is just the cars "GUESS" at the range based on recent driving. So if it was driven on the highway at 80 mph to deplete the last charge on the battery, 180 miles would be a great battery!
But if it was driven in the city at 35 mph to deplete the last charge, then the battery is horrible!

hope this makes sense as you cant go by "Range" in an EV per se.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Howdy
Been looking for a used Bolt in the Atlanta area. I drove one ( 2017) yesterday that I am pretty sure had the recall work done. The Chevy website showed incomplete for the VIN. However the Hilltop Reserve mode option is not available under the Energy selections. Also when I showed up to test drive it they had it charged to 100% and the displayed range was 187 miles. They arent really savvy ( charging to 100% and they were not aware of any recalls ) with the Bolt so I am kinda on my own to get questions answered. My question to the group is does the range of 187 miles at "100%" charge after the recall work seem about right for a 2017 Bolt from the San Jose CA area? I know batteries will degrade over time but adding 10% back to the range is 207 miles - is that what everyone else has experienced?
Thanks

You do not check Bolt HV battery health by looking at GOM information.... you ask them to preform battery health diagnostic printout of the battery that will show you everything you need to know.... and trust no pre made printout...beside one done in your presence.... if they are trying to give other talk around... be very careful it is a rabbit in the 🎒.....
That is how you buy used EV .....
Remember it is you who are in power of your ..💰 ... before you make a move... they are one to earn your business.. so use this technique or if they are trying to play you around.... go to other places where they will show you whatever you ask to earn your business.

·
Registered
212 Posts
So far the best I can muster on my 2020 is 4.6 miles/Kwh.... I drive in L mode, try and keep acceleration no higher than 20kw and keep my tires at 42 psi. I dont know how you guys do it!

Craig
I've seen as high as 4.9 miles/kwh driving a steady 55 mph down the highway. As for this time of year, forget it unless you live in a permanently mild area. Winter has me down to the middle 3 mi/kwh range.

Reactions: Craigmri

·
Registered
80 Posts
Howdy
Thanks

If the ambient temperature 40F or so, I'd expect the estimate to be correct. If higher, more miles should be available.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Howdy
Thanks

Yes. That's about what I'm seeing after the recall.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was going to say the my Chevrolet app will display about 95 percent after the recall adjustment, along with the loss of hill top reserve. It doesn’t know that I had the recall done but between those two things I think you can say that Bolt has seen the adjustment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts