Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from Chevrolet in Michigan this morning telling me I may have a problem with my battery. I made an appointment with a dealer for this afternoon and took the car in for "diagnostics." Sure enough, they tell me I have an issue -- and were willing to provide very little additional detail. They've ordered me a new battery (which the mechanic said would be $16,000 if not under warranty) and will phone me when it comes in.

My Chevy receipt has two recall numbers: 18097 and 17297. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I've had the Bolt for about 2.5 months and already have more than 5K miles on it -- it's been a great car so far...

·
Registered
624 Posts
any idea what your date of manufacture is? nice that they're proactively taking care of it before you're stranded on the side of the road.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any idea what your date of manufacture is? nice that they're proactively taking care of it before you're stranded on the side of the road.
I do not. Could I determine this from the VIN?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hmm, those recall numbers don't look at all similar to the N172127150 recall (Loss of Propulsion High Voltage Battery Without Notification).

Did GM force your car out of commission until the new battery pack comes in? If they did, hoping you get a Bolt EV as a loaner. Or at least they reimburse your for gasoline costs if they're greater than your electricity costs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I saw the recall notification in my Chevrolet Owner Center too - N172127150. No call from the dealer. So I called the service department. They said the notice might be making its way through regular mail, but to feel free and bring the car in. The Repair Description says: Reprogram hybrid powertrain control module 2. Nothing about replacing the battery.

·
Registered
70 Posts
rharshey, the "recall" you reference has nothing to do with replacing the battery. It is only a software upgrade so that the Bolt can better monitor and predict if the battery may be going bad.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did GM force your car out of commission until the new battery pack comes in?

They did not. They simply recommended that I not drain the battery below about 1/3 of total capacity until it is replaced. The dealer was unable to tell me how long it will take for the new battery to arrive, but my expectation is it will be several weeks.

The woman from Chevrolet in Detroit stated the recall is because there is a risk that the battery could provide an inaccurate reading for the remaining capacity. Seems odd to me but it must be a real problem if they are willing to replace a $16,000 component.

·
Registered
80 Posts
rharshey, the "recall" you reference has nothing to do with replacing the battery. It is only a software upgrade so that the Bolt can better monitor and predict if the battery may be going bad.
Just had the recall done, going to the dealer I used just over 5 KW for 26 miles on local stop and go roads, going home I used 14 KW for the same 26 miles driving the same way, either the software is bad or my battery pack, only 750 miles on the car. Also thought I smelled a burning rubber smell.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's what I thought too... but you are incorrect. I took my bolt in for this very recall and the guy told me they needed to order the parts (battery). I asked him why since the site said re-program. He assured me that new batteries were needed. I am not sure if he is talking about cells or the whole thing. Anyway, they are on order.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Mine goes in Wednesday. I have 11/16 build date. I would assume one of the first batch. Just turned 17k miles.

·
Registered
449 Posts
That's what I thought too... but you are incorrect. I took my bolt in for this very recall and the guy told me they needed to order the parts (battery). I asked him why since the site said re-program. He assured me that new batteries were needed. I am not sure if he is talking about cells or the whole thing. Anyway, they are on order.
I believe the replacement of your battery is due to the VIN and/or OnStar data that has reported potential low voltage cell issue.
I went in for the recall and got an invoice back that the update was not required for my Bolt.
Still got the 14.5.0 Radio update - but that is all.

Congrats on the brand new Battery you will be getting!

·
Registered
575 Posts
The build date can be found on the silver sticker described by Vertiformed. You do not need to decipher the VIN to figure this out: it's clearly marked on the sticker. Earlier production dates are known to be more susceptible to battery failure.

It sounds like you have a defective battery. The advisory for the software upgrade (not a recall) is a separate issue, and is not directly related to your apparent battery failure.

The entire battery is replaced: all 960 pounds of it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update

I just spoke to the service-writer at my Chebby dealership. The new battery for my car is on order but he had no guess as to ETA -- other than to say he expects it to be "several weeks."

I will chime in again when I learn more...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.