Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read two recent articles saying GM had another software update for Bolts that would reduce the maximum charge to 80%, but would allow owners to park their cars back inside their garages and let their batteries go below the current 70 mile limit. Supposedly additional battery monitoring code would also be included in the update. The articles also said Bolt owners should call their dealership with their VIN number to get on a list for the battery exchange. So, I called the dealership where I bought our Bolt and they said they still don't have any fully trained technicians to work on Bolts. When I asked when they would, they said they don't expect to be doing any battery replacements even when someone is trained to do it. The reason being they don't have the equipment necessary to handle a battery replacement. Specifically, they don't have a forklift to lift the battery, nor do they have a licensed forklift operator, nor do they have a license for battery disposal. They told me to call around to other dealerships. The next dealership I called is 30 miles away and their service department said they didn't have any information on the battery recalls or new software update. So, I guess no one knows nothing!

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
So, I guess no one knows nothing!
The dealerships you called clearly do not want to deal with EVs. Take your business to one that does. Depending on where you live, that may be far from home. The current dealer network is an impediment to the uptake of EVs. If legacy makers were serious, they would create new EV divisions with their own dealers.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Step 1 - Stop reading articles on the internet.
Step 2 - wait for letter from GM saying your VIN has a battery assigned to it. Then contact dealers and/or Bolt concierge to coordinate the replacement service.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt EV, fire edition
59 Posts
The internet gives a lot more info than GM has given us directly.

Step 2 - wait for letter from GM saying your VIN has a battery assigned to it. Then contact dealers and/or Bolt concierge to coordinate the replacement service.
Not to be salty, but as soon as you're in the -881 recall population (replacement battery, remedy available), contact your local Chevy dealership for the recall fix. It's an open recall, and Chevy is mandated by nhtsa to schedule your fix.

GM is a multi-billion dollar company, and doesn't need our charity. They messed up, and need to fix our cars.
Before anyone argues "they didn't mess up, it was LG":

1) GM decided that it was more financially advantageous for them to not design + develop the Bolt in-house and outsource everything (out of the US) to LG. Tesla's are more american made than the Bolt.
2) GM's communication through this process has been horrible. While these fixes take time, GM has been pretty silent giving us only minor non-technical updates on a serious problem.
3) Dealerships don't want to work on EV's. Getting these last few recalls done has been difficult. While GM and the EV concierge have been communicating GM doing everything in their power to solve issues (and going above and beyond), everything breaks down at the dealership level. I've seen this breakdown across multiple dealerships, across multiple recall campaigns.

While the extra 6-8% battery is awesome for 2017-2019 owners, anyone with 2020+ isn't going to "get anything" for all their time and energy. Bolt EV owners have a lot of reasons to be pissed at GM. I like the Bolt, but GM has been screwing us for a year and a half now. I do think GM has good intent, but their dealerships are smothering it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The internet gives a lot more info than GM has given us directly.
Choose your internet sources wisely . I have read a lot more articles that are confusing, and even incorrect, than I can count. Thankfully there are a number of people in this forum who do a great job of parsing through the garbage to get good information out there.

Not to be salty, but as soon as you're in the -881 recall population (replacement battery, remedy available), contact your local Chevy dealership for the recall fix. It's an open recall, and Chevy is mandated by nhtsa to schedule your fix.
This is not accurate advice. Just because GM is mandated by the NHTSA to fix the vehicle does not mean any dealer is mandated to do it. Individual dealers can refuse work any time they want (crazy, but true). It absolutely has to be a dealer with the properly trained technicians and the right equipment. Besides, replacing a $10K battery on your car is not a job for a dealer that doesn't care and isn't prepared. The fact is that the OP is going to need to find a dealer that is properly outfitted to do it.

3) Dealerships don't want to work on EV's. Getting these last few recalls done has been difficult. While GM and the EV concierge have been communicating GM doing everything in their power to solve issues (and going above and beyond), everything breaks down at the dealership level. I've seen this breakdown across multiple dealerships, across multiple recall campaigns.
You should add the word "most" in front of this. There are a number of dealers that have their stuff together and are being very helpful to EV owners. Just nowhere near enough of them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I feel your pain. In my whole province we have 1 dealer who can do this work. It happens to be the dealer I bought from which is good, but bad thing is they are 2.5 hours away from my house. The dealer in my town refuses to sell EV's. The next closest started selling the Bolts a couple years ago but has 0 techs. The next closest did too, but again no techs yet, they bought an EV company and are integrating their techs into their dealership but the techs and company were in another Province so they need certifications for here so again they will be months before they can start. I'm way down the list having a 2021 and I hope one of the closer dealers gets setup to swap batteries and does some before I have mine but at least I know the 1 dealer can and will. I will just have to suck up the long drive. Last I checked they had done 3 already and had 4th, 5th, and 6th scheduled out.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt EV, fire edition
59 Posts
Choose your internet sources wisely . I have read a lot more articles that are confusing, and even incorrect, than I can count. Thankfully there are a number of people in this forum who do a great job of parsing through the garbage to get good information out there.
Definitely true. I've seen multiple articles downright wrong. My point is if GM was more clear and forthcoming with information we wouldn't be in this mess left to crowdsource what's going on.

This is not accurate advice. Just because GM is mandated by the NHTSA to fix the vehicle does not mean any dealer is mandated to do it. Individual dealers can refuse work any time they want (crazy, but true). It absolutely has to be a dealer with the properly trained technicians and the right equipment. Besides, replacing a $10K battery on your car is not a job for a dealer that doesn't care and isn't prepared. The fact is that the OP is going to need to find a dealer that is properly outfitted to do it.
Definitely true. However GM as a company has to offer the recall fix for two years once remedy is available? (I need sources on this.. I think there's a limitation on how long a company has to offer recall work.. aka you wait 10 years and GM no longer has to replace your battery). GM would be open to litigation if only 2% of their dealerships offered to do the work.

I did my Bolt EV recalls:
  • "final software fix" - EV trained dealership + somewhat focused dealership (several EV's on lot for sale), busy
  • "final-final battery swap" - EV trained + not focused on EV's (none for sale), not busy

In both cases, getting my recall done was a massive pain. Neither dealership had a solid understanding of the recalls and I pretty much had to push each to get it done. The battery swap took several weeks with me contacting them weekly to figure out what was going on.

GM never contacted me for any of the recalls beyond the recall letters.

You should add the word "most" in front of this. There are a number of dealers that have their stuff together and are being very helpful to EV owners. Just nowhere near enough of them.
Fair. My sample size of 2 dealerships isn't a big sample... but based on what I see on reddit and here, these issues seem somewhat common.

·
Registered
2021 Nightfall Gray Metallic Bolt Premier
685 Posts
Everything in this posts just adds fuel to the fire that car manufacturers need to be able to follow Tesla's business model and turn dealerships into delivery/service centers.
But dealerships have deep pockets and have invested in politicians that support them.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Definitely true. However GM as a company has to offer the recall fix for two years once remedy is available? (I need sources on this.. I think there's a limitation on how long a company has to offer recall work.. aka you wait 10 years and GM no longer has to replace your battery). GM would be open to litigation if only 2% of their dealerships offered to do the work.
This depends on the type of "field action" that it is. In the case of any "safety recall", the manufacturer has to honor the recall so long as parts are available to complete said recall. The actual length of time they are expected to make parts varies, but at a MINIMUM they must produce any part that could still be covered under the original manufacturer's warranty.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've read two recent articles saying GM had another software update for Bolts that would reduce the maximum charge to 80%, but would allow owners to park their cars back inside their garages and let their batteries go below the current 70 mile limit. Supposedly additional battery monitoring code would also be included in the update. The articles also said Bolt owners should call their dealership with their VIN number to get on a list for the battery exchange. So, I called the dealership where I bought our Bolt and they said they still don't have any fully trained technicians to work on Bolts. When I asked when they would, they said they don't expect to be doing any battery replacements even when someone is trained to do it. The reason being they don't have the equipment necessary to handle a battery replacement. Specifically, they don't have a forklift to lift the battery, nor do they have a licensed forklift operator, nor do they have a license for battery disposal. They told me to call around to other dealerships. The next dealership I called is 30 miles away and their service department said they didn't have any information on the battery recalls or new software update. So, I guess no one knows nothing!
We have two '19 Premieres and are waiting for the Korean AWD product to arrive in Ohio. Our Bolt batteries have been better than perfect, so we can wait, and unless GM turns them off, we're not going in for recalls, for fear of having the range degraded from the 290-340 miles we get now. The high yield comes from all suburban/city low speed driving with lots of regen.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I've read two recent articles saying GM had another software update for Bolts that would reduce the maximum charge to 80%, but would allow owners to park their cars back inside their garages and let their batteries go below the current 70 mile limit. Supposedly additional battery monitoring code would also be included in the update. The articles also said Bolt owners should call their dealership with their VIN number to get on a list for the battery exchange.
On the 1st part, the bulletins are up on NHTSA's site. See Anybody have any news on the Mid-Nov software upgrade....

The bolded part is a waste of time if you car still is showing "remedy not available". See Battery replacement recall remedy tracking summary for methods to check.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've read two recent articles saying GM had another software update for Bolts...
I received this personalized email on November 19th:

Thanks again for your continued patience as the team at Chevrolet works as quickly as we can to provide you with replacement battery modules for your Bolt EV. Battery replacements have begun, and we continue to work with our battery supplier to obtain more battery modules to help speed up the replacement process.

We are pleased to inform you that we have developed an advanced diagnostic software package that will remove parking and charging limitations on your 2019 vehicle while we work on building replacement battery modules. This software will automatically limit your vehicle’s maximum state of charge to 80%, which will allow you to safely resume:

• Charging indoors overnight

• Depleting your vehicle’s battery below 70 miles (113 km) of range, resulting in greater overall vehicle range compared to GM’s prior interim charging guidance

• Parking indoors after charging

This software also contains new diagnostics designed to detect specific abnormalities that might indicate a rare battery issue in your vehicle.

This software is now available for your 2019 vehicle.
Schedule a service appointment at your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer to have the software installed. The service should take approximately 1-3 hours to complete. Until you have the software installed, we ask that you still follow our previous guidelines, which are outlined on our website:

Chevy Bolt EV & EUV Recall | Chevrolet

This software is not the final recall remedy and you will be notified when battery modules are available for replacement.

Once again, we appreciate your patience and understanding. If you have any questions, please contact the Chevrolet EV Concierge at 1-833-EVCHEVY or your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer.

Steve Hill
Vice President, Chevrolet

·
Registered
22 Posts
I set my charge level on my own to 80%, about twice a year I discharge below 70 miles. I do not plan to go in for another software update, I just did this 6 weeks ago. I will continue to park in my garage. I plan to charge to 100% just before my Thanksgiving day travel. If you hear of Bolt fire in garage on Thanksgiving morning you know it was me!

2019 Bolt, 44k miles, happy owners, plan to put 200k miles on this EV. The new battery pack will help!

Resolved Issues reported on this forum: transmission replacement, washer pump motor failures(both), melted wall plug(bad over molded plug on charger and cheap wall outlet)

·
Registered
29 Posts
And here’s the problem - GM has been hosing Bolt owners for months/years and the owners have to arrange for GM’s battery replacement??? GM should be setting up centralized centers in each metro area. For those owners in remote areas, GM should be arranging towing to a centralized center. GM has made their problem the owner’s problem which is grossly unfair and real poor customer service. Our next vehicle purchase will not likely be another GM product - I’ve been fooled once!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
And here’s the problem - GM has been hosing Bolt owners for months/years and the owners have to arrange for GM’s battery replacement??? GM should be setting up centralized centers in each metro area. For those owners in remote areas, GM should be arranging towing to a centralized center. GM has made their problem the owner’s problem which is grossly unfair and real poor customer service. Our next vehicle purchase will not likely be another GM product - I’ve been fooled once!
1) They cannot do that. It is a legal obligation to their dealers that any warranty or recall work done via GM be done via dealer. So in order to match your first request, they would have to completely rework their entire contract with dealers. That is not going to happen.
2) Has there ever been a recall in which a manufacturer did NOT require the customer to set up their own date and time for a fix? If there is, I am not aware of it. At least not for a physical repair that is needed.

I get the frustration that surrounds this, but your expectations are completely unfair. Upset with GM? Sure, find a new automaker. But at least do it for reasons that make sense (like lack of communications, length of time for the recall to get rolling, inconsistencies with how GM has presented guidance, etc).

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
He's not asking about the new battery, he's asking about the new software. That software is supposed to be available for 2019 Bolts now and for other Bolts in a month-ish.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
417 Posts
I've read two recent articles saying GM had another software update for Bolts that would reduce the maximum charge to 80%, but would allow owners to park their cars back inside their garages and let their batteries go below the current 70 mile limit. Supposedly additional battery monitoring code would also be included in the update. The articles also said Bolt owners should call their dealership with their VIN number to get on a list for the battery exchange.
You have two different topics here. One is related to the interim software update to let us charge and park indoors again. The other is referencing the battery exchange. Two different items, with two different recall numbers. For the software, you have to wait until GM makes it available for your car. It should be within the next few weeks, but so far it's not released for all model years. Calling the dealer won't accomplish anything. For the battery exchange, you again have to wait your turn. GM has a priority list, based on numerous factors that we don't completely know. When your particular car is eligible, your official recall number will change, and you will get a letter/email from GM telling you it's time to schedule the exchange. Only then do you contact your dealer to schedule it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts